• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What rides shut down if it rains? We're going in the end of February and historically that's been the wettest month

Depends on the severity of the rain, the only time I've seen a ride shut down in Disneyland because of light rain was the Matterhorn. Heavier (which is kind of rare in Socal) pretty much all the outdoor rides except the water rides (Splash Mountain and Grizzly Rapids).

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
I live in LA and go to Land monthly. Haven't been to World in several years now, but been about a dozen times total in my life. My experience there has always been better. Like I said, DLand does occasionally have standout employees too, but they are often the minority. At World I felt like every single one was standout, or at least not distractedly out of it. At Land I regularly witness CMs yell at people, be crabby, look bored, not get into the attraction theme/role, etc.

The exception to this most frequently is Haunted Mansion, where you'll more frequently get someone making the puns that go along with the ride -- though even still, in World it will happen EVERY time. Occasionally you get someone who goes the extra mile on Guardians as well.

That said, I get it. Land is more cramped and sees a ton of people per day, which only makes it feel MORE cramped. But I prefer World's more Disney-pure policy of the CMs keeping smiles on at all times, at minimum. And preferably getting into the attraction as well (like the HM ones often do).

Part of the reason this is all better at World is because people come from all over the country (and world) to work at WDW. It is a very international workforce because of the college program. People literally applied and work their ass off to be there, in many instances. In Land it's more often local employees who got the job at Disney instead of In-N-Out or Target.

20+ years ago, the Jungle Cruise at Disneyland was a delight due to the guides' delivery and charisma. Now it's just bored guides quickly reading lines in monotone.

I don't really interact with cast members in any other context but if they act like the Jungle Crusie guides, then your points are absolutely right.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
20+ years ago, the Jungle Cruise at Disneyland was a delight due to the guides' delivery and charisma. Now it's just bored guides quickly reading lines in monotone.

I don't really interact with cast members in any other context but if they act like the Jungle Crusie guides, then your points are absolutely right.
Not to mention how they all have the boats on max speed now to get through each ride as fast as possible, despite the attraction being a perpetual 5 - 20 min max wait.

But you actually interact with CMs way more than that, even at attractions where they aren't 'meant to be in character' (although, really, that should ideally be every attraction). You see them walking around the park, managing traffic, operating rides, serving food, etc.

Recently I feel like Galaxy's Edge in general is the only attempt that has been made at Disneyland to really get the CMs to all act as designed, but even there I feel like it has been chipped away at since the land's launch and it won't be long before they're all like the rest of the park.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
But you actually interact with CMs way more than that, even at attractions where they aren't 'meant to be in character' (although, really, that should ideally be every attraction). You see them walking around the park, managing traffic, operating rides, serving food, etc.

You're right, I should have clarified that I was talking about cast members that are supposed to be "in character." The people doing things like sweeping and serving and loading rides are fine, they do a good job at the actual job, but they're "just there" and nothing more.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There are approximately 120-150 boarding groups called a day, then backup groups for days when the ride has few / no breakdowns or delays.

Even with refreshing as fast as I could, I only managed group 52 within the first 60 seconds after 7am hit on Saturday. It's alarming how fast they go. Group 52 started boarding exactly at 12pm so I had time to explore Epcot a bit.

Starting in a couple weeks, Hollywood Studios is set to open again at 9am. I wonder if they'll extend these 7am open days or if they'll go with a modified boarding pass system soon.

OP
OP
El Bombastico

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Recently I feel like Galaxy's Edge in general is the only attempt that has been made at Disneyland to really get the CMs to all act as designed, but even there I feel like it has been chipped away at since the land's launch and it won't be long before they're all like the rest of the park.

Dude, I noticed that over the course of a few weeks. I visited GE like 5 times over last summer. The first time, which was the first week it opened, every CM was fully into it, always standing up alert and into character, always answering questions in universe.

