• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
I wonder how the licencing fees work. Like does EA pay a single set fee for Star Wars and keep all game profits, or do they pay a single fee + % of profits?

If it's just a single static fee I could see how Disney wouldn't give a damn about EA's output or quality, they get paid regardless

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People love throwing shade at EA, but it's very much possible that the two games they put out so far are making bank and the stuff they have on development is probably looking good to those privy to it. Alas, why be reasonable?

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
Disney itself admits they don't know about videogames and I bet they are only seeing the profits within EA (don't forget the Star Wars mobile game which I'm pretty sure should be doing great at getting money), so I'm not surprised in the slightest. Still, makes me sad that they just don't care about the cores or values of their franchises just to keep pumping money, but that's capitalism for you.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Marvel Entertainment has more autonomy than LucasArts, especially when it comes to game licenses.

Lucas Arts doesn't exist anymore, but my point is that Disney should use the Spider-Man model for leveraging their IP with games rather than giving a single publishers long term deals.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You just released Kingdom Hearts mutherfucking III to amazing success...

How is this an excuse? OMG!

SE managed your property good and EA did not! it's not hard!

Its "amazing" for a KH game, but far from a outstanding financial success in the gaming business. Its not even a "pling" on Disneys radar. RDR2 or Smash Ultimate like success stories would probably get Disneys attention.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
They gotta start lending their IPs to certain studios like they did with Spider Man.

I would love to see Sony develop anything start wars with any of their internal studios

Heck who wouldn't want a Star Wars game made by Santa Monica or Sucker Punch

DrDarkStryfe

Oct 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
This reads more like Disney does not see a connection between how a game performs to the IP it's based off of, and are fine with cashing licensing checks. That tells me the bigger story is Disney's views on the medium.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
No matter what he says, they had a really great thing going for a moment with Split/Second and Toy Story 3. Those were two of my absolute favorite PS3/Xbox 360 games of the generation, and some of my favorite racing and platforming games ever, respectively.

They failed at marketing those games, though, and made the mistake of converting Avalanche from a fantastic movie-to-game studio with a knack for great platformers and beautiful visuals into a studio pumping out unfocused and restrictive Disney Infinity playsets that paled in comparison to Toy Story 3 in every way.

I wish so badly that Disney Infinity, as well as the unmitigated disaster that was Epic Mickey 2 never happened, and that we instead had more excellent movie games from Avalance, and some more awesome arcade racing with Black Rock Studio, maybe with some injected Disney IPs, Mario Kart style.

Maybe one day they'll try again, because I need some more great Disney platforming games in my life, at least.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I'm totally sure Disney is thrilled that in nearly half a decade, EA has put out two middling Star Wars games... Yep, that's exactly what they wanted all along.

Anyway, you don't burn bridges.
2 AAA games, one three times bigger than the first, (as well as other titles), in five years is in no way shape or form out of the ordinary for an IP. Regardless of the publisher involved in the licensing deal it really wouldn't have been any different as far as the amount of releases go.

People love throwing shade at EA, but it's very much possible that the two games they put out so far are making bank and the stuff they have on development is probably looking good to those privy to it. Alas, why be reasonable?
I don't care that developers have also mentioned that they've had a good working relationship with the SW overseers and that the BF games have made tons of revenue because gamers need to rise up. Disney messed up by not giving it to *insert favorite dev here* so that they could make *insert scattered incoherent ideas that I'd say would've made a good game here*. Literally leaving money on the table.

Last edited:

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
There's no way that EA would've entered into a contract for SW games if Disney could just rip it out from under them.
I think I read somewhere that the current EA head didn't even want to do Starwars game. The previous exec is the one who landed that licensing deal. It's why they're prioritizing their own IP first and Star Wars keep getting screwed.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You know who was good at games?

LucasArts.
They need to look at Lucasarts.

I mean we got so many great games from them, from things like Indiana Jones to Star Wars each of them had some great games, and then you had all the original games that they helped make, like Day of the Tentacle/Full Throttle/Monkey Island/Grim Fandango, etc.

Exactly. They were like peak Nintendo/Blizzard back in their hayday.

