• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Whoops, looks like my memory is wildly off.

www.nytimes.com

Disney Profit Jumps 50%, and Streaming Subscriptions Surpass Netflix

The company unveiled details of an ad-supported Disney+ as demand at its theme parks rebounded.

It's around 1b, but it's going to dramatically increase as they spend more and more on content.

Not surprised theme park profits are off the charts. They are fucking over customers so hard at the parks now. Prices have surged and they've monetized nearly every aspect of the park experience.

Sain

Nov 13, 2017
I swear these reactions are like clockwork every time a streaming service raises their price. Anybody who thought this wasn't coming was fooling themselves.

I mean, yeah, it was inevitable, but with so many streaming services/subscriptions, I feel like people have been more sensitive to price increases due to the number a lot of us are trying to juggle.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, yeah, it was inevitable, but with so many streaming services/subscriptions, I feel like people have been more sensitive to price increases due to the number a lot of us are trying to juggle.
This.
I've got 4 already and moments like bring a bit of a re-evaluation, particularly when money in general is getting tighter right now.

As price isn't going up with ads I'll need to see how that is implemented (and what it looks like in UK specifically, let's face it this won't be a US only thing)

Oct 25, 2017
Disney+ has only been getting more and more non "Disney" content in Canada in the past year, so it's my safest sub I have, even with a price increase.

Thankfully I'm still able to borrow my parents' Netflix & Crave, because Netflix goes through such intense dry-spells, whereas Crave has actually been quite decent [we get all the Showtime and HBO / HBO Max stuff through Crave up here].

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017

I also feel like peoples demand/desires for content keeps rising though which is just incompatible with reality here. See the discussion in the thread about whether their content is 'mid' or not. They are losing a billion a year at current costs, need to scale up content creation even further than it is to impress these same people who feels its mediocre, all while supposedly not raising the cost?

Nah, that's not going to work. If we have to play roulette with streaming services to make it work, then I guess that will be the new normal; but I can't look at these companies all bleeding money like this, alongside the expectations from the market and expect anything other than what we are seeing.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if this is still worth it just for the convenience of on demand Simpsons seasons 2-9.

bshark

Banned
Jun 25, 2018
The catalog is just garbage, the value is pitiful.

Not sure who's supporting this gouging? Why?

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
If I already have a Disney+ account, and I already have a Hulu account, is there a way to merge them without losing stuff like my watchlist, history, and profiles? I'm willing to pay for the bundle even if I will never touch ESPN+ but it would be too much of a pain if I have to essentially start fresh on one account or the other at this point.
If you have Hulu, I think you could.

Not surprised theme park profits are off the charts. They are fucking over customers so hard at the parks now. Prices have surged and they've monetized nearly every aspect of the park experience.
Chapek era in a nut shell.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
They better start putting out some content that isn't just marvel and star wars.

Disney is already shit to me after their handling of Owl House.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's by far the best service and still worth it especially compared to the rest of the services at this price.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017

Frodo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing surprising here.

Myself, Ive only got my Prime subscription left, and that is if they don't raise the price again...

I'm not gonna subscribe to multiple services charging ÂŁ15 a month each. And charging for a subscription with ads is worse than TV. Ridiculous state of events we're here, folks. Fuck this shit. Fuck them companies.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
4 ads an hour so I guess you can be free for awhile until the next hour.
I am not paying for a service to get more ads than on tv.
Fuck everything about that.
What's next? If you don't pay extra you only get to see programs at a set time like they're airing on tv circa 95?

aarstar

Oct 29, 2017
I've been meaning to cancel Hulu, find it pretty worthless. I'll probably keep Disney plus though.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who'd have thought a constant barrage of expensive cgi driven shows would necessitate a price increase? I'll complain about marvel fucking over CGI artists but prices must stay low forever! And don't cancel shows! And I want day and date theatrical releases! And the entire back catalog now!

/s

The value of these services is insane. You can turn them off and on at will and pretty much all are less than a single movie ticket/Blu-ray

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
A $3 price hike is kind of a lot. I figured that it would inevitably happen, but more gradually than that.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
What would ads look like? Around 3 minutes before watching an episode or a movie or will they put them randomly into shows and break up movies?

