• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EchoChamber

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This fucking suck :( I guess in my head canon spiderman was killed by mysterio and that why he doesn't appear anymore.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
IIRC, didn't the leaked Sony emails refer to the production costs as one of the main reasons -- aside from creative direction -- why they wanted Marvel to produce their next few films?

Possibly. But none of that shit is static, especially from that long ago. Sony could be looking at the prospect of fixing their internal production efforts as more appealing financially then turning over 50% of their biggest movie IP.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Say what you will about Sony being stupid to ditch Marvel, but at the end of the day those high priced Sony executives had to justify to their bosses why their highest grossing film was produced by someone outside the company and not them.

Do I think it's a good idea? No, but then again Sony don't want to get into a situation where everything they have bombs and Fiege is making them look bad by making hit films while under the employ of someone else.

Frankly I think Fiege was foolish to make Spider-Man such an integral part of the MCU knowing full well that he didn't have full control of the character and he and Rothman had tangled in the past when they were doing X-Men 3 (????) at Fox.

Also, I toldja.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why on Earth would they include Holland's Spidey now when they have absolutely zero control over what happens in his solo films, or have zero compensation from said films?

The entire point in the first place was coherency.

Do you think Disney didn't profit tremendously from having Spidey in the avengers films? The Iron Spider outfit probably sold tons of toys.

I get what you're saying, as if they don't have a narrative control over the character in his solo films, it'll be hard to easily incorporate him into the Avengers films. Still, Disney is definitely gaining something from it, and it just sucks that he won't be in it.

Deleted member 25448

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
lol I love how people think it's all Sony's fault. It's both theirs and Disney's. Ya'll act like Sony is the villain in this situation. Disney got greedy.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure how Sony are being idiots here.

Sony made Amazing Spider Man 2 which is a shitty movie, and they made 700 mill. That's them alone.

Then FFH made 1 billion which if we assume is the same for the next movie would mean that Disney would get half of that billion which results in Sony getting much less money (unlike Disney who would get much more money when you factor in the merch money) compared to ASM (which is a shitty movie). If anything they are the smart for telling Disney to fuck off.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
So? That's meaningless.

This relationship has been unbalanced since the beginning and Sony isn't a plucky underdog. They've mismanaged this franchise and took what is basically an exaggerated opening negotiation as an excuse to sever all ties rather than negotiate down. But yeah, it all comes down to plucky little Sony, whose ties to this character are more like Harmony Gold's continued stranglehold on Robotech than a small creator vs a larger one, being exploited by mean old Disney. Nevermind that they're both two of the biggest entertainment companies in the world.

They aren't going to keep up the quality of the Marvel Studios movies. An accidental masterpiece like Spiderverse means nothing when the guy that's responsible for sewing Deadpool's mouth shut is in charge of their film division. They may do technically well for a movie or two but this is only going to end in diminishing returns because Sony only understands this character as a marketing arm to franchise.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So let me get this right:

- Sony has a billion dollar franchise

- They make a deal with Disney to include Spider-Man in the MCU for a 5% involvement, a deal which will help both sides.

- Suddenly Disney want's 50%.

"Fuck Sony!!!"
Sony didn't bother to counter-offer when a gigantic part of the success is due to Feige's team's creative involvement and the MCU connection.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Disney had to know Sony would tell them to fuck off with this deal. Like increasing it to 10-15% and not just on first dollar might have been reasonable. Asking for half is just insane and no one in their right mind would even consider that.

They absolutely knew, but you have to take the chance in negotiations in case the party just accepts anyways. 10-25% is likely where Disney was aiming, but you obviously don't start there in negotiations.

The other thing is that Disney likely feels like they have a lot of leverage (and they do) while they feel that Sony has none and are now doing this to put pressure on Sony to cave.

Jun 23, 2019
I despair seeing all these posts from people automatically and immediately blaming Sony because obviously Disney can do no wrong.

Disney isn't your god, people! The least you can do is take a deep breath before you start spewing hot takes online.

