• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 25448

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
ECcUci6WwAEV8VH

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
True, haven't seen Venom. But it's not because of that dud that all next non-MCU Spider-Man would suck. They have recently shown they can make a great Spider-Man movie. Just like the MCU-movies are automatically great. Far From Home made buck (so did Venom), but the movie itself was mediocre at best imo.

I'm not going to argue about the succes of the MCU, even though I have my critims. It's there because of the great work of the creative teams behind it, taking their time to build it up and striking gold with The Avengers (which they have Whedon to thank for too.) Other universes mostly proved that you can't force it. MCU's succes now is that audiences are really interested. Despite feeling some fatigue and suffering from diminishing returns, I still go see the new ones in the first week. It's like a soap opera you follow and can't give up.

Like I already said, not being in the MCU doesn't mean a superhero movie automatically sucks, just like being a MCU-movie automatically mean a it will be great (FFH was a dud, and lots of MCU movies are very safe and forgetable. It's mostly those thinking outside of the box I tend to remember and really like, like GotG and Ragnarok).
Agreed completely!

However the track records of many companies chasing similar success has proven more consistent than the ONE or two successes.

To be blunt/fair I'm done with the MCU for the most part outside of Spiderman after Endgame, and have no investment on the rest of it, but an exception doesn't disprove the rule imo.

I disagree on some of the other movies, for example I think Ragnarok is a complete dumpster fire as is GOTG2, but that's the nature of differing opinions in media. We'll see if it does end up not being renewed if Sony can step up to the plate. As much as I'll be cheering for Disney to stop owning everything, I also want quality and too many pieces of media are there to cash in on a brand these days to me.

Good chat though!

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Is Feige's secret sauce really worth nearly $300 million? Because that's how much they're giving up if they took this deal from Disney. Besides, Jon Watts was the director, so he mainly oversaw most of the creative portions of the film anyway. I like Feige, but he's not worth giving up that kind of cash for.
Disney bought Marvel for $4Bn and between Endgame and Captain Marvel, they grossed basically that much in box office receipts in the last 5 months, plus in that same period they just handed Sony their highest grossing film ever on a silver platter.

It's worth it.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
You know Disney/Marvel is sitting there thinking that they were able to make GotG and other B tier Marvel properties into a huge success without paying anyone else.

They already have too many characters and not enough movies planned. I'm sure they figured out that they don't really need Spiderman.

I think this too actually. They have almost too much on the plate now and they haven't even touched Fantastic Four or the entire X-Men Universe. It's great having Spiderman but I think they are fine without. I don't even know how he fits anymore with the current slate of upcoming content.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
no, disney is.

sony can make subpar spiderman movies which will make plenty of money w/o disney. disney got greedy.
The studio that made the most successful Spider-Man movies and made him more culturally relevant than ever is greedy for wanting 50% of the profits for movies they made entirely in their own while Sony just sat back and raked in the profits? 🤔

Sleepyhead86

Oct 27, 2017
Well, this was the inevitable end, but I was hoping to at least have a few more years.

I don't even know how you move forward in the story without acknowledging that Spider man is no longer in the MCU

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How is wanting to keep the deal they had being greedy? The had a plan when they made the deal and executed on it, it's not like sony surprised them and made spider-man a huge mcu character under disney's Noses. Everyone was happy with how things were working. Disney is the one trying to change things.

Not only does Disney want the spider-man money, they want the venom money and the morbius money too. It's kind of absurd to think just how much of Sony movie profits Disney is trying to take.

It's equally absurd to think Sony would have generated those levels of profit without their Spider-Man films being attached to the MCU.

Do you have any idea how much momentum and cache was behind Far From Home because it was the first MCU film post-Endgame?

They're both greedy companies looking to maximize profits. It just so happens Disney has all the chips given the success of the MCU.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
They better be able to work this shit out. Spiderman is the best remaining part of the MCU and Tom Holland is the best Spiderman we have ever had.

This is fucking bullshit.

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
In what world do you think the current MCU doesn't need Spidey????!

Just the regular one? Spider-man is great but most of the MCU films (by a vast margin) don't have him. They will be more than fine. To think a single thing would change if Spider-man disappeared tomorrow requires Terrence Howard levels of denial. And we saw how that turned out. While Sony blows $400m on Venom 2, Marvel will go make another billion on the Slapstick movie or something.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I skimmed throughout the thread but why all the fuck sony?
because sony should be smart to accept a 50/50 cofinance deal where they lose more bo return while marvel still getting all the merch. also, marvel would maybe help with other sony marvel movies. it didn't seem right in the calculators for sony so they said no. no one asks for 50/50 cofinance for little return.

PantherLotus

Oct 27, 2017
people are siding with Disney because the MCU is good, new Spidey is great, and Feige is the reason for both, and Sony is bad at this. Disney has a right to be greedy in this instance because they make better products. Sony wants to take their ball and go home? Goooooood luck.

What's funny is that Feige and MCU folks actually have the chops to fix this in the films moving forward and for it to actually make sense, somehow. Ask yourselves what is the very best thing Sony could do, even with Holland, and well, nightmares man.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
LOL This is so delusional, it's almost sad. I'm trying to conceivably understand how not giving up almost 50% of their IP to Disney somehow makes Sony the bad guy. My mind is blown right now.

To be clear, there is no good guy and bad guy, these are corporations bickering over an IP.

Framing this a "good guy vs bad guy" is painfully embarassing, no matter what you think about the situation.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing Spider-Man 2 despite relative fatigue and middling impressions still made $700 million world wide. A Venom solo movie just made $800 million world wide. The property is definitely elevated being associated with the MCU, but it would be far from dead.