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I only ever sub to Disney + for a month or two around the Holidays. Wonder if this will be a gradual push to $15 as well over the next couple years?

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Lol at the multiple people posting in this thread who said I was crazy when I said Disney would double their price over the next few years, heading for a $30pm price target (Netflix is aiming for similar).

I note that those people also doubted me that Disney will restrict 4k to the upper tiers and do Netflix style account sharing blocking within the next few years too. They will.

XSX

Oct 31, 2017
I leech off someone who prob won't bother paying the higher price for ad free.

Oh well. I'll find another way to watch what I need.

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Cancelling Hulu for sure. D+ original content has been pretty mediocre lately. Not worth renewing

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I'll say the same thing I said about the Netflix thing with the sharing "fee": if people drop it because it's no longer worth the subsidized price, good for both parties: it's not a commodity that everyone needs, it's a streaming service and they need to figure out where the sweet spot is. If people drop, they either need to reconsider the price or add a ton of value to incentivize people to return. It's not gouging.

Of course I only say that because they just dropped Bluey season 3. ;)

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Lol at the multiple people posting in this thread who said I was crazy when I said Disney would double their price over the next few years, heading for a $30pm price target (Netflix is aiming for similar).

I note that those people also doubted me that Disney will restrict 4k to the upper tiers and do Netflix style account sharing blocking within the next few years too. They will.
$30 a month?

Lmao this thread is something.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
In two years Disney+ Basic will be $10 a month, Premium will be $15 a month, and both tiers will be blocked from accessing the Classics catalog and will have a 3 month wait for new movies instead of 45 days. If you want the all content and movies after the 45 day theatrical run, you'll have to upgrade to Disney+ Ultimate for $17.99 a month.

Deleted member 5876

Big Seller
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Willing to stick around because I've gotten more value out of D+ the short time its been around then Netflix in the last 5 years.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
why would anyone pay 8$ for ads? lol

I don't mind paying less and having ads to save money but a lot of that might depend on what's up with the ads. Ads all before something starts who cares. I'll just surf era for a few more minutes. Lots of ad interrupts throughout the show? Nah I'll pay to not do that. If every service let you front load them I'd always pick with ads to save money.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
In two years Disney+ Basic will be $10 a month, Premium will be $15 a month, and both tiers will be blocked from accessing the Classics catalog and will have a 3 month wait for new movies instead of 45 days. If you want the all content and movies after the 45 day theatrical run, you'll have to upgrade to Disney+ Ultimate for $17.99 a month.
Zaslav, is that you?

Yeona

Banned
Jan 19, 2021
Lol there it is.

And the price increases will only go up.

I mean yeah! lol That's what subscription services are designed to do. They provide an appealing, low(er)-cost entrypoint to something you were already easily doing before, they become a habitual service customers can't or won't easily replace, and then they can literally do whatever they want with the price. It's especially powerful in countries where a lot of public and private servers are subscription-based. People just add all of it to the ledger and pay it all together. No shortage of people who don't even use nor sometimes even remember all the services they're paying for.

I mean look at how many people are saying, "I'm OK with the price hike, because I'm giving the service a lot of use", especially on Twitter, when in reality nothing about their interaction with the service will change besides the fact that they'll pay more. People will actively convince themselves of whatever they have to, to continue doing what they've already been doing. Netflix may be losing users now but they've already made unspeakable amounts of money. It's how these systems work.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I mean yeah! lol That's what subscription services are designed to do. They provide an appealing, low(er)-cost entrypoint to something you were already easily doing before, they become a habitual service customers can't or won't easily replace, and then they can literally do whatever they want with the price. It's especially powerful in countries where a lot of public and private servers are subscription-based. People just add all of it to the ledger and pay it all together. No shortage of people who don't even use nor sometimes even remember all the services they're paying for.

I mean look at how many people are saying, "I'm OK with the price hike, because I'm giving the service a lot of use", especially on Twitter, when in reality nothing about their interaction with the service will change besides the fact that they'll pay more. People will actively convince themselves of whatever they have to, to continue doing what they've already been doing. Netflix may be losing users now but they've already made unspeakable amounts of money. It's how these systems work.

How profitable do you think Netflix and the streaming arm of Disney are?