• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017

giphy-downsized.gif

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Why would you think anything rated higher than G would go to Disney+? It's like you don't know the company that you're dealing with...you think films like M*A*S*H and Walk the Line are going to be on D+?

A large portion of Pixar's films are PG. So I don't know why you think Disney wouldn't go higher than G.

Also, a very large portion of Disney +'s most popular content is rated PG-13.

All of the Marvel films are PG-13.
The Simpsons Movie is PG-13.
Multiple Star Wars films are PG-13. (The Force Awakens, Rogue One, Revenge of the Sith, The Last Jedi)
Films like "Never Been Kissed" and "10 Things I Hate About You" are available on Disney+ right now. They are PG-13.
The Pirates of the Caribbean films are PG-13.
Saving Mr. Banks is PG-13.

Last edited:

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
A large portion of Pixar's films are PG. So I don't know why you think Disney wouldn't go higher than G.

Multiple Star Wars films are PG-13. (The Force Awakens, Rogue One, Revenge of the Sith, The Last Jedi)
Films like "Never Been Kissed" and "10 Things I Hate About You" are available on Disney+ right now. They are PG-13.
It's like you don't know the company that you're dealing with...

Coyote Zamora

alt account
Banned
Jul 19, 2019

None of them are adult themed or have large amounts of true violence or cursing. A great deal of that list will end up on Hulu but will never ever be on D+, to even ask is well foolish.

Deleted member 33

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
None of them are adult themed or have large amounts of true violence or cursing. A great deal of that list will end up on Hulu but will never ever be on D+, to even ask is well foolish.

I said I didn't expect everything on my list to be on the service. I said I would be happy if even 30% of that list appeared on the service.

Majority of my list were family movies like Mrs Doubtfire, Jingle All the Way, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Anastasia, Horton Hears a Who, and X-Men films.

My list also mentioned movies that Disney told us was coming to Disney+. Disney said old films like "Hello Dolly" and "The Gods Must Be Crazy" are coming to Disney+. That's why I threw those specific films on there.

Screenshot_2019-04-12-Disneys-Investor-Day-2019-Webcast-The-Walt-Disney-Company15-880x440.png

I agree that I shouldn't have mentioned "M.A.S.H" because that film was later re-rated from "PG" to "R" years later. (That's something I actually forgot about. I thought it had maintained the PG rating, but I can see that's not the case anymore.)

Last edited:

Coyote Zamora

alt account
Banned
Jul 19, 2019
Well at least you are shifting the goal posts to now 'a great deal' of the list won't be on Disney +
If it makes hou feel better to think that i am then cool. But i'll make it even more clear for you, nothing with adult themes, sexual innnuendo or content, cursing or true violence will EVER be on D+. They have already said it will be on Hulu and pretty much everything on tht loist that isn't a cartoon does not qualify. Have fun arguing semantics if you like. I mean, The Martian is on there and the word "fuck" is it like 10 times, Wslk the Line contains drug use and references

Jul 4, 2018
Disney+ also has "fuck" edited out of Adventures in Babysitting.
That sucks, don't have the service yet so didn't know that. Still maybe if they editing some films does raise the possibility of films like Titanic, Alita and Ford v Ferrari coming to the service even if they are neutered. If that's the case I could see PG-13 edits appearing on Disney+ and unedited versions on Hulu (which I still really wish would come overseas real soon)

Coyote Zamora

alt account
Banned
Jul 19, 2019
Oh Lord, I'm too tired to even debate this at this point. Continue to live in your dream world where Disney goes against 80+ years of their mission to provide wholesome family entertainment.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
If it makes hou feel better to think that i am then cool. But i'll make it even more clear for you, nothing with adult themes, sexual innnuendo or content, cursing or true violence will EVER be on D+. They have already said it will be on Hulu and pretty much everything on tht loist that isn't a cartoon does not qualify. Have fun arguing semantics if you like. I mean, The Martian is on there and the word "fuck" is it like 10 times, Wslk the Line contains drug use and references

A fair portion of the list that you dismissed entirely has none of those things. You should have just called out Mash to begin with.

I've watched the Martian numerous times, fuck was said once and inferred once. I don't think it ends up on Disney Plus, because Hulu is going to need a strong library.

