• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
It's fair enough if they shouldn't have proposed up there, if they do it everyone might start doing it, but snatching someone's shit out of their hand let alone a probably expensive engagement ring? Lost me there. Dude's a prick for doing it.

Empty Your Head

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 1, 2022
I'm not saying I care. Your replies to the other guy were just weird and ignoring the context.

I'm not ignoring the context, you assume and continue to assume that. There isn't anything weird about that.

Yes. People never ever jump over locked gates or walk right past signs that says "no entrance". Especially not at Disney.

And seeing how the first frame of the video shows a closed gate at the bottom of those steps...

Hey, you're right. They better just close the park entirely and bulldoze the thing. Then the problem will be fully solved.

They guy proposing in the video says to the cast member "She said.." and gestures towards someone off-screen which seems to indicate that a cast member said it was fine.

If that's the case, one would assume it only happened because someone said it was fine. Not that he hopped a fence, or ignored a sign, or even ignored park staff.

I don't believe that for a second knowing how strict the cast members are.

Why assume the guy is lying? People aren't robots and can make mistakes. The cast member in question also could've thought it was fine due to being a proposal and it being done quickly.

Man, I feel like some of you act as if he scaled the side of the castle and hung a giant banner that said "will you marry me?" He stood on a slightly elevated platform.

It didn't need this reaction from the cast member on camera.

Just saved my dude a lifetime of shame of having to say "I proposed to your mom at disney on TikTok"

What is shameful about this? What do you consider an acceptable proposal?

he just wanted to save her from a guy that proposes at disney.
good lad.

Why is this a bad thing, exactly? Could it not be something the woman in question may have expressed wanting previously?

Ketch

Oct 25, 2017
It's fair enough if they shouldn't have proposed up there, if they do it everyone might start doing it, but snatching someone's shit out of their hand let alone a probably expensive engagement ring? Lost me there. Dude's a prick for doing it.

Totally agree. Like ok I get it can't be up there… but grab the ring? no. Run in between the crying girlfriend and the guy laying his heart out? Hard no. 0% tact.

There's a better way.

Stand behind them, give a little supportive clap, tell them they gotta get down and usher them off stage.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Why assume the guy is lying? People aren't robots and can make mistakes. The cast member in question also could've thought it was fine due to being a proposal and it being done quickly.

Man, I feel like some of you act as if he scaled the side of the castle and hung a giant banner that said "will you marry me?" He stood on a slightly elevated platform.

It didn't need this reaction from the cast member on camera.

Bc people break the rules all the time at Disney Parks thinking they're special. The rules are pretty strict at the parks. So my assumption is they wanted to be special and got caught.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was at this park just last week and saw a proposal in this exact area. Nobody swooped in like that. It was one minute, everyone clapped and moved on.

At regular ole Disneyland I've seen a good half dozen proposals in front of the castle (and one at the Ferris Wheel in DCA) and guess what...not a big deal. It's done and over with quick.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
I've been to Disneyland Paris recently and my take on this is that the CM's outfit is only worn during the parade/show that uses those stages, so presumably the performers were on their way. And that stage is loaded up with a fuck ton of wired-up pyro shortly before the show, and they have had issues with that pyro in the past, and you bet your ass that if any of that went off and injured a guest who clambered up on stage it'd be his fault, too.

Probably shouldn't have grabbed the ring off them, but I'd put "get trespassing visitors away from wired-up pyrotechnics" pretty high up on the list of urgent things to do if it was my job, so I can't fault him doing it really.

I'll chime in:
They claim that they got the ok/go ahead. If this was a special request -- usually... Uuusuualllyy for a special requests it bubbles up and a manager will usually be present to deal and crowd control. Photopass usually (not always) gets involved per the request of the party.

If it's a normal typical request. At minimum a photographer will be present. There's no need for a manager to be present for a normal regular location.

There are locations that are strictly off access for patrons of the park. The stage is surrounded by railing.

So there are a few scenarios at play.

They asked. Were declined to use the stage.
They went in anyway.

Hence his very aggressive dealing with the situation.

They asked but beat around the bush and didnt explicitly say where they wanted to propose. Were told yeah. Of course you can propose in park. Used that as an opportunity to go in to that space.

They asked some random worker and were given false info.

They decided to just go and do it.

Or, they asked, and just straight up miscommunication and assumed they were good.

It easy to point the finger and say how dare he. But he could be penalized for not acting. Do I agree with how he dealt with that situation? No. But no matter how he dealt with the situation, the moment will be killed no matter if he did it in the most polite shooing or snatching the ring as he did.

