• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
The first of many future price hikes most likely.

Disney Plus is following Netflix and introducing a $1 price hike for subscribers in the United States, raising it to $7.99 a month.

The move comes after a lengthy presentation showing what Disney is bringing to Disney Plus. The price hike will begin on March 26, 2021, coming in at $7.99 per month or $79.99 per year. Also, the Disney Bundle — that has Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN Plus — will see a $1 increase to $13.99 a month.

As the company invests in content, the company has to raise prices to recoup that loss. This is the first time that Disney Plus has received a price hike. It arrives just a couple of months after Netflix announced it was increasing prices for subscribers in the United States, including raising its most popular plan from $13 to $14 a month

www.theverge.com

Disney Plus is increasing its price to $8 a month starting in March 2021

Disney Plus is introducing its first ever price hike, one year after launch.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
not surprised and with everything they just announced its not a horrible ask

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
I bought 3 years of it at a reduced price when it came out. Woot.

Nov 18, 2020
And here we go. This was always the plan. Drive as much content into it as possible and then jack up the subscription price incrementally so people have too much FOMO to quit. I expect another raise as soon as they merge Hulu into it.

bigmit37

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Lots of people on this forum predicted it would happen.
If Netflix and Disney get to $20 a piece, I wonder if folks would feel okay subscribing to both.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Urghh...this gonna end up becoming the same price as Netflix by the time it arrives in my country. Fucking suck.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lots of people on this forum predicted it would happen.
If Netflix and Disney get to $20 a piece, I wonder if folks would feel okay subscribing to both.

And some people here expect folks to also sub to these services while paying $20-$30 for individual films via VOD. I think a reality check is incoming.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they can use that money to fix their technical issues. I signed up for a year of D+ and ended up getting a refund because the app worked maybe 30% of the time on our Bravia. After reinstalling the app multiple times, factory resetting the TV twice and three hour-long calls to customer service during which I found out they had no records of my prior calls, I finally spat the dummy and demanded a refund.

Having kids, the app not working first time every time is simply unacceptable.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I can see it now, "Disney increasing its price to $9 a month starting in March 2022.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
By the time the next Avengers film is released, Disney+, HBO Max, and Netflix will rival low tier cable packages.

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
What's the reason for increase though? We don't get Star in the US that includes mature content and FX for Disney+ so we're still playing separate for Hulu ($5.99 or $11.99).

If not for all the Marvel shows in 2021 I'd drop it.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
What's the reason for increase though? We don't get Star in the US that includes mature content and FX for Disney+ so we're still playing separate for Hulu ($5.99 or $11.99).

It's being raised because it was under-priced to get people to subscribe. Now they know they've got you so they can.

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
Have to see the quality of all these Lucasfilm, Pixar & Marvel productions. But if they can all maintain a quality the level of Mando, $80 a year is great value especially when you look at the massive loads of trash Netflix pumps on on a seemingly weekly basis & their current price point. Hard to compare to Prime video when you get Prime shipping perks along with it.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i freaking forgot to stop my automatic sub and they got me for another year a couple of weeks ago. not gonna be paying monthly for this service when all i care about is the mandalorian. don't give a shit about any of the marvel stuff coming down the line. hell the rumored star wars shows sound crappy.

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
It's being raised because it was under-priced to get people to subscribe. Now they know they've got you so they can.

Damn these drug-dealers... hrumph

It was underpriced intentionally to beat Netflix

International markets are finally getting access to Hulu content, so I can understand their price increase.

you answered your own question

cf1.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020

No reason other than capitalism. Getting people hooked so they won't notice the constant incremental price increases was their plan all along. Loss-leader pricing.

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
One dollar every 6-10 months. Slow but steady. Nothing drastic enough to get people to care too much and scare them away from the service.

Except then you suddenly notice 3 years from now that you're paying $16.99 for Disney+.

It'll probably still be the cheaper option between them, HBO Max, & Netflix because they aren't going to stop raising the bill either over that time. Gonna get ugly.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Surprised they only bumped it up a buck, they easily could have gotten away with $9/month

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully they dont raise their price in Latin America, is already way more expensive than prime video and doesnt have even a third of its content, or the content it has on the US and Europe at the very least

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
The $1 price hike isn't about the $1.

It's about moving that price tag ASAP so people don't get used to it staying static. It's going up $1 now so they can get it up to $12.99 + premium tier + more add-ons as soon as they can get away with it.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The $1 price hike isn't about the $1.

It's about moving that price tag ASAP so people don't get used to it staying static. It's going up $1 now so they can get it up to $12.99 + premium tier + more add-ons as soon as they can get away with it.
I think they want to lock people in long term. One month subs aren't what they want anymore.

TromboneTony

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair they did announce a bunch of shit today. I understand this won't be the last price hike they do, but IMO it seems reasonable.

Nov 2, 2017
eventually there's going to be a breaking point. people aren't going to pay $40,50,60/month for each streaming service ontop of internet. in 30 yrs your monthly streaming +internet bill is gonna be $300 ontop of a cellphone bill and those are gonna be what $3,000 ? where does it end?

Oct 27, 2017
Cool. A good reason to subscribe for a month, watch whatever, and then cancel until several months later.
And if that doesn't become possible than cool. Fuck all of that and just do/watch something else.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Inevitable, although for as many shows as they announced none of them will hit the platform until later next year at the earliest (except for one or two Marvel shows, I think?). They are hiking the price without adding value, and their back catalog isn't getting any fresher.