• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Disney World's Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge park appears to be testing out X-Wing drones the size of SUVs for undisclosed purposes, according to a report from Disney park fan site BlogMickey.com, via io9 and TheForce.net. Even better, they've got photos.

BlogMickey reports that they received several photos showing an SUV-sized X-Wing drone stationed in a cast parking lot outside Disney's Hollywood Studios, along with a cordoned-off tent guarded by security. Here's a picture of one of the in-progress drones obtained by BlogMickey:
x-wing-drone-testing-star-wars-galaxys-edge-100-720x479.jpg

BlogMickey cautions readers to set expectations low, saying they don't believe either of the two X-Wing drones currently being tested will be seen by the public. BlogMickey's sources told the site that the drones will be used for the upcoming Rise of the Resistance media preview event.

Presumably these are being launched to stop Spaceship Earth at Epcot before it can fire

spaceship_earth_6763670_ver1.0_1280_720.jpg

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's currently the biggest drone on record? I didn't think they really ever got that big.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I seem to recall Disney once building a full sized dragon and a full sized Dumbo drone and using them (ONLY) for one time media promotion events.

The concepts are so cool but show how damn wasteful Disney can be when it wants to be.

Edit 1:

Uhp, yep, here we go, for the dragon.

Imagine building that and only using it once. Unless it takes a lot of unrenewable energy to use, that just seems stupid to use once and never again. If it does take unrenewables, though, why build it anyway if you're ostensibly as "eco-friendly" as Disney claims to be? (Other than $$$$$$$$$ of course).

Edit 2: And Dumbo:

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
I don't know how they built a "functioning" space port in Star Wars land and included literally zero kinetics. The land needs something like this; it's a shame if this is just a one-off for a media event

I wonder if a projection screen, ala the Splatoon concerns, could have worked (perhaps at night?) Give the illusion of some spaceport activity happening

OP
OP
Z-Beat

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I seem to recall Disney once building a full sized dragon and a full sized Dumbo drone and using them (ONLY) for one time media promotion events.

The concepts are so cool but show how damn wasteful Disney can be when it wants to be.

Edit 1:

Imagine building that and only using it once. Unless it takes a lot of unrenewable energy to use, that just seems stupid to use once and never again. If it does take unrenewables, though, why build it anyway if you're ostensibly as "eco-friendly" as Disney claims to be? (Other than $$$$$$$$$ of course).

Wouldn't they have to get airspace clearance to fly that every time they wanted to? Tinkerbell was a zipline but this was actual flight

I don't know how they built a "functioning" space port in Star Wars land and include literally zero kinetics. The land needs something like this; it's a shame if this is just a one-off for a media event
yeah, they have plenty of full scale speeders, x-wings, an a-wing, etc. but none of them do much but make ignitions sounds every so often.

Lack of actual goings on has been the biggest complaint for Galaxy's Edge. There are characters walking around, sure, and it's beautiful to look at, but it feels strangely empty outside of the market.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Looks pretty cool, hopefully it gets used for more than a one off event. It would be pretty neat if they brought it back for May 4th or something every year

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Wouldn't they have to get airspace clearance to fly that every time they wanted to? Tinkerbell was a zipline but this was actual flight
Huh, would they? I guess drones are technically aircraft. On the other hand, given the frightening amount of control Disney holds over the county Walt Disney World is located in (they basically ARE the government), would it be that hard for them to enact a different law for drones? I know they're going to use drones, supposedly, in that upcoming Epcot show that's replacing IllumiNations, for instance. Wouldn't mind if it's a case of local ordinances actually managing to stop Disney from doing something for once, though.

OP
OP
Z-Beat

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Huh, would they? I guess drones are technically aircraft. On the other hand, given the frightening amount of control Disney holds over the county Walt Disney World is located in (they basically ARE the government), would it be that hard for them to enact a different law for drones? I know they're going to use drones, supposedly, in that upcoming Epcot show that's replacing IllumiNations, for instance. Wouldn't mind if it's a case of local ordinances actually managing to stop Disney from doing something for once, though.
Maybe. At the same time Orlando has a crap-ton of air traffic, most of it due to WDW itself

And I know Anaheim has a weird, bitter relationship with Disneyland and its need to expand

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man I just realized how awesome a computer-synchronized X-Wing vs TIE Fighter drone battle would be

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I saw someone mention they already did something similar for the Disneyland opening for Galaxy's Edge and they'll probably only use these droids for the Rise of the Resistance opening.

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

Edit 1:

Holy crap. I had completely forgot about the dragon though in hindsight, what did a dragon have to do with beauty and the beast? Lol

Oct 26, 2017
That dragon looks like it might be built onto a microlight, you can see the 3 wheels, it's a lot more advanced than just a drone inflatable or frame, you'd have room for a puppeteer on board too.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some of the military drones are pretty huge, just goggle "largest military drones" and you'll get an idea. They have to carry bombs and shit
Not sure how accurate it is, but here's a chart I found:
Oh yeah, I guess the military-grade stuff can get pretty big.

I was thinking more about what the largest civilian/commercial grade quadcopter drone would be. From the photo I can even tell if the X-Wing is a quadcopter though.

OP
OP
Z-Beat

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That dragon looks like it might be built onto a microlight, you can see the 3 wheels, it's a lot more advanced than just a drone inflatable or frame.
I think this was a daylight shot
dragon1.jpg

Yeah I know, probably less expensive than their fireworks show over the long-term though, depending on how long the drones last
Maybe. Fireworks and projectors cost a hell of a lot less to maintain than those drones do, though

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
I don't know how they built a "functioning" space port in Star Wars land and included literally zero kinetics. The land needs something like this; it's a shame if this is just a one-off for a media event

I wonder if a projection screen, ala the Splatoon concerns, could have worked (perhaps at night?) Give the illusion of some spaceport activity happening

The land is a mixed bag.

I saw someone mention they already did something similar for the Disneyland opening for Galaxy's Edge and they'll probably only use these droids for the Rise of the Resistance opening.

They didn't do this for the opening in Disneyland, out there they had stunt shows and such.

Holy crap. I had completely forgot about the dragon though in hindsight, what did a dragon have to do with beauty and the beast? Lol

My understanding is WDI was trying to develop it for nighttime shows/Pandora and it wasn't practical. So to recoup some costs they had entertainment pay for it to fly one night.

OP
OP
Z-Beat

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Man, a Toy Story Mania-style Splatoon ride would work so well

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
And you compete with another car to see who covered the most like Men In Black at Universal Orlando and the cat's at the end! The ride designs itself!

Ooh, if they combined physical sets (ala MiB/Buzz Lightyear) with laser projection to actually "ink" the environment...that could be something amazing.

EDIT: (Or maybe if could be done with AR goggles? That way you could actually see the ink shoot out too)