• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i mean, you arent blind right? its right there.
Didn't see the ManaByte part, yikes. That's actually embarrassing for this forum. Obviously this clueless guy doesn't represent everyone but to be this blatant is actually embarrassing considering how much he posts here. He must be sweating with anger, can't say I feel bad for him after pushing console war BS.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
I mean Venom made 855 million, Spider-Man FFH made just over a Billion which Sony doesn't even get the full amount of. So would you rather get 100% of 855 million or whatever fraction of the other number they get paid?

You can't look at gross to determine how much money a film made. As was linked earlier:

Amazing Spider-Man 2's $708.98M worldwide fell short of that, and its $202.85M domestic was off and the $506M foreign was good but that enjoyed a boost from a burgeoning marketplace in China. The biggest problem, according to our data, is that the movie cost too darned much at $255M. That left Sony Pictures with a $70.38 million net, or a 1.12 cash-on-cash return, and 18th place in the 2014 rankings.

Bold is my emphasis.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
IJpERh6.gif

You can put that poor bystander into Sony or Disney, i don't care, I just want to post the gif.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I hope Disney just takes a real wherein they agree to take less financial stake. They put out like a bunch of spider-man grossing films anyway.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Rather have Disney than Rothman ruining everything.

Nov 30, 2017
Grown men and fanboy wars lol. I couldn't care less who got what. None of the Spider-Man movies have been that great that people bicker over somehow any of them were great movies.

They are all mediocre at best. Except maybe spider verse but that was a good animated film not live action.

Charsace

Chicken Chaser
Nov 22, 2017
So Kamala Khan might get fast tracked now because she is the spider man replacement in my mind.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
So no more Tom Holland in MCU films, I wonder if they will even be able to do a followup to Far From Home. Time for another Spider-man reboot with Tom Hardy Venom, I can hardly wait /s. Sony has such a great track record when working on their own (2 good Spider-man films out of 6 or 7 if you count Venom: Spider-man 2 and Into the Spiderverse)....

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Spider-Man is a top 3 comic book character brand even before Sony ever made the first movie. The fact that ASM2 in 2014 did less than any single Raimi movie did in the 2000's (before the Chinese box office boom) is a testament to Sony's incompetence with the property.
Who owns the rights to Spiderman merch not related to the movies?

Does disney get a percentage of the PS4 game?

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Well....fuck.

Spiderman Homecoming and FFH were my favourite Spiderman portrayals including his stuff in Avengers.

What a shame.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I keeps needing to be said but...

No, they did not.

The deal was they wanted to co-finance the film 50/50, which is separate from splitting profits 50/50. The amount of profit they wanted was undisclosed. You can co-finance something and take a 20/80% share, for instance.

We only know that Disney wanted to go 50/50 on financing and wanted a higher cut than 5%. We don't know what that was, and Sony never countered with anything.
It's true that we don't know exactly what the ask was. But Marvel isn't suddenly going to offer to pay for half the production in return for 5-10% extra of the profits. The ask was big enough to make Sony turn around instantly. It may not have been 50%, but it's a safe guess to think it was substantial.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Sony are being completely illogical and greedy here.

Disney makes these movies while Sony sits back and takes in free money lol

This also ignores the fact that Sony are lucky enough to have the Spider-man movie rights in perpetuity as long as they shit out a garbage reboot every 5-7 years due to Marvel being in such a weak negotiating position back in the 90s.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No marvel means I can go back to ignoring Spiderman movies.

Honestly, what is Sony thinking.

Given that they seemingly burned the house down instead of counteroffering beyond the initial deal, it's "we'd rather just go our own way. Hey, we got a hit with Venom!"

Though I do think the theory that we're all just seeing an ongoing negotiation game of tennis with fan's collective hearts used as the ball is fairly accurate.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (5 Days) - History of trolling throughout multiple threads
TIL that MCU stans are actually children

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
This. Sony is high on the box office success of Venom and Far From Home right now going "we can do this shit by ourselves". If they can then it would make sense from them to walk away from Disney. But can they? They probably can´t. The question then becomes can Sony make more money by putting out crap Spider-Man movies by themselves or by putting out good Spider-Man movies with Marvel and sharing the profits.

I agree with this, BUT if the numbers are right and it's a 50/50 cut, yes sony can very easily do 600 million with a shitty spiderman movie. It's basically a no lose situation for them.

Oct 25, 2017
I know everyone has been down on Sony Pictures since the Pascal leak but why the fuck does Disney need half of the Spider-Man movie gross, you get to use the character in your big crossover movies and he's set up to have a bigger role in them. They already have several other individual Marvel franchises that can make a billion dollars and just bought potentially a couple more with Fox.

This is on Disney, fucking lame.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
But seriously though, why would you boycott the best console in the world? Don't be like that. Just play Insomniac's Spider-Man and chill out.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Spiderverse is hugely overrated. Not even Top 3.
Visually its the best Spider-man movie but the last half ( when Spider-Noir/Ham and Pennie are introduced) takes the movie from masterpiece status to just really good. The pacing and character interactions just don't get enough time to breath.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
Wow so much hate in this thread lol.. Sony just made the best Spider-Man movie of all time without Marvel called "Into the Spider-Verse". If they take what they learned from that film and make it live action they'll be fine.
I don't count Inter the Spider-verse in these talks.

It was the greatest Comic Book movie that YEAR and it works ... because (Slaps cheeks in shock) maybe making a dynamic, visually stunning animated movie for a dynamic and visually stunning comic book makes sense.

When you gotta make this shit look right with real people everything gets harder and all cost balloon too much. MCU found a system that works, many haven't. So Sony, keep doing Spider-verse movies. That's that good shit.

But when in live action you make trash like SM3/ Amazing SM1-2 and that HOT garbo Venom movie (which I'm sure made bank purely because people were thirsty for Venom. As someone else in this thread said, it seems crazy to think that Venom's success is any indication of people being interested in Silver and Black or w/e else Sony wants to poop out in their Spider-Villain-verse) I side with "let Marvel handle that shit" cause I don't like where they go on their own.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

*inhales sharply*

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Status
Not open for further replies.