• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gumbie

Oct 28, 2017
The skepticism around using a console app is interesting, I didn't even know this was a thing.
- use console with headphones to controller
- console has ethernet, tv doesn't
- console wifi performance better than tv
- tv doesn't have built in app for every service

Wait there's smart TV's that don't have Ethernet ports?

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Why is anyone with a 4k hdr TV even using a console for the apps. TV smart apps are so much damn better.

Good to know that Smart TV apps have gotten better. I ended up buying an Apple TV years ago because of how shit the apps in my Samsung TV were.

The Apps in my parents' TV have been depreciated altogether, which is a bummer. Only thing that still works is Netflix. Hulu, Youtube, and a handful of others don't boot any more.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
Good to know that Smart TV apps have gotten better. I ended up buying an Apple TV years ago because of how shit the apps in my Samsung TV were.

The Apps in my parents' TV have been depreciated altogether, which is a bummer. Only thing that still works is Netflix. Hulu, Youtube, and a handful of others don't boot any more.
Can't speak about Samsung apps fell out of favour of Samsung TVs years ago . Lg's apps are pretty top notch now.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Can't speak about Samsung apps fell out of favour of Samsung TVs years ago . Lg's apps are pretty top notch now.

Cool. I'm looking at a TCL for my next TV but I'll likely be sticking with my Apple TV for streaming since I already have it.

I remember the Hulu app being rough on our Samsung TV before we switched. It would often lock up while trying to load ads and we would have to reboot the whole TV.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
The latest Sony TVs apps are way better than console apps, and blow away Apple TV, which for some reason is still using outdated YouTube and Netflix apps,

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
media apps on consoles are so bad. I ended up getting an ATV 4K years ago and it's been the best purchase ever. so snappy, supported by literally everything and a great UI.

Only thing worse than console apps is Roku. Using the Roku interface on my bedroom TV is a nightmare, it's so bad and stuck in the early 2010s

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Since I'm a cord cutter, I don't use anything on my TV except for my main console. I don't think I've even seen the apps on my TV.

Deleted member 30987

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Yes indeed. The apps for Youtube, Disney+, Prime and Netflix are perfect on my C9. Dolby Vision, 4K, everything's there.
The console apps are horseshit, at the least the last gen versions were and as example, Netflix always ran in fake HDR, the whole app, which made SDR stuff look weird. Once I've got my C9, console media apps were dead to me.
Not if Your tv is few years old. I started PS4 generation with top line Bravia. 5 years later youtube barely functioned - app was updated , ram and cpu in tv too weak .
Right now its the same with my C9, for now the apps are better but I am not expecting it to last

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Huh, today I learned that most TV apps are better than console apps. Never would have guessed.

Although I wonder if that's the same for my TV, since it's more on the budget side (Hisense). Will have to try it out later.
I made this mistake too.

Was watching Netflix through my cable box... then learned that the TV app supports Dolby Vision while the box doesn't.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
I just ended up buying one of the new Chromecasts for all my media apps since my Panasonic TV doesn't have a Disney+ app. Plus I can use my Bluetooth headphones with it.

This is just using reddit as the source, which I think is wrong unfortunately.
I just turned on my PS5, the app updated and it mentions 4K under the automatic option in the settings now.

Why is anyone with a 4k hdr TV even using a console for the apps. TV smart apps are so much damn better.
Console apps are much more likely to get long-term support and updates.

Conan

Oct 25, 2017
I know it now says 4k in the setting, that's why I revived the thread, but each individual piece of content still says it is hd, and it certainly looks that way to my eye.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
media apps on consoles are so bad. I ended up getting an ATV 4K years ago and it's been the best purchase ever. so snappy, supported by literally everything and a great UI.

