• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
o3oChsS.jpg

aTdfK0O.jpg

6QoSeSM.jpg

Kww2VA9.jpg

But which character is the dog with the puffy tail?

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, so Disney didn't even want half of the profits for nothing? They also wanted to pay for half of the budget?

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mod Edit: Removed Off-Site Drama

He's not really wrong.

But it really doesn't matter whose fault it was, the entire situation blows.

EDIT: How about letting me get my edit in before the dogpile. The site is moving slow as fuck on mobile right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Hope Sony enjoys not making anywhere near the amount of money they could have with Marvel.

Spider-Verse rules but isn't a money maker. Hopefully Disney and Sony can renegotiate a deal.

I mean Venom made 855 million, Spider-Man FFH made just over a Billion which Sony doesn't even get the full amount of. So would you rather get 100% of 855 million or whatever fraction of the other number they get paid?

Leunamus

May 18, 2019
Heh, maybe I'm still in shock but I really don't expect this to last. I'm certain they'll renew the agreement.
Anyways, I'm really confused now. The article states that both Holland and Watts are to return for two more films, but then said films will not be part of the MCU?
How does that work?

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Endgame 2 is gonna be about jumping through time to stop Marvel from selling the rights to all their characters in the 1990s

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
If they do end up coming to an agreement, Feige better have a gameplan to write Spiderman out of the MCU so they don't have to deal with Sony again.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Those first two Raimi movies were 15+ years ago. Raimi's third movie was bad, though admittedly that's only partly because of Sony. Then Sony made two more bad Spider-Man movies. And then they made Venom last year. As far as live action Spidey films go, Sony's track record is more negative than positive and you have to reach back as far as possible for the positive. The whole reason there was a deal with Disney in the first place is because Sony ran the franchise into the ground!

Spider-Verse was great but I would not be surprised to see Avi Arad try to ruin that film's sequel now that he's got an Oscar from the first.

jeez this is baseless speculation for the sake of your argument. What a strange thing to say.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
As I understand it, Disney was pushing to cover more of the costs of making the films. Sooooo. What?

They asked Sony to pay for half of the production budget. Sony told them no and asked them to just take 5% of the revenue from the first day, like they do now. Disney said no. That's all we know. Maybe Feige called Vinciquerra a dickhead, who knows.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Oh please. Your posturing from the beginning has been a "Sony vs. Marvel" attitude from the jump and then somehow you extended it to "Sony fans blah blah". I'm done with this conversation and putting you on ignore.

Because I had the audacity to relativize this discussion about IP rights lol

Anyone scratcing their heads at all the feelings in this thread should give this video a watch.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean holy shit

X-men alone has a stable of characters to keep the MCU flush along with their big hitters like Black Panther and Captain Marvel.

Throw Wolverine, Black Panther, and Deadpool into a movie together somehow and there's a billion right there.

Also since the MCU seems to be limited to 3-4 movies per year, I think Spiderman will be fine on his own. Everyone wins except for people that wanted more Spiderman story in the MCU. It's also more likely that fans will get even more Spiderman movies than they would have previously under the MCU umbrella.

And people who want good marvel films. I can't think of any Sony marvel films that lived up to Tobey Spidy 1-2 and X 1-2. Oh and Logan

Kinketsu

Nov 17, 2017
I don't really get the Disney is being greedy comments. They resurrected the character after stinkers killed, did all the work and made Sony nearl 1.5 billion in the process while only getting 5 percent of the direct loot. Isn't renegotiation reasonable? It might not have ended up 50 50 if Sony stayed to talk. Hopefully it is all just a power play

I wonder what the contracts look like. I can't imagine Tom Holland is obligated to appear since the terms of his contract will have been changed.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Oh fuck.

Tom Rothman.

Tom Rothman is responsible for making all the changes to XMen 3 (removing 90% of the Jean Grey storyline, slashing the budget in 1/3rds), Wolverine Origins (saying that Deadpool doesn't work as a character and having his mouth sewn shut), he also made all the changes to Fan4stic and Venom.

He is not the person you want having creative control over a comic book movie.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully they'll still reach an agreement down the line, cutting out Spiderman from the MCU would really suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.