By the last time I went in late July with my whole family, it looked like the life had been sucked out of everyone. Maybe it was the heat, maybe it was the rumors I heard that when GE and DL attendance as a whole was down a lot of CMs got their hours cut, maybe it was dealing with the asshole tourists every day, but every CM looked just drained. A few of them just sat down in the shade, and all of them broke character when you asked them questions or directions.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the Disney World app now, I wonder if they flattened the boarding groups so that there aren't so many. It's 2pm in Orlando and they're only boarding groups 29-33 right now, and they capped out at 81 for the day. Either the ride is breaking down and delaying a lot today or they recalculated they size / scope of boarding group numbers.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
One thing that, in my mind, may help cast members who want to stay in character stay in character is just... Call things what they are, "canonically".

I mean there are literal ducks which are called ducks in the Star Wars universe, you can call a bathroom a bathroom, lol.

The one tricky bit might be the lightsaber building thing, but they could figure out a way to make it work. Rename the shop it takes place in "Saber" or something. So if someone asks they can say like "oh, Saber's? Down that way."

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The one tricky bit might be the lightsaber building thing, but they could figure out a way to make it work. Rename the shop it takes place in "Saber" or something. So if someone asks they can say like "oh, Saber's? Down that way."

It's not that hard to read what Savi's is on a map or an app. That doesn't need to be changed.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree given physical guide maps are a thing but it sounds like CMs are getting exhausted from the role play when certain guests don't want to play along.
It doesn't matter. It's literally their job to commit to the role play. This kind of stuff used to be what set Disney apart, and in theory still can be. The fact that standards have fallen in Anaheim so that they can be lazy about it and not commit to their role doesn't change that.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Looking at the Disney World app now, I wonder if they flattened the boarding groups so that there aren't so many. It's 2pm in Orlando and they're only boarding groups 29-33 right now, and they capped out at 81 for the day. Either the ride is breaking down and delaying a lot today or they recalculated they size / scope of boarding group numbers.
Huh, when I went on 12/24 we were in Group 53 or something like that and got on around 1 PM. They capped it at like 125 or so I believe.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No they haven't changed it. Looking at reports, it has a 6+ hour breakdown today.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
One thing that, in my mind, may help cast members who want to stay in character stay in character is just... Call things what they are, "canonically".

I mean there are literal ducks which are called ducks in the Star Wars universe, you can call a bathroom a bathroom, lol.

Aren't bathrooms called "the 'fresher" in the SW universe?

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
It doesn't matter. It's literally their job to commit to the role play. This kind of stuff used to be what set Disney apart, and in theory still can be. The fact that standards have fallen in Anaheim so that they can be lazy about it and not commit to their role doesn't change that.
I don't feel like calling people who are out in the hot sun for hours and hours "lazy" because they break character to actually help confused guests is fair or right. Which is why, perhaps, standards have loosened- some park guests are dense as bricks or hyper-entitled, so, to be fair to the cast members, they have to dumb down the script or otherwise allow them to break character. I was merely offering a way they could stay on script without having to inconvenience problem guests.
Aren't bathrooms called "the 'fresher" in the SW universe?
Yeah, that's what I'm trying to get at. It's not really a necessary moniker, especially in such a wide galaxy where, say, Blackspire Outpost COULD have freshers called restrooms as a local dialect if they're unwilling to update canon in other ways. I could easily see some high-and-mighty guests getting mad because little Timmy needs to pee and the cast members aren't allowed to tell them where the bathroom is but, according to their rules, have to saying "oh, do you mean the fresher? It's right there!" and then Karen or Bob or whoever shouts at them like "No, the bathroom!!!"