Thank you! People are running in here to shit all over Sony Pictures and didn't even read the fucking article stating that Disney is literally the reason why Sony is breaking off the deal. You Marvel stans are something else good grief.

greenbird

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Sony, fuck this company and every shitty person involved in this. I feel like breaking something right now.

y8Ea8jB.gif

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Sony Pictures just signed their death warrant as a studio. They have literally nothing other than Venom and once they take creative control of Spider-Man over again, it is going straight into the sewer. I'm fucking crestfallen.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Right. a 50/50 revenue split (Which is what Disney is asking for with the Co-financing arrangement) makes literally no sense for Sony.
The WORST spider-man film they've made brought in 700 million. It wasn't the revenue that was the problem there, it was the failure to control production costs.

Even in the case where the next spidey film makes a billion, Sony only makes as much as if it made $500m, and they don't have merchandising rights either. It's an insane proposal on their part. Better to rely on what you've learned, use your popular actor and proven director and roll the dice that you can make $800-900m off of it. In a world where AQUAMAN did a billion and Venom made nearly 800m, Sony is in the stronger bargaining position.

Honestly, if the next film is rumored to be Kraven or some other standalone villain, it wouldn't matter if it's connected to the MCU.

Actually, I would prefer if the next villain is a standalone one for a tighter cinematic experience.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
This relationship has been unbalanced since the beginning and Sony isn't a plucky underdog. They've mismanaged this franchise and took what is basically an exaggerated opening negotiation as an excuse to sever all ties rather than negotiate down. But yeah, it all comes down to plucky little Sony, whose ties to this character are more like Harmony Gold's continued stranglehold on Robotech than a small creator vs a larger one, being exploited by mean old Disney. Nevermind that they're both two of the biggest entertainment companies in the world.
It is meaningless to argue that Marvel owns Spider-Man because Stan Lee and Ditko created him. Marvel sold the rights. When something is sold, it doesn't matter what the moral argument is, it was sold. It's meaningless to discuss or even argue that.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
It may very well prove to be if they end up driving the franchise into the ground a third time. Then their getting 100 % of the take will matter a lot less.

Maybe. Or maybe they start making good Spider-Man movies, or middling movies like Venom that make good box office that they don't have to split half of with someone else.

The idea that a company is stupid because they just didn't turn around give half of their business away because that's what MCU fans would want is laughable.

Oct 25, 2017
Disney flew too close to the sun. You can have Spidey or X-Men, not both.

Live action Spiderverse seems like the best way forward. I'm ready for Holland to team up with Maguire, Garfield, and an animated Miles to take on Venom (only for Agent Aunt May to save them in the end).

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
Sony has nothing as good as HC/FFH (aside from Spiderverse but that's different). Everyone is saying "as long as they hire the right people they'll be fine" like they've actually managed to do that in the past.

eh homecoming was mediocre in my view. Far from home is very good tho. Spiderverse is better than anything MCU has put out as far as I'm concerned. TAnd from what I read, most of the previous talent from FFH is still gonna be there for the next movie? So not sure what the concern is about. ime will tell who is right but my money is on the next couple of movies being just fine.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Do you think Disney didn't profit tremendously from having Spidey in the avengers films? The Iron Spider outfit probably sold tons of toys.

I get what you're saying, as if they don't have a narrative control over the character in his solo films, it'll be hard to easily incorporate him into the Avengers films. Still, Disney is definitely gaining something from it, and it just sucks that he won't be in it.

No, he essentially had glorified cameos in two of the three films.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018

- They make a deal with Disney to include Spider-Man in the MCU for a 5% involvement, a deal which will help both sides.

"Fuck Sony!!!"
I don't care. Sony is the one making shitty movies, and they're the only thing standing between Marvel/Disney making good Spider-Man movies, so fuck 'em.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Humans are the only animals that trip over the same stone twice. Or thrice. Or infinite times in Sony's case.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

"Fuck Sony!!!"

You cut off my post. Disingenuous of you.

I was saying that all they had to do was sit back and let Marvel do all the work and make a fortune. For the investment they made to Far From Home, taking in $500M is far better than going it alone. Sure Venom made some money, but not all of that was profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.