• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
The key thing to remember is that the "fuck Sony" and "fuck Disney" sentiment is the entire reason why this story was leaked. If Disney leaked it, they likely believe people would be in an uproar and blame Sony (which is what is happening) and if Sony leaked it (which would be misreading of things) they expected a strong "fuck Disney" war cry.

I feel like this is Disney starting to leverage all that they have to force Sony into a deal. And it is absolutely the right play for them, because they do have leverage to use.

Spidey

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Give Lord and Miller the keys to the castle for all live action Spider-Man, they were already linked to live action TV in their Spidey deal, let them oversee this as well.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like how everyone's blaming Sony for this when Disney was the one that was looking for a 50:50 split. Sony can make pretty good money with so-so movies, so it really seems like Disney pushed too far too fast.
Disney are chiefly responsible for the success of the Spider-Man movies though. They want their dollar for future ones.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, because the target Disney was aiming for likely wasn't actually 50%. Disney is in a position to negotiate based on how integral they were to the success of the Spider-Man films. Sony responded to an attempt to negotiate by saying they wouldn't negotiate.

That's not an "attempt to negotiate", that's an insult. If someone comes to me and demands 50% of my business or he leaves, I would tell him to fuck off.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
It literally says

It doesn't say Feige won't be a part of the next two Spider-Man films. It says he WILL be a part of them, UNLESS something dramatic happens.

Read y'all.

Also, we don't know all of the details as we weren't there. Perhaps Disney wanted that 50/50 and wanted no less. Perhaps SONY wanted more and Disney wasn't willing to budge.

" Unless something dramatic happens, Feige won't be the lead creative producer of those pictures. "

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
It literally says

It doesn't say Feige won't be a part of the next two Spider-Man films. It says he WILL be a part of them, UNLESS something dramatic happens.

Read y'all.

Also, we don't know all of the details as we weren't there. Perhaps Disney wanted that 50/50 and wanted no less. Perhaps SONY wanted more and Disney wasn't willing to budge.

Take your own advice.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
Are we forgetting that Sony made the best Spiderman movie only one year ago? Into the Spider-verse destroys any MCU movie imo.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Disney and Sony deserve blame, mostly Disney. I hope Feige just tells everyone to chill but I think the damage is done.

GET READY FOR VENOM V SPIDEY: 2022

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Jumanji made one billion on word of mouth alone. They're not going anywhere.
The unfortunate reality of the film industry is that one billion dollar franchise won't keep the boat afloat forever. Believe me, there's going to be one hell of a blowback from audiences once this news spreads even further. Vernon was already skating on some thin ice and only succeeded off of star power alone, without proper handling of the Spider-Man IP, Sony's future really does not look too bright. I'm not saying that they're going to sink like a stone within the next year or two, I'm just saying that 10 years from now, they won't have a single leg to stand on when their film portfolio has all but dried up and they've run their most valuable IP's into the ground.

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
Insomniac:

2zo1ki.jpg
Oh shit, please no. Didn't think of potential implications for the game. Hopefully it won't be affected

Stoopkid

Oct 27, 2017
It literally says

Read y'all.

Feige was an producer on the asm movies too..

Prompto

Oct 25, 2017
Give Lord and Miller the keys to the castle for all live action Spider-Man, they were already linked to live action TV in their Spidey deal, let them oversee this as well.
That could be a good outcome of this but I doubt that would happen. They kind of seem stretched thin already

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017

Flaurehn

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico City
As far as the movies go, current Spidey is more reliant on being in the MCU than the opposite by a lot, I think the BO appeal will tank if they make a sequel ignoring that fact, so I don't know if a reboot would be better than ignoring past MCU Spidey movies but I think it would

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Sony Pictures just signed their death warrant as a studio. They have literally nothing other than Venom and once they take creative control of Spider-Man over again, it is going straight into the sewer. I'm fucking crestfallen.

Sony just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about comic-book movie culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is with the DCEU where you can become successful by being an edgy asshole. If you screw someone over part of the MCU, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the MCU fans, after hearing about this, are not going to want to purchase Spider-Man tickets or Venom either, nor will they purchase any tickets to Spider-verse sequels. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated an entire market with this move.

Sony, publicly apologize and give Disney 50% for future Spidey films or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao it was too good. Two great Spiderman movies in a row was just too much. The curse had to come back.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Depending on the value to the negotiating parties, you actually do. Every offer starts with bullshit, and whittles down to something they can agree on.
You only counter if you actually need the deal. Sony does not. Sony isn't some upstart on Shark Tank who will give away 50% of their profit for 100k. To say otherwise is incredibly naive.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Welp, but I guess the 50/50 is a bit crazy. Too bad they couldn't come up with something, and MCU Spidey is going to get screwed. :/

PunchyMalone

May 1, 2018
Disney didn't have any say on Spiderverse, right? And I liked that way more than any of the MCU films.

But I'm still having flashbacks to Amazing Spider Man 2 right now. So I don't know what to feel.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I can see how the old deal couldn't have worked for Disney. They don't have an Avengers movie on the horizon to utilise Spider-Man in, and that was the financial upside for Disney as I understand it.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
Maybe. Or maybe they start making good Spider-Man movies, or middling movies like Venom that make good box office that they don't have to split half of with someone else.

The idea that a company is stupid because they just didn't turn around give half of their business away because that's what MCU fans would want is laughable.

I know because Sony is still doing the shit the did when making ASM. Silver & Black? A Kraven movie? Come ON. They're also planning to make a million tie ins to Spiderverse, and we were shown with the other franchise Lord and Miller were involved with, the Lego Movie, the first movie being great doesn't mean that the follow up will be a sure success.

They can do moderately well and make all the money *at first*, but them squandering the good will HC and FFH built up and devaluing the brand long term is what's far more likely. THAT is what's stupid about all this. It's a "squandering long term success for short term gain" type situation.

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Reminder that the Deadline article says nothing about either upcoming Tom Holland Spider-Man film not being a part of the MCU.

It just says Feige isn't producing, but they'll still be using the creative framework he set up. To not be a part of the MCU would require eschewing so much about Peter's characterization in this incarnation that they couldn't continue.

The spin-doctoring I've been seeing is maddening and blowing things way out of proportion lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.