Amazing Spider-Man 2 did terrible. You can't look at the total gross without looking at the budget + marketing budget.

https://deadline.com/2015/03/amazing-spider-man-2-profit-box-office-2014-1201389608/

These companies don't put big dollars, effort, and energy to make that pitiful of an RoI. See also: BvS and Justice League.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
The studio that made the most successful Spider-Man movies and made him more culturally relevant than ever is greedy for wanting 50% of the profits for movies they made entirely in their own while Sony just sat back and raked in the profits? 🤔

exactly. now they dont get any of the money or get to use him.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wow so much hate in this thread lol.. Sony just made the best Spider-Man movie of all time without Marvel called "Into the Spider-Verse". If they take what they learned from that film and make it live action they'll be fine.

Y'all keep bringing up Spiderverse when people are spelling out that they want Holland to remain in the MCU

Anyone invested in Spider-Man being a part of that universe loses today

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Venom made almost $900 million ... giving away 1/2 your profit so you can maybe make $100 million more simply isn't smart business.

If Sony can keep the same writers from the last movie on board with a cushy pay raise, the quality of the films should maintain and now being able to cross over with Venom should add $$$.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
User Banned (5 Days): Off-Site Drama, Thread Derailment, And Antagonizing Other Users; Prior Warnings for Antagonistic Behavior
Gotta admit its hilarious to watch MCU fan boys having meltdowns.

Manabyte is having a full on mental break down on Twitter.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Can't imagine this is anything more than negotiation tactics. Is this the first we are hearing of any negotiations, right? Seems an overreaction from fans on either side, tbh.
It's basically exactly what Disney wants. They didn't want to go into D23 without anything to say about Spider-Man, and leaking this story to the press frames Sony as being arrogant and fucking the character up for the third consecutive time. Sony gets pressured into making a counteroffer, Disney gets to make the good news in front of fans & press.

Disney's got more to lose out of this than Sony, honestly. Sony's got the contracts with creative to turn out follow up films that can likely be successful without the MCU, and can be used to boost their non-Spiderman spin-off movies. The whole Venom universe won't ever make as much as the MCU, but at least Sony keeps all of it instead of giving half to a competitor.

Meanwhile, Disney now has to write their new posterboy out of the spotlight - immediately.

MeBecomingI

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why a 50/50 co-financing split between exactly two studios that are co-producing a movie is supposed to be seen as 'insanely greedy'?

Because if Disney is going to be putting up more money to finance the film, you can be absolutely certain they are going to be asking for a lot more in return profits; that is likely why Sony walked. They aren't just going to offer to spend hundreds of millions on co-financing a film with Sony and still only make 5% of the first dollar gross. Disney is a business after all. There are clearly other factors that aren't being reported. Why else did Sony want to keep the status quo? Sony are the ones spending the money to make the films as they are right now so you think they'd be okay with a 50/50 co-financing split? Well, not if Disney is asking for a significantly higher amount than 5% first dollar gross. I mean, it might have even been a 50/50 revenue split, 20% first dollar, etc, etc.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Oh that fucking suck.
They should have tried to make that deal before finishing the previous phase, we could at least have had a decent break done in the movies.

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018
Well, this was the inevitable end, but I was hoping to at least have a few more years.

I don't even know how you move forward in the story without acknowledging that Spider man is no longer in the MCU
I mean I hope they really work it out, if not maybe have the characters reference a funeral and not mention who died but we all know who it was....

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
its still under Sony. Might be a different studio, but these entities aren't that far removed from another that they can't learn from the positives others do.

Spider-Verse was as good as it was largely due to Lord and Miller, who aren't attached to the sequel. Sony signed them for Animated Series though.

Their garbo Venom movie made almost 900M dollars worldwide. The ASM movies both made over 700M. Where exactly is the sense in giving up 50% of Spider-man's gross to Disney? Or any kind of substantial percentage?

Disney just got greedy as fuck.
Brink of madness? I'm saying it's funny watch everybody bitch at sony for not giving up 50% of their most valuable film asset, when they can EASILY make that money putting out trash. As pointed out time and time again, sony made nearly a billion with that trash venom movie and nearly 800 million with those trash TASM movies. a 50/50 cut even at 1.2 billion like far from home made, is 600 million. It's very very basic math. I would assume this also means sony gets merchandising rights back for their future movies, so that's even more profit. This is a no brainer for sony, stop laying it at their feet when disney tried to bend them over.

ASM 2 made roughly $700 million on a $293 million budget. Considering films largely aren't considered profitable until after they double their budget, ASM 2 was a financial bomb considering the property.

For comparison:

ASM 1 made $757 mill on a $230 mill budget.
Spiderman made $821 mill on a $139 mill budget
Spiderman 2 made $783 mill on a $200 mill budget
Spiderman 3 made $890 mill on a $258 mill budget.

Spiderman Homecoming made $880 mill on a $175 mill budget
Spiderman Far From home made $1.1 billion on a $160 mill budget

Sony needs creatives with a clear vision and understanding in order to make Spidey films reach their best profit potential. And we haven't seen that consistently from them. This decision isn't a no-brainer from Sony. It's a gamble. It might pay off but it might not. We have to wait and see.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hope Sony enjoys not making anywhere near the amount of money they could have with Marvel.

Spider-Verse rules but isn't a money maker. Hopefully Disney and Sony can renegotiate a deal.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Sony is fucking stupid.
Sony still gonna make tons of money with unrelated MCU Spider-Man content if even Venom can make money for them, and if Disney really wants it that badly
they'll pay Sony even more money to get this over with which just means more disney bucks for Sony. Sony would make so much money with the dangling carrot of Spider Man over Disney's mouth, Marvel was just really stupid to sell of movie deals early on so sucks to be them.

Status
Not open for further replies.