• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jafin

May 26, 2018
Ireland
Disney+ is a bit of a mess in terms of format support across platforms. Android can't play back HDR on it anymore for some reason. Atmos randomly doesn't work for some people. PC doesn't have an app and the website limits you to 720p on most browsers.

Wait, 720p on most browsers? Does it go to 1080p on some browsers? This is the reason I don't use Disney+ on my laptop, which is my preferred method of watching stuff. I've searched around multiple times and can't find any way to get 1080p on it. I did read some people saying 1080p works on Edge, but it doesn't seem to work for me, possibly because Edge is now Chromium based. I even tried Internet Explorer as a last resort and it didn't work there either.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda how I had to contact google to fix the vudu app on chromecast because it didn't support uhd. Here's hoping Sony or Disney fix Disney app

OP
OP
Yankee Ruin X

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
Ok thanks for the answers so seems the PS5 Disney Plus app doesn't support 4k for whatever reason, will just stick to the XSX version which does support 4k HDR.

A lot of people asking why I am using console apps and not built in apps.

1 - My display device is a 4k projector with a 120" screen, not a smart Tv/device it's only purpose is too produce a huge 4k image.

2 - I already got the media remote for PS5 and it has dedicated buttons to open apps I use Netflix/YouTube/Disney Plus etc so it's handy.

3 - My devices go through my AV receiver for sound and my cable connecting to the projector is a one way fibre optic HDMI due to the length it needs to be to pass 4k/60 hdr to the projector.

Last edited:

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
You expecting a console with only 10tflops to be able to run it at 4K? You need at least 12.

NavNucST3

Nov 13, 2017
Repeating myself from every other, what I consider ignorant "why would anyone use..." posts. I have 2 LG OLEDs a B7 and CX and even THOSE don't support the exact same apps...and yet another set of apps on my x900e. When the Disney+ first hit LG it didn't even support Atmos. Using vudu from built-in Sony app is miserable in terms of both layout and speed (at least my LGs have the same layout as the Xbox). I get a consistent and fast experience from the Xbox apps, I can actually navigate faster with a controller than with my magic remote but all things being equal I don't have a problem with the LG apps or magic remote. I literally hate the Sony remote with the x900e and the apps on that tv are horribly slow and lagging.

Avenger

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 31, 2019
My web os netflix looks signfantly better than ps5 netflix. I'm surprised.

I may get 5.1 surround sound in future though. How would that work with reciever,?

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For anyone who is still asking:

I avoid TV apps because my 4k set has motion smoothing that can't be turned off, but it gets suspended or something when I run PS5 streaming apps.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
I'm going to guess from
Some of the replies here that LG & Samsung don't use Android TV or have a storefront you download apps from?

Because your smart TV isn't locked to the ore-installed apps. At least my last LG & current Bravia aren't.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
My web os netflix looks signfantly better than ps5 netflix. I'm surprised.

I may get 5.1 surround sound in future though. How would that work with reciever,?

Sound would be sent to the receiver from the TV via arc. I use Netflix, YouTube TV and Disney Plus this way on my C8, works great.

Deleted member 16753

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why is anyone with a 4k hdr TV even using a console for the apps. TV smart apps are so much damn better.

Along with the other arguments already posted, TV manufacturers don't support the apps for very long so they end up missing new features, having bugs, or having security flaws.

That last point is a really big deal, and it's why I don't use any smart features on TVs.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even know this, I mostly use my Series X for streaming now anyway. I just use the PS5 if I'm lazy though.

Can anyone confirm for Netflix?

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
I use the PS5 for this stuff because half the time Netflix seems to bug out with my wifi and I watch movie late at night and need headphones. Hopefully the apps get updated but at least they look pretty good!

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Disney+ on PS5 is using the PS4 version of the app. Having said that, I'm surprised it's not 4k/HDR on PS4 Pro.

For me, I use the Amazon FireTV 4k Stick, nice and small and it gets me all the services I want with a good interface, and a simplified remote with voice support.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
Why is anyone with a 4k hdr TV even using a console for the apps. TV smart apps are so much damn better.

I have a CX Oled, my experience is that the apps on consoles are better. I use the PS5 apps more than the Series X mainly because late at night I use the Pulse headset so I don't wake up my wife and kids.

MiDoZ

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thats really strange.
I have a CX Oled, my experience is that the apps on consoles are better. I use the PS5 apps more than the Series X mainly because late at night I use the Pulse headset so I don't wake up my wife and kids.
Does the headphone use Bluetooth? You might be able to connect it to the tv.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
Thats really strange.

Does the headphone use Bluetooth? You might be able to connect it to the tv.
It uses a dongle.

I've never used the PS4 apps, I used an old nVidia Shield.

But on PS5 and Series X at least Netflix and Amazon Prime work as good as the CX apps.

CaVaYeRo

Oct 31, 2017
For my setup, my TV will pass through a Atmos signal to my soundbar but its a low quality DD Plus Atmos. When I instead use my Xbox, directly connected to my sound system, it uses a much higher quality Dolby MAT Atmos. As soon as I used the TV app, this was a huge noticeable difference. So any app that uses Atmos, we go with the Xbox.
Hmmm but let me bump this here as I'm investigating on the matter and talking to Disney.

In terms of Xbox (both One and Series family), as far as I know it doesn't support Dolby Atmos on the Disney+ app. You get Atmos signal on your receiver because, I'm guessing, you have your console set to output that format "as a container" by default. I'd love to be able, for this apps, to tell the Xbox to just pass whatever through without needing to stick with DD, Atmos, or DTS as the console's fixed format, as it's definitely misleading. EDIT: You do get Atmos via Xbox, my bad.