Moves

Oct 27, 2017
Disney needs to revisit their Magnum Opus.

oV8eVei.jpg

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone points to Marvel but the only standout game they have had is Spider-man. Telltale GOTG and MvCi were mediocre.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't care that developers have also mentioned that they've had a good working relationship with the SW overseers and that the BF games have made tons of revenue because gamers need to rise up. Disney messed up by not giving it to *insert favorite dev here* so that they could make *insert scattered incoherent ideas that I'd say would've made a good game here*. Literally leaving money on the table.
I'm quite the opposite. I am NOT opposed to EA making Star Wars games. I'm not a fan of ONLY EA making Star Wars games.

There are plenty of other talented developers out there that could be making a wide variety of Star Wars games in a variety of different genres. Turn-based tactics, RPGs, FPS, racing games, etc. The brand is too big and the universe too vast to be constrained to just a couple of Battlefront games and some fast, cheap mobile games.

I want a Battlefront-style game AND I would like to see something like Podracing again, or a classic Lucasarts-style adventure or puzzle game, or a KOTOR-style story-driven party-driven RPG or adventure game, and there are plenty of good developers out there that could've and would've put out more versatile and interesting games if they had access to the IP.

And while I am confident that Battlefront and Galaxy of Heroes have made them money - even with backlash and threats of governmental intervention - we don't know how costly it has been to support and shutter multiple triple-A projects over the past several years, completely sink triple-A studios working on those projects, and restart over with new teams and studios, new engines, new game structure, etc. Games aren't made in a vacuum, and publishers often use the success of some titles to offset the sunk costs and write-offs of other studios and projects.

EA was always going to make money on Star Wars. Battlefront could've been Aliens: Colonial Marines-tier and still make money (actually, I think even Colonial Marines recouped its budget, because brand name buys are just that potent).

From the consumer-end, it was a net-loss, and we'll never know how many other studios or projects could've been started, developed, and released to the public during the big second-wind of Star Wars post-Force Awakens who only had a few couple of options available to them for a Star Wars gaming fix.

machinaea

Game Producer
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I wonder how the licencing fees work. Like does EA pay a single set fee for Star Wars and keep all game profits, or do they pay a single fee + % of profits?

If it's just a single static fee I could see how Disney wouldn't give a damn about EA's output or quality, they get paid regardless
Out of these, I would say the single fee for exclusivity and % of revenue (net) is the more likely option and more common in these kinds of scenarios. That also puts a bit more risk on EA's side when it comes to marketing, which could be a partial additional factor as to why they are reluctant to ship games that don't feel like they are on track to be major success.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
Disney take the power away from EA and give it to Everyone to develop different types of games

88-C1-D930-46-BE-43-B0-AED2-B4-CA1-DDE7259.gif

Capcom - Star Wars Platfomer
Sega - Star Wars Puzzle games
Insomniac Ganes - 3rd person action adventure game
Bandai Namco - Fighter/ Battle game

And so on

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
I can only imagine them being happy with EA Mobile SW games profits from lootboxes. I wonder are these amounts disclosed somewhere that EA earns from those games

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I love how this game exists just to invent a new character for Donald thats never referenced again. And yet its so good.
Lol yes, a Hawaiian shirt clad Donald duck becomes a ninja from duck spirits. Everything about it is perfect.

That one was fantastic! Best idle animations in the business!

They should go back to Capcom for Disney properties - Goof Troop is still the best licensed Disney game around.
Yes indeed, has good shooting and melee combat as well. Those late 80's early 90's Disney games will never be matched.

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The problem was never a lack of exclusivity deals It was the lack of quality control from all parties involved.

Seeking out / accepting pitches from vdevs who are known for their work, and empowering them to put in their best effort seems like the obvious path forward for the licensing model.

The quality control is one reason that, outside of EA and the hardware companies, I don't see anyone else willing to play ball at this point. Maybe 6 years back at the time of the deal, but I'm looking at how things are currently. Sony+Insomniac+Spider-Man was a dream team combination, and there aren't a lot of potential formulas like that.

Don't get me wrong, I'd certainly be behind seeing more high quality efforts from established teams, it's just that most publishers stand to benefit far more by growing their own IPs. Especially without the shadow of another mega corporation known for meddling if things don't support their image/print money.

If we actually see something soon from the Avengers game and it looks like it was worth it then perhaps I'll have more confidence in the concept, but so far all Square Enix has done is lie to us about the reveal year lol