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't feel like calling people who are out in the hot sun for hours and hours "lazy" because they break character to actually help confused guests is fair or right. Which is why, perhaps, standards have loosened- some park guests are dense as bricks or hyper-entitled, so, to be fair to the cast members, they have to dumb down the script or otherwise allow them to break character. I was merely offering a way they could stay on script without having to inconvenience problem guests.
Just to be clear, I don't want to come across as "hyper-entitled", and I definitely think any cast member in any role can and should be able to tell people where the bathroom is. All I'm saying is that every other Disney park around the world has a certain standard. People are paying a premium price to enter these parks and are supposed to be getting a premium show, at all times. I get that CMs are people too. They have feelings, they can have bad days. But their job is to not show that, and to make the guest's experience, as they say, "magical". It's literally their job. If they want to be lazy or look bored or not stay in character or get angry at the guests, they can go work for Universal or Six Flags, or do a myriad of other jobs rather than be an employee at a Disney theme park.

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Just to be clear, I don't want to come across as "hyper-entitled", and I definitely think any cast member in any role can and should be able to tell people where the bathroom is. All I'm saying is that every other Disney park around the world has a certain standard. People are paying a premium price to enter these parks and are supposed to be getting a premium show, at all times. I get that CMs are people too. They have feelings, they can have bad days. But their job is to not show that, and to make the guest's experience, as they say, "magical". It's literally their job. If they want to be lazy or look bored or not stay in character or get angry at the guests, they can go work for Universal or Six Flags, or do a myriad of other jobs rather than be an employee at a Disney theme park.
Oh, I didn't mean you when I said as much. I'm thinking about a very specific type of guest. I fully understand many cast members are, essentially, supposed to be partially actors, and as long as they get paid properly for their labor, they should absolutely give their all to the job they applied for. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what's going on here, but it just sounds to me like making a whole land essentially a LARP experience while the rest of the park hasn't really been one for decades for the most part might've backfired if they're already laying off on being in character all the time.

kaiush

Jan 22, 2018
I just went on Rise of the Resistance yesterday. The rode broke down halfway through the first time but they gave us fast passes to get on whenever we wanted. But we ended up wasting like 50 minutes of our day
The ride was okay. But they need to tweak it a bit. You end up waiting in a second line to go on the "real" ride part and that kinda kills the momentum. They hurry you through this really cool big room full of storm troopers and stuff just to stand in a poorly ventilated hallway for ten minutes. I don't want to spoil much but overall, let's put it this way: today we are going on space mountain and splash and Indy and pirates again instead of dealing with Rise.

Galaxy's Edge itself is alright. It wasn't super crowded (the whole park is pretty chill this week). At night, a few of the side areas at GE were entirely empty, which was a sight to see, for sure.

Last edited:

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Its surprising to hear people saying the US cast member break character a lot. There's definitely a 50/50 at the paris park between cast members who are there to assist and those who are there to keep the atmosphere on point. Tower of Terror were probably the best for this. But I'd kind of always thought the US parks were way more strict about it.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's the same thing, they rebranded the original Fastpass system as Fastpass+ with some extra perks (namely that you can reserve rides in advance) a few years ago.
Yep, you can reserve starting at 30 days before your trip. 60 if you plan on staying on property.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I was an engineer first go round and enjoyed the ride but was a bit put off by how little that role does.

Being the pilot makes you feel like you're actually doing something. I wish they would have given the engineers and gunners a joystick to aim with at the very least to make it a bit more even.
Engineer on Smugglers Run is sort-of a weird position. If everyone else is doing their job, then yeah, engineer doesn't have much to do. When I rode it, on the other hand, the gunner was a 5-year old, so me and the other engineer were having to repair things all the time, it was fun.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
All the FastPasses for Falcon are already gone in Hollywood Studios from February 19th to the 22nd (30 days out). I still think Slinky Dog sees bigger lines and is a better E-Ticket FastPass anyway, though it's just as hard to get.

Deleted member 9479

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
All the FastPasses for Falcon are already gone in Hollywood Studios from February 19th to the 22nd (30 days out). I still think Slinky Dog sees bigger lines and is a better E-Ticket FastPass anyway, though it's just as hard to get.

