• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Walt Disney Co. plans to sell FoxNext, the video-game business acquired with the purchase of 21st Century Fox's entertainment assets earlier this year, according to people familiar with the matter.

The business, founded two years ago, makes free-to-play mobile games based on entertainment properties, such as the hit Marvel Strike Force, which took in more than $150 million in its first year. FoxNext also has games in the works based on "Avatar" and "Aliens."

Senior Disney executives, including direct-to-consumer chief Kevin Mayer, discussed keeping the company, with Chief Executive Officer Bob Iger concluding that he no longer wants to be in the business of making video games. Disney declined to comment.

Disney, like many entertainment giants, has a checkered history in video games. In 2016, the company shut down its Infinity line of toys and games and many of its game studios. Club Penguin, a once popular online game, was also shuttered.

Been playing Strike Force since launch. It had its ups and downs but was fun regardless. Who knows if they will be allowed to continue using the Marvel IP. Sad to see another Marvel RPG go the way of Avengers Alliance.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I'm surprised they haven't sold LucasArts yet. I don't think Disney has done anything with them since the buyout.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It could not be any more clear that Disney only was ever interested in the ips of the companies it acquires and not it's talent. First lucasarts and now this studio. Hopefully they land on their feet.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
I guess Disney Infinity burned them on Video games?
They really seem to dislike touching the medium themselves.

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
Bob Iger really hates making computer games.... It's one aspect of him that disappoints me, overall he is a great CEO that has created great value for Disney. But his dismissal of investing in games squanders a lot of what Disney could achieve in this space if given a chance.

element

Oct 27, 2017
The core staff have started, sold, left, started, sold, left cycle three or four times already. I'm sure they have exit plans to leave and start something new.

I'm surprised they haven't sold LucasArts yet. I don't think Disney has done anything with them since the buyout.
Cause there isn't anything left. All development ceased in 2013 and the only thing left is administrative staff for licensing.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Disney's lack of game interest is one of the most glaring money wastes of the last 19 years. Imagine if the took they're properties seriously and released family games at the level of Nintendo, and Superhero/Movie titles on the level of WB. They have the money. They just don't want to risk it. They have that tired Activision mentality of cheap and quick.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Disney's lack of game interest is one of the most glaring money wastes of the last 19 years. Imagine if the took they're properties seriously and released family games at the level of Nintendo, and Superhero/Movie titles on the level of WB. They have the money. They just don't want to risk it. They have that tired Activision mentality of cheap and quick.

This one baffles me too, the video game industry makes a lot more then the movie/TV business.

ray_caster

Nov 7, 2017
They have already have in the ways that matter. The studio mostly does licensing now, meaning it is essentially a profit machine. Selling the IP:s themselves is off the table, I assume.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I see no wrong with this move. Disney right now doesn't really have anything to do with game development beyond their IP licensing departments. Foxnext gets sold off to another company that's more aligned to gaming which has more corporate synergy. Disney can and will probably still continue the licensing arrangements.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Disney doesn't want to make their own games. They don't want to be in that market.

They'd rather stick to licensing their stuff out and making the money that way.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Bob Iger really hates making computer games.... It's one aspect of him that disappoints me, overall he is a great CEO that has created great value for Disney. But his dismissal of investing in games squanders a lot of what Disney could achieve in this space if given a chance.

I honestly think it's quite commendable for them to say: "Hey, we don't understand this business and we can't really be a competitor there, so let's let people who know what they're doing work with our IPs instead of us trying to do something we just fundamentally don't understand and / or don't care enough to excel at."

I think the Disney we gamers most fondly remember is the Disney that licensed their IPs to Capcom and Sega, etc. That back then created some real classics like Castle of Illusion.

One thing I'll say is that I think Disney had a real chance to turn Mickey Mouse into a videogame superstar, but they really didn't follow up on their 16bit successes and Warren Spector had no clue what he was doing with Epic Mickey. I think they fucked up quite badly giving the IP to him. Some other developer might have made a Mickey Mouse 3d Platformer that could've competed with Mario.

ray_caster

Nov 7, 2017
One thing I'll say is that I think Disney had a real chance to turn Mickey Mouse into a videogame superstar, but they really didn't follow up on their 16bit successes and Warren Spector had no clue what he was doing with Epic Mickey. I think they fucked up quite badly giving the IP to him. Some other developer might have made a Mickey Mouse 3d Platformer that could've competed with Mario.
I never played them myself, but I thought that the Epic Mickey series was very well received by fans and critics. Am I misremembering or are you referring to other aspects of the games or deals surrounding the games?