Out of Emily's list, I whittled down the movies a bit.

FernGully: The Last Rainforest (1992)
Mrs. Doubtfire (1993)
Jingle All the Way (1996)
Anastasia (1997)
Titan A.E. (2000)
Digimon: The Movie (2000)
X-Men (2000)
Ice Age (2002)
X-Men 2 (2003)
Robots (2005) - Blue Sky animation
Night at the Museum (2006)
Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium (2007)
Dr. Seuss Horton Hears a Who! (2008)
Rio (2011)
Mr. Popper's Penguins (2011)
X-Men: First Class (2011)
Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters (2013)
Walking with Dinosaurs (2013)
The Wolverine (2013)
X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014)
The Peanuts Movie (2015)
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (2016)
Ferdinand (2017)

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
Are there enough people watching High School Musical: The Musical: The Series that we could sustain an OT? It's the other big scripted original show on the service right now besides The Mandalorian, and while I get The Mandalorian aligns with this forum's interests perhaps way more than HSMTMTS ever could, I think there's a lot that could be discussed. For example, take this video.

From this, we could talk about 1. The show's young cast being very talented (acting/singing/songwriting) 2. The fact that they are singing live here and how that's a great decision 3. How in the world these lyrics could possibly be relevant for Ms. Darbus in Act II and if Miss Jenn made a mistake trusting Ashlyn with writing something. The show has a big cast with a lot of stories, plus the weekly music, so I think there's a lot to discuss and speculate on. It's also already confirmed for a second season.

Anyway, OT or not, I hope others are enjoying HSMTMTS!

Last edited:

Deleted member 33

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
A man gets decapitated in Revenge of the Sith and a lot of shits are thrown around in the MCU so I don't think that's the case as far as adult themed I give you Up! Check Mate.

Remember the opening scene of Pirates of the Carribean 3 where a bunch of people are hung -- including a kid? That sure was wholesome entertainment for the family! ;-)

If that's the case I could see PG-13 edits appearing on Disney+ and unedited versions on Hulu

This actually makes a lot of sense. I could totally see something like this happening.

I know they have Gordon Ramsay's Uncharted on Disney+ and I hear he cusses up a storm on that. (I assume most of it is censored/bleeped though. I haven't watched it yet myself.)

Coyote Zamora

alt account
Banned
Jul 19, 2019
A fair portion of the list that you dismissed entirely has none of those things. You should have just called out Mash to begin with.

I've watched the Martian numerous times, fuck was said once and inferred once. I don't think it ends up on Disney Plus, because Hulu is going to need a strong library.

Out of Emily's list, I whittled down the movies a bit.
Honestly, I overestimated this place. I didn't think I would have to specify which things on the list would be viewed as questionable for Disney+ but here we are.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I overestimated this place. I didn't think I would have to specify which things on the list would be viewed as questionable for Disney+ but here we are.
We all know Disney is a family friendly company. But the fact is there are lots of PG and PG-13 movies already on the service. And there are movies on the service with curse words edited out. There's also movies on the service where nothing is edited out (such as someone calling Tony Stark a "pussy" in Iron Man 3 or Count Dooku getting decapitated in Revenge of the Sith). Obviously the entire FOX catalog isn't going to come to Disney+, at least not any time soon -- but there's plenty of other movies not currently on there that very much could be added given what's already been put on it. The vast majority of Emily's list would be right at home among what's on the service already, basically.

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Not our fault you started with the first part of your post. It was just plain wrong.

Why would you think anything rated higher than G would go to Disney+? It's like you don't know the company that you're dealing with...you think films like M*A*S*H and Walk the Line are going to be on D+?

Coyote Zamora

alt account
Banned
Jul 19, 2019
User Banned (1 Day): Hostility over a series of posts
You're the one who jumped straight to condescending asshole with the spectacularly unforced "there will never be anything over G" face plant my bro. You're just digging deeper.
Oh! My feelings are so wounded... What will I do now that I'm ridiculed on this oh so tiny part of the internet!

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Oh! My feelings are so wounded... What will I do now that I'm ridiculed on this oh so tiny part of the internet!
I don't know why you're acting so weird. People were calling you out because you said nothing over G would be on Disney+ and then kept shifting the goalposts as you went along.