Only thing worse than console apps is Roku. Using the Roku interface on my bedroom TV is a nightmare, it's so bad and stuck in the early 2010s
Meh. ATV 4k is nearly 200 bucks and it has a version of Netflix that can't even play all of Netflix's content. It's a ripoff. The 50 dollar Chromecast with Google TV is such a better value, and it actually has the latest version of apps.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Meh. ATV 4k is nearly 200 bucks and it has a version of Netflix that can't even play all of Netflix's content. It's a ripoff. The 50 dollar Chromecast with Google TV is such a better value, and it actually has the latest version of apps.
nah. I had a google tv when it launched. it's slow, and at the time didn't have everything (it just now got apple tv+)

the netflix thing isn't really a problem since those interactive shows are pretty bad, but it's the one "negative" about the device. everything else is incredible.

also, I got it in 2018. $200 for the utility i've gotten out of this thing is insane. it has not gotten slower since I first got it, despite three major OS updates and the ridiculous number of apps installed on it. it's worth it's asking price

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
nah. I had a google tv when it launched. it's slow, and at the time didn't have everything (it just now got apple tv+)

the netflix thing isn't really a problem since those interactive shows are pretty bad, but it's the one "negative" about the device. everything else is incredible.
Old version of YouTube sucks as well. Sorry, it's impossible to justify the cost of that thing now when it continues to have bad versions of apps, and one of the absolute worst remotes on the planet. There's just too much better competition now that is also a fraction of the cost. I don't mind paying the Apple tax when the hardware is just beyond the competition, but in this case, they're so far behind. ATV is in desperate need of an upgrade in quality, and a downgrade in price.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017

also, I got it in 2018. $200 for the utility i've gotten out of this thing is insane. it has not gotten slower since I first got it, despite three major OS updates and the ridiculous number of apps installed on it. it's worth it's asking price
The new Chromecast that came out towards the end of last year is currently a much better buy than an Apple TV, and this is coming from someone fully into the Apple ecosystem.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Old version of YouTube sucks as well. Sorry, it's impossible to justify the cost of that thing now when it continues to have bad versions of apps, and one of the absolute worst remotes on the planet. There's just too much better competition now that is also a fraction of the cost. I don't mind paying the Apple tax when the hardware is just beyond the competition, but in this case, they're so far behind. ATV is in desperate need of an upgrade in quality, and a downgrade in price.
the youtube app on the apple tv is the exact same as the one on my roku and google tv (when I had one). the YouTube interface sucks on literally every big screen device. it's not a real argument against it.

what other apps are worse on it? because Roku consistently has the worst versions of apps in my experience. every cable network app is complete garbage, and the UI when in a show varies SO much that it's impossible to know what how it behaves. There's more consistency on the Apple TV than any other device out there.

Competition has gotten better, but it still doesn't hold a candle to it. especially when you consider the overall experience and don't cherry pick certain outlier examples.

we won't agree and that's fine. but to act like $200 is an insane asking price for a device that is very powerful, fast, still gets support and updates regularly, and does more than let you watch TV is weird. saying the $50 Google Home with its weird interface, inconsistent apps, and overall slow experience is a better device isn't true lol

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
The new Chromecast that came out towards the end of last year is currently a much better buy than an Apple TV, and this is coming from someone fully into the Apple ecosystem.
much like I said to LoudWrong, I bought one the literal day they launched, and returned it a week later. it's a shitty device. sure it's $50, but after using an apple tv you know why it's $50. if you don't want an apple tv, the only other real competitor is the nvidia shield, its just as snappy

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
much like I said to LoudWrong, I bought one the literal day they launched, and returned it a week later. it's a shitty device. sure it's $50, but after using an apple tv you know why it's $50. if you don't want an apple tv, the only other real competitor is the nvidia shield, its just as snappy
Mine's has been great so far, sucks you must have had a faulty one for it to be that shitty. Zero chance I was ever buying an Apple TV over it for £150 more.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
I hate the Apple TV remote though it has no buttons except menu and it's so hard to navigate by just touching it as you make mistakes