thomasmahler

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
I never played them myself, but I thought that the Epic Mickey series was very well received by fans and critics. Am I misremembering or are you referring to other aspects of the games or deals surrounding the games?
Uhm, Epic Mickey and Epic Mickey 2 have a 77 and 64 Metacritic rating respectively. Those games had tons of issues and weren't even close to being in the same ballpark as Mario.

thomasmahler

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
This one baffles me too, the video game industry makes a lot more then the movie/TV business.
You folks are portraying it wrong. There's a couple of giants at the top that make all the money and everyone else is 'sharing the scraps'. Disney was definitely in the group that shared the scraps.

"Disney Interactive Studios has lost more than $200 million per year from 2008–2012[26] during a period in which it shut down Propaganda Games,[27] Black Rock Studio[28] and Junction Point Studios[29] and its co-president John Pleasants stepped down in November 2013 after the launch of Disney Infinity.[26]

On March 6, 2014, 700 employees were laid off.[30] In November 2018, Disney agreed to have Jam City take over operation of its Glendale game studio, sell them Emoji Blitz and for develop of future Pixar and Walt Disney Animation franchises games. Staff at the studio would be offered jobs with Jam City working of the Disney titles.[31]"

Looking at this, it's no wonder that they shut it all down. Losing 200 million a year just isn't sustainable.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
The frustrating part of Disney pulling out of the games industry and killing off Disney Infinity is that it didn't have anything to do with how well the game was doing it was because somebody up top decided to flood the market with more toys than they were ever likely to sell.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
Videogames must be a pretty hard industry to break into if Disney, of all companies, can't make a go of it.

ray_caster

Nov 7, 2017
Uhm, Epic Mickey and Epic Mickey 2 have a 77 and 64 Metacritic rating respectively. Those games had tons of issues and weren't even close to being in the same ballpark as Mario.
True about Mario.

I, however, get the feeling that no matter how much money you sink into establishing Mickey as a successful gaming mascot the success may never come. Mickey already being a successful mascot in other areas of media would undoubtedly help, but that is hardly an assurance. It is probably better to to what Disney is already doing, or leaning towards doing; License the IP, set a minimum bar of quality, and let someone else take the financial risk.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Licensing does seem like the best way for Disney to go about things. Would take a lot of money to set up divisions, and even then there's no guarantee of success. I figure if they wanted to start publishing again they'd acquire already existing devs into the fold, kinda like how Warner Bros. bought up Atari, TT Games, Midway etc.

Sure hope they don't give away exclusive rights in the future, though, like EA and Star Wars. Letting Nintendo and Square Enix make Marvel games was a good move.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Disney just doesn't understand game development costs more then movies and require more time.

They just expect it to be this cheap tie in toy for an easy profit. And when they get serious about it they dont know why the game isnt good, why it's taking so long, and why the costs are what they are.

They need to find a good company that matches with their views on characters and qualities like Nintendo and stick with it. Or better yet Square Enix in its entirety since they still have a pretty good relationship with them.

thomasmahler

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
True about Mario.

I, however, get the feeling that no matter how much money you sink into establishing Mickey as a successful gaming mascot the success may never come. Mickey already being a successful mascot in other areas of media would undoubtedly help, but that is hardly an assurance. It is probably better to to what Disney is already doing, or leaning towards doing; License the IP, set a minimum bar of quality, and let someone else take the financial risk.

Of course, if the games aren't up to par, there won't be any success. But back in the 16-bit days, if Disney would've been smart, they would've had a real shot of having Mickey compete with Mario. I'm guessing no developer jumped on it cause Disney probably offered really bad deals ("Hey, Mickey Mouse is our IP, the name alone will make you sell x million units, so how about we take 90% of the profits and you get almost nothing?").

And yeah, I agree that they should license the IP out, but they'd need to be smart about who they give it to and they'd need to be smart enough to understand that at this point Mickey doesn't have all that much value - I'd be surprised if most kids today even know Mickey Mouse. I might not be all up to date on what Disney has been doing with Mickey, but when I grew up, Mickey was in features and TV shows and so on, Mickey Mouse was huge... not so much today. It's a shame, really.

Disney actually approached us before if we at Moon would like to do something with their IPs, but I'd be too scared having to deal with Disney, maybe even getting a good deal on the first venture and them then putting the hammer down and offering a super bad deal on a follow-up, etc. And it's honestly too much fun for us not to make our own IPs :)

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
Disney just doesn't understand game development costs more then movies and require more time.

