• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
From Variety:

Disney hit a major box office milestone, crossing the all-time record for global ticket sales for a single studio. After this weekend, the company has surpassed $7.67 billion worldwide, smashing the benchmark previously set by Disney in 2016 with $7.61 billion.

Also this weekend, Disney became the first studio to hit the $5 billion mark overseas with an estimated $5.09 billion to date.

The studio's achievement is especially significant considering it's only July, and Disney still has "Frozen 2," a "Maleficent" sequel and "Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker" on deck for the remainder of the year.

10 Billion by the end of the year?

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Inappropriate image
Soon:
Mod edit: Image removed

Last edited by a moderator:

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit, and they got Star Wars coming out, too. Although, China doesn't fuck with Star Wars just yet.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Soon:
Mod edit: Image removed

I get that Disney is becoming too big and powerful, but they make fun products for kids and families to enjoy. Comparing them to Nazi imagery is just tone deaf and disrespectful to how awful and deadly the Nazi regime actually was.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a really tone deaf comparison considering that the vast majority of Disney's output has progressive left leaning messaging and a ton of their project leads tout the importance of diversity....
Not defending the image but Disney isn't making diverse films out of the goodness of their hearts and the money they're going to be making off those movies are mostly going into the pockets of white execs and shareholders

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Not defending the image but Disney isn't making diverse films out of the goodness of their hearts and the money they're going to be making off those movies are mostly going into the pockets of white execs and shareholders

Yeah dangling a few feel good progressive movies in our faces while doing other shit in the background.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The good thing is that I'm reaping all the rewards right now and am probably going to be dead by the time Disney enslaves everyone.

InspectaDekka

Banned
Jan 4, 2019
tenor.gif

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Hard to see how Disney's domination can ever be challenged. If someone gets close to challenging they can just buy em up.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
This is a really tone deaf comparison considering that the vast majority of Disney's output has progressive left leaning messaging and a ton of their project leads tout the importance of diversity....
Not that I necessarily agree with the comparison, but Disney's diversity and progressive messaging is extremely shallow at best and actually harmful at worst. The new Beauty and the Beast contained shockingly out-dated views on what feminism is, created a whole slew of issues with how it portrayed the townsfolk and easily has one of the most harmful and vapid portrayals of homosexuality in modern cinema.

Wreck-It Ralph 2 also included some abhorrent and at times straight-up unethical messaging for a kids film.

It's not all bad though, Moana for instance has lovely messaging and the works by the Disney subsidiaries generally do a better job at these angles (Pixar with Toy Story 4 & Coco, Star Wars with TLJ, Marvel with Black Panther), but most of Disney's own productions seem to be the worst kind of "corporate wokeness".

Last edited:

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Actual people work on these things. Disney isn't a literal anthropomorphic monolith.

Eh, this isn't really a good argument. Actual people work at every corporation.

And I'm not really moved by the Woke Brands thing either. Toss them in the bucket with all the brands selling rainbow stuff in June who then ghost after they made a buck.

The Mouse is massive and is out for money. That's why they have no problem asserting their size to squeeze every dime they can from smaller businesses.

OP
OP
BringBackSonics
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I wouldn't say basically nothing. They'll make money on Cruella, Mulan, Jungle Cruise and the animated features.

They just don't have Marvel and Star Wars, which are reloading at the same time.

They have black Widow and the eternals. While I don't think these will be billion dollar movies. I can see them combine for 1.5-1.75 Billion

Oct 31, 2017
Funny thing is entertainment companies like Disney are small beans compared to companies AT&T. Telecoms companies and Financial institutions pose a far larger threat to democracy.

Disney is not really small beans (in terms of market cap) to ATT or other telecom companies. It's only small beans to a few companies like Microsoft, Amazon, Google, Facebook, Apple, etc. It is comparable to telecoms.

T - 249B
VZ - 236B
CMCSA - 203B
DIS - 260B

Enterprise Value
T - 442B
VZ - 371.6B
CMCSA - 313.5B
DIS - 322.7B

It is smaller when it comes yearly revenues and operating income.

Revenue
T - 91.3B
VZ - 130.8B
CMCSA - 94.5B
DIS - 59.4B

Operating Income
T - 31.6B
VZ - 31B
CMCSA - 19B
DIS - 14.8B

AT&T should be expected to grow in all areas if they can seamlessly integrate Time Warner into their operations and if they do well with their streaming service. However, that is true of Disney too with Fox and their streaming service.

Hard to see how Disney's domination can ever be challenged. If someone gets close to challenging they can just buy em up.

For movies? ATT can challenge them if they get Warner Brothers house in order.
For overall entertainment (since I don't think they are interested in theatrical releases)? Amazon, Apple, Google, Netflix could seriously challenge them if they were to buy up SPE, MGM, Lionsgate, CBS.

Last edited:

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Not that I necessarily agree with the comparison, but Disney's diversity and progressive messaging is extremely shallow at best and actually harmful at worst. The new Beauty and the Beast contained shockingly out-dated views on what feminism is, created a whole slew of issues with how it portrayed the townsfolk and easily has one of the most harmful and vapid portrayals of homosexuality in modern cinema.

Wreck-It Ralph 2 also included some abhorrent and at times straight-up unethical messaging for a kids film.

It's not all bad though, Moana for instance has lovely messaging and the works by the Disney subsidiaries generally do a better job at these angles (Pixar with Toy Story 4 & Coco, Star Wars with TLJ, Marvel with Black Panther), but most of Disney's own productions seem to be the worst kind of "corporate wokeness".
Eh, this isn't really a good argument. Actual people work at every corporation.

And I'm not really moved by the Woke Brands thing either. Toss them in the bucket with all the brands selling rainbow stuff in June who then ghost after they made a buck.

The Mouse is massive and is out for money. That's why they have no problem asserting their size to squeeze every dime they can from smaller businesses.
If we start to demonize companies and thus the creatives for even trying because they're big successful companies then we've lost the plot. Acknowledging that a big company is progressive is not saying that they're perfect.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
If we start to demonize companies and thus the creatives for even trying because they're big successful companies then we've lost the plot. Acknowledging that a big company is progressive is not saying that they're perfect.

It's clearly a defensive handwave here though.

If they want to earn some activist support, maybe don't pull the shit they did with Gad's character in BatB, for example. Again, to say nothing of Disney shaking down theaters for everything they can take them for.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be more willing to criticize Disney for their size/output if other studios were putting out better movies.

With the exception of the Disney live-action remakes, they kinda deserve to be on top.

Is comic book stuff literally the only movies you watch?

pestul

Oct 25, 2017
Disney pictures will make less than half the money next year. I'm surprised they didn't spread things out a little..

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It's clearly a defensive handwave here though.
And comparing disney to nazi germany because they're successful is clearly a tone deaf and hyperbolic comparison. Whoever made that art didn't really think it through. Especially in the age where there are literal nazis grifting and radicalizing consumers.