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Mine's has been great so far, sucks you must have had a faulty one for it to be that shitty. Zero chance I was ever buying an Apple TV over it for £150 more.
I hope I did and I'm wrong about it not being a great device, but I don't know why factory resetting a device like that wouldn't fix whatever sluggish performance issues I was having.

we clearly don't agree on the value of different things, because cost ≠ value and that's evident by my Google TV and Roku experience. I'd rather pay $180 for a device that always works and is fast and consistent than $50 for one that gets the job done but is a pain in the ass to use

I hate the Apple TV remote though it has no buttons except menu and it's so hard to navigate by just touching it as you make mistakes
it's the biggest physical problem with the thing. the remote is great for scrubbing a timeline or gestures, but HORRIBLE otherwise. the only reason I don't have issues anymore is because I got tired of juggling both the TV remote and Apple TV remote, so I gave up and bought a sideclick to have everything in one.

Before that I used a Logitech Harmony which was fine, but I admittedly missed the trackpad because it makes navigation so smooth

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
the youtube app on the apple tv is the exact same as the one on my roku and google tv (when I had one). the YouTube interface sucks on literally every big screen device. it's not a real argument against it.
That is decidedly false. Search on the appletv youtube app doesn't even auto fill or show past searches. It's absolute trash. There's so much dated design in the Appletv that makes it laughable at its current price. I'm deep in the Apple ecosystem, but not deep enough to not see how bad their box is compared to much cheaper competition.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Are you replying just to reply and not bother reading? I never said every TV has the app. My point my was that my daughter's 3 year old TV didn't have it either but it was downloaded and install on an update.
I'm not sure what that's got to do with not every TV having the app? My brand new Panasonic TV doesn't have the app, none of the Panasonic TVs do as far as I'm aware.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Your reading comprehension skills are lacking. Please read my previous post and the post I was quoting again.
Already did, not sure why you're being so weirdly defensive over people pointing out the fact that the app still isn't available on every TV.

Anyway, like I said previously I've got a Chromecast now so don't need to to bother with the PS5 app any more.

Oct 29, 2017
Same for Apple TV AFAIK. The UI and everything is 1080p. Such a shame.

I most certainly did not expect anything to be sub 4K in on the Media Tab. Quite funny that the apps on Series X are all 4K and the UI is a complete mess with 1080p raster assets that are being transformed and showing pixels all the time.

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Already did, not sure why you're being so weirdly defensive over people pointing out the fact that the app still isn't available on every TV.

Anyway, like I said previously I've got a Chromecast now so don't need to to bother with the PS5 app any more.

My dude, you quoted a reply that was posted over 3 months ago, which has been settled already and then accuse me of being weirdly defensive. Ok

VoltySquirrel

Oct 25, 2017
I'll say this: one of the benefits of using an Apple TV for YouTube is that because Google clearly only supports the platform because it kind of has to, it always gets updates last. So, it still uses the old interface where the side panel has 4 superfluous tabs you have scroll past just to get from the the home feed to your subscriptions feed.

CaVaYeRo

Oct 31, 2017
Wait there's smart TV's that don't have Ethernet ports?

There are, but the problem remains with those that have as it's usually limited to 100 Mbps and doesn't offer gigabit connection, which is crazy in 2021, and it happens with higher-end models too.

And unless something has changed as of today, the previously-linked confirmation about PlayStation app update is wrong, as Disney confirmed to us 4K wasn't available yet and that they would let us know when...

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Android TV App is still busted too. I guess they are related in some way and hope they fix both at the same time. I'm still using the xbox app meanwhile.

Sho Nuff

Jan 6, 2019
Kyoto, JP
In Japan, Disney+ literally has NO 4K or HDR or 5.1 support, and the apps are incompatible with the rest of the world's. Not bothering with that shit.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm legit surprised my kinda old 2016 samsung updated today with the Disney+ app as the service launched. Great stuff.