If the movies are PG-13 and under, there's a chance they can be on Disney+. It's as simple as that, because there are already PG-13 movies on Disney+ and there are pretty strict confines of mature content in a PG-13 movie.

Coyote Zamora

alt account
Banned
Jul 19, 2019
I don't know why you're acting so weird. People were calling you out because you said nothing over G would be on Disney+ and then kept shifting the goalposts as you went along.

If the movies are PG-13 and under, there's a chance they can be on Disney+. It's as simple as that, because there are already PG-13 movies on Disney+ and there are pretty strict confines of mature content in a PG-13 movie.
I also said nothing with sexual content, true violence or adult themes would go there and would instead go to Hulu just add Disney themselves had stated. But you are right I did fail to account for pedants and those looking for internet " wins" that would not see my meaning. Anyway, in fine with it I've said my order I'll let the "winners" enjoy whatever they won.

Deleted member 33

Banned
Oct 24, 2017

Yup. Plus, the MPAA has/had a rule where PG-13 films aren't allowed to (explicity) say the F word more than once. If you say the F-word more than once, your film will most likely get an R-rating. I don't know if that rule has changed much over the years.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I also said nothing with sexual content, true violence or adult themes would go there and would instead go to Hulu just add Disney themselves had stated. But you are right I did fail to account for pedants and those looking for internet " wins" that would not see my meaning. Anyway, in fine with it I've said my order I'll let the "winners" enjoy whatever they won.
Avatar qualifies for all 3 of those (ignoring what "true violence" might even mean, but it does about what a PG-13 rated film can with violence... aside from the dismemberment featured in the Star Wars films). And Avatar is on Disney+.

Also, most of Emily's list didn't even qualify for any of those 3. So what exactly are you responding to in the first place? The only point is that there could be a lot more "Fox" movies on the service than there currently are. We all know the entire catalog is not going to go on D+ due to many being R rated.

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Avatar qualifies for all 3 of those (ignoring what "true violence" might even mean, but it does about what a PG-13 rated film can with violence... aside from the dismemberment featured in the Star Wars films). And Avatar is on Disney+.

Also, most of Emily's list didn't even qualify for any of those 3. So what exactly are you responding to in the first place? The only point is that there could be a lot more "Fox" movies on the service than there currently are. We all know the entire catalog is not going to go on D+ due to many being R rated.
Hey internet nerd, just take your win instead of dunking on them. lol

Jul 4, 2018
Remember the opening scene of Pirates of the Carribean 3 where a bunch of people are hung -- including a kid? That sure was wholesome entertainment for the family! ;-)

Another great example and actually all the better as it's one from before they purchased the MCU or Lucasfilm, which kind of changed the definition of a Walt Disney Studio release. Disney has been veering into PG-13 materiel for quite some time and the Pirates franchise is probably the clearest example of a early success with that endeavour. As an aside can't wait to re-watch the original 3 pirates films again, haven't seen them in quite a few years and really looking forward to seeing how they hold up in 4K.

Mar 26, 2018
I already have Hulu and what they list doesn't make sense to me. They say you can get Disney Hulu and ESPN for 1299 but then they say if you already have Hulu you will pay Hulu plus get a credit of 5.99 on Disney that lists at 1299 or 1199. It looks like it rips you off or what is going on?

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
I wish they would include a Disney Afternoon feature that automatically plays an episode of DuckTales, TaleSpin, Darkwing Duck, and Goof Troop. That would be amazing.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I already have Hulu and what they list doesn't make sense to me. They say you can get Disney Hulu and ESPN for 1299 but then they say if you already have Hulu you will pay Hulu plus get a credit of 5.99 on Disney that lists at 1299 or 1199. It looks like it rips you off or what is going on?

You pay 12.99 for Disney plus, Hulu with ads and espn+

For Hulu ad free it's 18.99$

Essentially in any situation you are getting espn+ for free. If you don't care for espn, then the bundle really isn't worth it

Oct 29, 2017
I want to give thanks to the people who have suggested Gargoyles.

There's this episode on season 2 where an elf comes out of a mirror that looks fucking incredible. Some of the best animation I have seen on a cartoon for TV.