They just expect it to be this cheap tie in toy for an easy profit. And when they get serious about it they dont know why the game isnt good, why it's taking so long, and why the costs are what they are.

They need to find a good company that matches with their views on characters and qualities like Nintendo and stick with it. Or better yet Square Enix in its entirety since they still have a pretty good relationship with them.
But the last point is pretty much what they are doing now. They license out their stuff instead on in-house development and that's probably the best route for a lot of IP holders.

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
It seems Disney won't be the all-conquering entertainment conglomerate that we all feared. At least until Bob Iger is replaced.

Long term, it makes no sense for Disney to have such a small role in the video game development and publishing for their own IP. It would be like saying, "Hey Sony, here's Iron Man. Give us some money and you can make as many movies as you like!"

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
You folks are portraying it wrong. There's a couple of giants at the top that make all the money and everyone else is 'sharing the scraps'. Disney was definitely in the group that shared the scraps.

"Disney Interactive Studios has lost more than $200 million per year from 2008–2012[26] during a period in which it shut down Propaganda Games,[27] Black Rock Studio[28] and Junction Point Studios[29] and its co-president John Pleasants stepped down in November 2013 after the launch of Disney Infinity.[26]

On March 6, 2014, 700 employees were laid off.[30] In November 2018, Disney agreed to have Jam City take over operation of its Glendale game studio, sell them Emoji Blitz and for develop of future Pixar and Walt Disney Animation franchises games. Staff at the studio would be offered jobs with Jam City working of the Disney titles.[31]"

Looking at this, it's no wonder that they shut it all down. Losing 200 million a year just isn't sustainable.

I agree here outsourcing is the right move, but for a company with so much financial clout, feels like they have passed an opportunity to make a real impact in this field. Still, you are right they should focus on what they do best, and they do it oh so well.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I agree, most of their old classics were third party. Let Insomniac/Capcom/Square (depending on Avengers) handle the farm and be done with it.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Shame that Disney won't try to invest in the gaming space - they got so many IPs they can use and I am sure there's plenty of talented people they could find to handle them

thomasmahler

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
I agree here outsourcing is the right move, but for a company with so much financial clout, feels like they have passed an opportunity to make a real impact in this field. Still, you are right they should focus on what they do best, and they do it oh so well.
I'd say people make the same argument with Apple and Gaming - It's not that easy to become the king of the hill in an art-form you fundamentally don't understand / care about. Apple could've wiped Nintendo away by making their own handheld based on iPhone tech many times over, but they don't want to be in gaming and that's okay.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say people make the same argument with Apple and Gaming - It's not that easy to become the king of the hill in an art-form you fundamentally don't understand / care about. Apple could've wiped Nintendo away by making their own handheld based on iPhone tech many times over, but they don't want to be in gaming and that's okay.

That's a good analogy I can understand .. who knows we may get a talented developer on a Mickey property at some point

*looks at Moon Studios* :)

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
What about the devs who made Die Hard Trilogy?????

Fox Interactive?

Edit- bought by Vivendi....went out of business.... brought back as a mobile developer. :(

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017

Eh, I'm not convinced it's that simple. Sony made far more powerful handhelds than Nintendo twice in a row, and Nintendo still dominated. I figure Apple never got into gaming precisely because they know that it's a business that you can't succeed at just by throwing money and tech at it.

I, for one, am glad that Disney doesn't want much to do with games. Sure, they have great IP, but their rapid consolidation of market share within various aspects of entertainment is scary as fuck. At least with them licensing out deals with other publishers means there is at least one medium they can't monopolise.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I, for one, am glad that Disney doesn't want much to do with games. Sure, they have great IP, but their rapid consolidation of market share within various aspects of entertainment is scary as fuck. At least with them licensing out deals with other publishers means there is at least one medium they can't monopolise.
I mean I'm sure they could pick up a bunch of studios and let them run independently but I hope they never ever do such a thing.

Oct 26, 2017
I wish Wideload survived. Very underrated dev that had talent for cartoony games, like their Wii game at Disney; Guilty Party.

Avalanche somehow was saved from the brink of oblivion by Warner Bros of all companies, but have been stuck on a Harry Potter RPG apparently for nearly three years. Toy Story 3 was really well done, including on Wii.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Well, there's also the voracious manner in which he appears eager to acquire every last entertainment property on the planet, which is super-vile and dickish.