Not justifying his actions, but the amount of times they have to tell people they can't do x and y, and the vitriol they deal with or the utter disregard some patrons give to workers. I can understand his heavy handed tactics.

That said. He probably got reprimanded for grabbing the ring out of their hands.

Pretty good points, especially regarding fireworks/pyrotechnics.

Grabbing the ring might be shitty, but the public really are clueless about rules and safety, so it's slightly annoying when everyone is jumping down Cast Member throats, like dang, even if the CM is wrong, they still have a job to keep. It's selfish whichever perspective you want to look at it, but as much as the CM's attitude was a bit off, I'd rather that than something terrible happening because I was adamant to use an off-limit stage.

I also feel the CM taking the ring, running and stopping was a much more effective way of getting them to haul ass rather than "Oh, err, excuse me good patrons, but this area is off limits". Especially if it's a health and safety concern. It looks bad, yes, but it probably got the desired result far quicker and effectively.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Yeah I agree pretty much. I'm not a big fan of people making proposals all like "hey everyone look at us" but don't touch people's stuff.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I think both parties kinda suck here.
People shouldn't be going into off-limits areas thinking they are special but the way the guy handled it was really bad.

But who hasn't had a bad day at work and made a mistake? Seems uncalled for for the internet to call him a loser and god knows what else

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Dude fucked himself for no good reason haha

Now I almost feel bad for actually planning and paying for my proposal at Disneyland, should just have gone to an off-limits area in front on the castle.

Oct 29, 2017
Feel bad for workers who are put in those shitty situations of having to enforce arbitrary rules established by their employer, but grabbing the ring? EH EH, that just ain't gonna cut it. He's gotta go.

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is in Disneyland Paris. Fuck the guy for running the moment and especially for taking the ring. He's 100% fired for that. From his perspective I think the issue is that they're on a stage that is for cast members and not the public. I think you can see there's a gate and green fence surrounding it that they must have jumped to get to it.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
The cast member looks like a snitch bitch to me. The type of person that would tell the manager if you took an extra 5 minutes during your break or would listen into a conversation you're having about someone else.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How the employee should have handled things

ZUwWqJ0.gif

Lucky Aces

Banned
Dec 7, 2020
Random Reddit poster:

"One Redditor alleged that he knows an employee who works for Disney, who told him that company employees are "explicitly told that we never touch a guest without their clear permission, given either verbally or through body language. We're not allowed to take their property under any circumstances and doing so results in termination.

"We're also trained to do anything we can to keep our guests happy and continue to sell the image of 'most magical place on Earth,'" the employee allegedly told the Redditor. "This employee will be terminated pretty swiftly should this video make it to the right people. All he had to do was wait 10 seconds. Get it out there and he's a goner."

Disney also apologized.

"We regret how this was handled," the Disney spokesperson added. "We have apologized to the couple involved and offered to make it right."

Employee probably fucked himself for no reason.

Yep. That dude is so fired and will be probably have a serious black mark on any other job he applies to now with THIS as his reputation.

No lie, I'm not a violent dude by any stretch, I never harmed a fly (ok not totally true, I killed a bunch of flies, but you get my metaphor), but I would have clocked that guy so hard if he did that shit to me. Proposing to someone I love and taking a VERY expensive piece of property like a ring? Yeah you're ass is grass after that. Dude could have waited another 10 seconds, and it would have been fine to just be like, "hey congratulations you two! I do have to ask if you could step aside outside of the stage, but may you two have an incredible life together!". Just something like that after they hug and kiss.

And the attitude along with his unnecessary power tripping…yeah I'm surprised he didn't get punched in the face for that. Because it would have been totally justified.

Last edited:

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Agreed. The guy could have waited 30 seconds let them do their thing then politely ask them to leave the restricted area.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
The bottom line is that common human decency dictates that, unless someone is in danger, a proposal is something that you do NOT interrupt.

Even if they managed to get to this restricted area, if you can't get them off before the knee goes down, you take the L and wait the fifteen seconds for them to finish. Kick them out of the park at that point, nobody would care, but you don't interrupt a proposal. Especially in such a physical way.

Iamcenok

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who worked for Disney, snatching the ring is a totally fireable offence imo. In no way whatsoever do you touch a guest unprompted especially when it's a confrontational enviroment.

All your other points stand and all this guy needed to do was approach them and tell them it's a secure area and ask them to leave. His management would have said he would have done all that was asked of him for that. Taking someones possesions out of their hands can be considered assault and battery which Disney would not want even if it wasn't viral.