OP
OP
Spectromixer

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The Grapes of Wrath (1940) - Nominated for the Academy Award for Best Picture
How Green Was My Valley (1941) - Winner of the Academy Award for Best Picture (It beat Citizen Kane)
The Song of Bernadette (1943) - Nominated for the Academy Award for Best Picture
All About Eve (1950) - Winner of the Academy Award for Best Picture
The King and I (1956) - Nominated for the Academy Award for Best Picture
The Diary of Anne Frank (1959) - Nominated for the Academy Award for Best Picture
Cleopatra (1963) - Nominated for the Academy Award for Best Picture
How to Steal a Million (1966)
Planet of the Apes (1968)
Hello, Dolly! (1969)
M*A*S*H (1970)
Young Frankenstein (1974)
Norma Rae (1979)
The Gods Must Be Crazy (1980)
FernGully: The Last Rainforest (1992)
Mrs. Doubtfire (1993)
The Pagemaster (1994)
Independence Day (1996)
Jingle All the Way (1996)
Anastasia (1997)
Titanic (1997) - Winner of the Academy Award for Best Picture (Co-distribution with Paramount)
Titan A.E. (2000)
Digimon: The Movie (2000)
X-Men (2000)
Planet of the Apes - Tim Burton film (2001)
Ice Age (2002)
Antwone Fisher (2003)
I, Robot (2004)
X-Men 2 (2003)
Walk the Line (2005)
Robots (2005) - Blue Sky animation
The Devil Wears Prada (2006)
Night at the Museum (2006)
Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium (2007)
Juno (2007) - Fox Searchlight
Dr. Seuss Horton Hears a Who! (2008)
Jumper (2008)
Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009)
Rio (2011)
Mr. Popper's Penguins (2011)
Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011)
X-Men: First Class (2011)
Life of Pi (2012)
Lincoln (2012) - Distributed by both Disney and Fox. Rated PG-13.
Chronicle (2012)
Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters (2013)
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (2013)
The Book Thief (2013)
Walking with Dinosaurs (2013)
The Wolverine (2013)
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014)
X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014)
The Book of Life (2014)
The Maze Runner (2014)
The Fault in Our Stars (2014)
Paper Towns (2015)
The Peanuts Movie (2015)
The Martian (2015)
Me and Earl and the Dying Girl (2015) - Fox Searchlight
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (2016)
War for the Planet of the Apes (2017)
The Greatest Showman (2017)
Ferdinand (2017)
Alita Battle Angel (2019)
Ford v Ferrari (2019)

So many films on from the Fox catalog they can put up on the service. Also, we already know they will be mining those properties for original content. I believe a Planet of the Apes series was rumored.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Always fun to see some of the random movies inspired by rides especially some less successful ones, had almost forgotten about country bears

Apr 11, 2018
Sweden
The only thing that would made D+ better is if they merged it with Hulu lol, imagine having all of D+ current content, the entire Fox Librsry eventually and the Hulu originals like Handmaids Tale etc.

Would be dope as hell. Anyway, can't wait for it to launch in Sweden, still haven't figures out if I can go "around" and watch it before it launches here

j_rocca42

Oct 25, 2017
PNW
They need to fine tune the app. A section for recently watch stuff is very much needed. Also an option to restart a show or movie from the beginning. Just some quality of life stuff. My family is using the hell outta the service though.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Of course fox stuff will come, they need to keep content coming in for the next year while they wait for the major original content to come, same reason there's some obvious Disney stuff missing
They need to fine tune the app. A section for recently watch stuff is very much needed. Also an option to restart a show or movie from the beginning. Just some quality of life stuff. My family is using the hell outta the service though.
They had recently watched at launch but it got screwed up by heavy server loads and they haven't brought it back. Seems they are still compensating for heavy load, I imagine the first obvious improvements will be a publicized update in a month or less

j_rocca42

Oct 25, 2017
PNW
Of course fox stuff will come, they need to keep content coming in for the next year while they wait for the major original content to come, same reason there's some obvious Disney stuff missing

They had recently watched at launch but it got screwed up by heavy server loads and they haven't brought it back. Seems they are still compensating for heavy load, I imagine the first obvious improvements will be a publicized update in a month or less
Good to know.

