• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Everything is going according to plan for the House of Mouse. Disney began the decade with two key purchases: Marvel Entertainment in 2009 and Lucasfilm in 2012. The combined more than $8 billion investment has exceedingly paid off for Disney; Marvel Studios has made more than $28 billion at the box office alone, while Star Wars is the centerpiece of Disney's future, Disney+. The goal was to build out franchises Disney could consistently use and build worlds around.

The strategy paid off. Each year of the last 10 years is punctuated by Disney's dominance. 2018's box office saw the successes of Avengers: Infinity War, Black Panther, and Incredibles 2 — all from studios Disney acquired between 2006 and 2012. The Last Jedi and Beauty and the Beast topped 2017. Rogue One, Finding Dory, and Captain America: Civil War were 2016's biggest releases.

The only years Disney didn't completely dominate the top 10 domestic box office releases were between 2011 and 2013, just before any new Star Wars films came out, right as the Marvel Cinematic Universe was finding its pace, and before Disney's live-action renaissance really took off. There's something fitting, albeit sad and worrisome, about Disney ending its decade of rising into a singular Hollywood powerhouse by sitting upon the box office throne.

Source

Remember when ya'all were legit cheering for them buying FOX? Disney is so big it verges on being a monopoly, and having one company be the gatekeeper of our media across the board is terrifying shit. This is just the beginning.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I think the more shocking story is outside of Joker, none of these studios produced movies that made over 300 million domestically.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
The other studios need to step up and make decent movies people actually want to watch.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah...that sounds about right. A lot of their movies weren't great either. That being said, what's preventing other studios from making stuff people want to go see? Ultimately movies aren't a necessity so it's not really comparable to say a telecommunications owning all of the phone towers or internet infrastructure.

Oct 27, 2017
No surprise here. There's a reason they purchased these assets. They're film division prior was pedestrian and anything coming from them in-house was hit or miss. It almost feels like forever ago when Disney would barely crack the top 5 in studio earnings.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Was arguing in the other thread about a lot of users on this forum cheering on disney to absorb sony since "sony pictures sucks and they waste the IP anyways". Also people cheering on Bob Iger's desire to acquire bond beccause disney would "treat it right". Their PR is fucking god tier, it's developed a truly cult like following that just continues to cheer on the companies growth for some strange reason. Brand loyalty is a hell of a drug.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
they wont have 80% next year and will most lilkly not be the top grossing studio

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
81btrHKgO0L._AC_SY355_.jpg

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I wish Disney went back to just being hand drawn cartoons and kids shit.

I hate new Disney

(But.....then I wouldn't be able to watch all that old Disney stuff on Disney + without all this happening so there is that)

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder who they'll acquire next.

Videogames are one of the most lucrative markets but I can't see them making their own console.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On the one hand the Disney monopoly sucks, on the other hand it's a natural monopoly in many ways. They got this dominant by being the only movie company in the last decade consistently making good blockbuster movies several times a year. It's not like they are churning out garbage.