Yeah I would probably advocate for FP for Slinky Dog, rope drop MFSR. Actually that's exactly what I just told my parents for their trip coming in May.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I generally dislike interacting with people who are "in character".....I think a lot of people do as well. GE is cool but I am not really interested in a Star Wars Rennaisance Fair. Just have the stormtroopers, bartenders, and major characters stay in character. Let the grunts, store clerks and engineers do whatever works best for a particular situation. Somebody who just wants to buy a hot dog or find a changing table for their baby shouldn't need to navigate around needless theatricality.

Oct 25, 2017
I generally dislike interacting with people who are "in character".....I think a lot of people do as well. GE is cool but I am not really interested in a Star Wars Rennaisance Fair. Just have the stormtroopers, bartenders, and major characters stay in character. Let the grunts, store clerks and engineers do whatever works best for a particular situation. Somebody who just wants to buy a hot dog or find a changing table for their baby shouldn't need to navigate around needless theatricality.

Besides some extra flavor text, all this sort of shit goes down exactly as you would expect. There's not really anything to navigate around.

If you ask where the bathrooms are they will clearly point and tell you how to get to the "refreshers."
If you want to know how much something is they will tell you it's exactly 49.99 "credits."
If you ask for a hotdog they will tell you to head around the corner to Ronto Roasters.
You will always get an answer.

I've been to GE West a whole bunch of times and literally zero times has a cast member ever said to me "oh dont you mean the STAR WARS WORD?!" They just pepper it into their own lines, which is the perfect amount of "theatricality." I couldn't tell you what they're up to over in Florida, but in Cali nobody is ignoring your questions to make lightsaber noises at you. It's pretty straightforward.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Slinky is a shockingly enjoyable coaster.

And I agree with killing FP+, especially with the rumors that Disney will be further monetizing it by offering more passes per day

This would never happen since it would be taking something away, but if we're monetizing FP at all then I'd rather have the entire system be monetized. That works out pretty well for Universal Orlando and I doubt the number of people willing to shell out hundreds of dollars for FP on top of hundreds of dollars for tickets + accommodations would be enough to significantly impact standby. FP+ is a total trap right now. Yeah, you don't really have to wait for three rides, but everything else you do is going to be massively inflated. I guess you can get additional FPs after you use your first three but that can be a total crapshoot, plus you have to arrive early and have existing FPs that line up with that schedule which requires booking super far in advance which might require staying onsite and gahhhhhh

welp, that turned into a rant

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
This would never happen since it would be taking something away, but if we're monetizing FP at all then I'd rather have the entire system be monetized. That works out pretty well for Universal Orlando and I doubt the number of people willing to shell out hundreds of dollars for FP on top of hundreds of dollars for tickets + accommodations would be enough to significantly impact standby. FP+ is a total trap right now. Yeah, you don't really have to wait for three rides, but everything else you do is going to be massively inflated. I guess you can get additional FPs after you use your first three but that can be a total crapshoot, plus you have to arrive early and have existing FPs that line up with that schedule which requires booking super far in advance which might require staying onsite and gahhhhhh

welp, that turned into a rant

100% agreed. I'm opposed to the class-based direction the parks seem to be going in, but I agree Universal's model would probably be the option--especially as one who used it a few weeks ago and kind of loved it (even if I felt a little dirty using it!!!)

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
100% agreed. I'm opposed to the class-based direction the parks seem to be going in, but I agree Universal's model would probably be the option--especially as one who used it a few weeks ago and kind of loved it (even if I felt a little dirty using it!!!)

lmao. Unlimited express from staying onsite at Universal is the dirtiest shit. It's like having a Game Genie. Even regular express feels like cheating.

Did you get on Hagrid?

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
lmao. Unlimited express from staying onsite at Universal is the dirtiest shit. It's like having a Game Genie. Even regular express feels like cheating.

Did you get on Hagrid?

Haha it really is like a game genie.

And I did! 3 times! Unfortunately no hacks for that one haha, just 1-2 hour waits each time. Amazing ride; I prefer it to Rise of the Resistance!