And yeah there are many reasons why users without TV boxes/players would rather use their consoles. TV's aren't usually as smooth (for example my 2017 Sony X900E), and if you want to return Atmos you need eARC, which is only available on more modern TV's. So yeah, there are many reasons other than the given above.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9327

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've asked Disney+ Support Germany about this and they told me an update is in the works. That's all folks :p

I just don't get why they're releasing a PS4/5 app in 2020/2021 without 4K/HDR support with all the competition which is delivering just that for ages. This is embarrassing for a company like Disney.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I've asked Disney+ Support Germany about this and they told me an update is in the works. That's all folks :p

I just don't get why they're releasing a PS4/5 app in 2020/2021 without 4K/HDR support with all the competition which is delivering just that for ages. This is embarrassing for a company like Disney.

Hopefully soon with the Star update to the catalogue. The PS5 will be my only way to watch Disney+ on my TV in the foreseeable future.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yeah it's really frustrating, it was the same for the PS4 pro.

Once I got my LG C9 and realised the problem, I simply started using the media apps on there as they all work great but for those who don't have TV apps available it's a real pain as you would expect consoles to be the best since they are one of the biggest drivers for home media app use.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
Yes indeed. The apps for Youtube, Disney+, Prime and Netflix are perfect on my C9. Dolby Vision, 4K, everything's there.
The console apps are horseshit, at the least the last gen versions were and as example, Netflix always ran in fake HDR, the whole app, which made SDR stuff look weird. Once I've got my C9, console media apps were dead to me.
Unfortunately you can't get HBO on the LG's

CollectedDust

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
Yankee Ruin X My setup is similar to yours (4K projector, Atmos receiver, using long fiber HDMI, etc.).

To make a long story short, both the XSX and PS5 are less than ideal for streaming video content to our projectors. I did some research, and found that better devices are the Apple TV and Nvidia Shield, as these both offer frame rate matching which IMO is far more important with a projector. I purchased a new Shield Pro for my setup, and it solved all of the issues I was having with the PS5 and XSX. I no longer use these for video content of any kind, as I also found that their UHD players are lacking (another story entirely).

Jafin

May 26, 2018
Ireland

You think that's bad? There's no way to stream above 720p on PC. At all. (Not that I'm trying to make it a competition or anything :P) There is no Windows app, and because of DRM or whatever no browser will let you go above 720p. I've messaged their support on Twitter asking them to pass it up the chain if possible that there needs to either be a dedicated Windows app or allow streaming above 720p through browsers, and also put it in the suggestions part of the website.

The fact that Disney+ released a year and a half ago without these already is bad enough, but for it still to be like that in 2021 is ridiculous.

Conan

Oct 25, 2017
Was this actually just fixed? it looked like disney plus took a patch on PS5 but I can't find info about it online.

I tried to figure it out and had no luck, I'm quite certain the settings in the app only let you select hd and now it says up to 4k, but the HDR wrapper only further confuses things. I thought HDR used to be off entirely when using the app and now it appears to be on for everything.

Last edited:

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Was this actually just fixed? it looked like disney plus took a patch on PS5 but I can't find info about it online.
They patch the app like every three days. It seems every time I turn my system on there's an update for it. I wouldn't hold my breath for any meaningful patch notes, I assume people here on the forums will be shouting it to the heavens when they finally add 4K/HDR support.

Conan

Oct 25, 2017
I think you are right even though they did change it to reference 4k in the settings. I did check the ps5 reddit and the post about it there has like 2k upvotes, but it seems like they might be wrong as well, which isn't particularly surprising.

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
Not sure why you are being condescending. I'm just saying why wouldn't any smart TV have the app since a TV we've had for 3 years was updated with it. Every brand of smart TV I've seen has come with the app.
A lot of people me included have TVs older than 3 years.

the only app I got on my 'old' Sony TV is Netflix.🤷🏻‍♂️
I have an AppleTV 4K because I use IPTV.
Would have used my console if I didn't have it.

Well I see the PS5 app has been updated, good news.

Conan

Oct 25, 2017
www.psu.com

Disney Plus 3.01 Patch Update Finally Brings 4K To PS4, PS5 Users - PlayStation Universe

The Disney Plus update 3.01 has finally brought 4K support to the app on PS5 and PS4! Now you can experience shows above 1080p.
This is just using reddit as the source, which I think is wrong unfortunately.

A lot of people me included have TVs older than 3 years.

the only app I got on my 'old' Sony TV is Netflix.🤷🏻‍♂️
I have an AppleTV 4K because I use IPTV.
Would have used my console if I didn't have it.
Yeah I think the ks8000 is a pretty popular TV here, which is what I have as well, and it doesn't support 4k/HDR with Disney +.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Huh, today I learned that most TV apps are better than console apps. Never would have guessed.

Although I wonder if that's the same for my TV, since it's more on the budget side (Hisense). Will have to try it out later.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
This is just using reddit as the source, which I think is wrong unfortunately.

Yeah I think the ks8000 is a pretty popular TV here, which is what I have as well, and it doesn't support 4k/HDR with Disney +.

Also, my KS TV refuses to connect to the internet altogether for some reason so it's a complete wash.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
The skepticism around using a console app is interesting, I didn't even know this was a thing.
- use console with headphones to controller
- console has ethernet, tv doesn't
- console wifi performance better than tv
- tv doesn't have built in app for every service

Jake2byFour

Oct 28, 2017
The fact he apps Disney+ and HBO max are ps4 apps on on ps5 and PS5 still doesn't have native apps for these two are ridiculous.