Ayyy where did you work?

It can totally be a termination he's looking at, I agree. I've found disney to be very inconsistent in how they deal with terminations or discipline.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Ayyy where did you work?

It can totally be a termination he's looking at, I agree. I've found disney to be very inconsistent in how they deal with terminations or discipline.
It was on ships which has all the same rules as parks and resorts but yea you are absolutely right they can be super inconsistent(not just with discipline lol) but usually when it involves guests it's a firm hand. This is Paris though and they have a different management overseeing them so who knows. I know people who have been blacklisted from parks and resorts but can still be hired in Paris for example.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
The cast member looks like a snitch bitch to me. The type of person that would tell the manager if you took an extra 5 minutes during your break or would listen into a conversation you're having about someone else.

Holy shit. Yes the guy shouldn't have taken the ring, but some of these takes about how the CM was a bitch/or he is an hourly employee so his job doesn't matter are just horrendous.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
The bottom line is that common human decency dictates that, unless someone is in danger, a proposal is something that you do NOT interrupt.

Even if they managed to get to this restricted area, if you can't get them off before the knee goes down, you take the L and wait the fifteen seconds for them to finish. Kick them out of the park at that point, nobody would care, but you don't interrupt a proposal. Especially in such a physical way.

It's common human decency to not break the rules because you believe the rules don't apply to you. The guy took his job to far by grabbing the ring, but he was 100% in the right in trying to remove them.

The amount of entitlement being shown is insane.

Last edited:

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
My hot take on this is that it's not the first time it's happened and the CM is sick of people breaking the rules. The other times they just got to the couple trespassing earlier.

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't know about this one. The guy's just trying to do his job. How do we know they really had permission to be up there? There has to be more to this. There always is.

No he wasn't lol. What fucking corporate training video shows you how to tackle a ring like it's about to shoot your mama before the cursed proposal takes place.

This wasn't his job at all.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
It's common human decency to not break the rules because you believe the rules don't apply to you. The guy took his job to far by grabbing the ring, but he was 100% in the right in trying to remove them.

The amount of entitlement being shown is insane.

You're absolutely right, but there are degrees.

Like I said, punish them to whatever extent you want to afterward. But unless someone is being hurt, just wait the ten seconds to let the proposal go through and then handle business.

The sane approach is to walk up and say "ok, ok, let's move along" as you usher them out. Not to act like the guy pulled out a gun.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
No he wasn't lol. What fucking corporate training video shows you how to tackle a ring like it's about to shoot your mama before the cursed proposal takes place.

I mean...surely not anything explicitly saying that of course, but a conflict between "Never EVER touch a guest's property" and "Never EVER let people on stage," like...I don't think it's really all that hard to imagine that causing a problem with a split second decision? Have you worked in a high pressure hospitality job before?

Operations

Oct 29, 2017

Perhaps he had to ruin the scene to avoid a snapshot doing the rounds in the Internet and Management using it against him? Maybe he was reprimanded for a similar incident? We know very little.

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
Yeah, both parties fucked up.

Getting to a place that's off limits for a proposal? Be ready for any consequences, including having the proposal be interrupted. You're not special.

As for the employee, grabbing the ring was a bad choice, but the couple looks like they would've ignored him if he tried to politely tell them to move.

Employee shouldn't be fired, just reprimanded.

Thinking it through, the couple probably did this for free shit. I wouldn't put it past some people.

kIdMuScLe

Oct 27, 2017
Los angeles
The couple had asked permission with another employee beforehand. They were not special; they were allowed.

Not really. Disney parks have a department that handles engagement proposals which are pretty darn expensive and can be a special location that's off limits to regular guests. I'm sure the ring grabber got reprimanded or fired and the cast member who had no authority to give permission probably got the same thing.

Bionic

Oct 27, 2017
That's really messed up, because now that cast member has to marry the guy instead.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the Disney employee thought this was going to be a protest against climate change.

Nov 3, 2021
If you aren't familiar with the exact reason for certain rules, you can't just decide that rules are not a big deal.

If the couple didn't actually have permission, the person who lied about having permission is the villain, no question. No other villainy comes close.

Jun 17, 2019
So apparently this stage may have had pyrotechnics attached with it. If something went wrong and those fireworks went off by chance, then Disney would see a lawsuit for the couple being injured. I've seen stages at Disney having fireworks come up from under the stage (see some of their Halloween shows) so it's not beyond a chance for such a thing to be true. If it is true, I can see why the employee wanted them off the stage. Can you see the Headlines? "Couple hurt in freak Disney firework accident."