Skyejack

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2019
I'm kinda glad the service is still unavailable in my country. Hope most of the bugs listed in this thread will get fixed by then. Really excited to watch some of the older Disney content!
It's terrible right now, but I'm assuming when millions of people drop the service after the free trial, it'll give Disney some much needed time to fix the problems. We've gone nearly a week now without a continue-watching section. That's just awful on their part. I haven't been able to reliably watch on PS4 despite them "fixing" the app numerous times. I can't reliably delete shows from my Watch list on Apple TV (adding a show and deleting a show are both represented by the plus sign for some reason). Combined with the lack of interesting new content at launch and the foreseeable future, I can't help but laugh hysterically at anyone who suggested this was a threat to Netflix. They have, however, made me really appreciate their Hulu platform. If they can make D+ run as smoothly as Hulu does, I'll be back.

Ramsiege

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know why Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers is in HD but Darkwing Duck and OG DuckTales are not?

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
It's terrible right now, but I'm assuming when millions of people drop the service after the free trial, it'll give Disney some much needed time to fix the problems. We've gone nearly a week now without a continue-watching section. That's just awful on their part. I haven't been able to reliably watch on PS4 despite them "fixing" the app numerous times. I can't reliably delete shows from my Watch list on Apple TV (adding a show and deleting a show are both represented by the plus sign for some reason). Combined with the lack of interesting new content at launch and the foreseeable future, I can't help but laugh hysterically at anyone who suggested this was a threat to Netflix. They have, however, made me really appreciate their Hulu platform. If they can make D+ run as smoothly as Hulu does, I'll be back.

i use Apple's TV app, which thankfully adds important features like "continue watching" to this

but big question: how does people letting their subs lapse allow for more development time? i'm a tech lead for a big team of devs (in a different industry) and am having a hard time following your logic

Skyejack

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
i use Apple's TV app, which thankfully adds important features like "continue watching" to this

but big question: how does people letting their subs lapse allow for more development time? i'm a tech lead for a big team of devs (in a different industry) and am having a hard time following your logic
The assumption is they removed Continue Watching because their servers can't handle the load. Fewer users will give them a chance to add that back (hopefully) for the people who do remain and then also give them time to scale their service better so that a large influx of users won't necessitate the removal of important features.

The impression any service entering the market now gives by not having a Continue Watching section is that it's amateur hour. They don't need to be giving off that impression.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Is anyone else having problems with Dolby vision on Xbox one x?

I would always get "something went wrong try again later" whenever trying to play things in Dolby.

I have since disabled it and am watching content in HDR10 just fine, but I'm not sure what the issue is. My guess is it's because I'm in the advanced alpha wave of the preview program?

Skyejack

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Is anyone else having problems with Dolby vision on Xbox one x?

I would always get "something went wrong try again later" whenever trying to play things in Dolby.

I have since disabled it and am watching content in HDR10 just fine, but I'm not sure what the issue is. My guess is it's because I'm in the advanced alpha wave of the preview program?
On Xbox One does the content at least play reliably? On PS4 Pro I can't seem to get it to stream above SD quality, and even then it more often than not stops streaming the video but continues playing the audio.

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
As much as I'm enjoying some of the shows, I think I might cancel my sub until I hear they've worked out Some of their issues (and fixed Simpsons). It's just too unreliable at the moment and I shouldn't have to hope for a good day to stream content in 4K hdr. That stuff should just work...

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
On Xbox One does the content at least play reliably? On PS4 Pro I can't seem to get it to stream above SD quality, and even then it more often than not stops streaming the video but continues playing the audio.

xbox seems fine. I also have a ps4 pro and I noticed video will freeze within the first 30 seconds while audio continues and then eventually it will skip back to where it froze and play normally from there on out. This also happens on my standard ps4 as well.

I assume it has something to do with the app not choosing the proper quality of stream and the switch between transcodes isn't as seamless as Netflix' implementation.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
The assumption is they removed Continue Watching because their servers can't handle the load. Fewer users will give them a chance to add that back (hopefully) for the people who do remain and then also give them time to scale their service better so that a large influx of users won't necessitate the removal of important features.

The impression any service entering the market now gives by not having a Continue Watching section is that it's amateur hour. They don't need to be giving off that impression.

They had the feature and then removed it? Must have happened so fast I didn't even see it

Status
Not open for further replies.