• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
It's important to note you're only getting ESPN+, not full ESPN. Any games/programs broadcast live on ESPN/ESPN2 are not accessible unless you have a cable subscription.

That is absolutely true, its not a replacement, but if you are a big soccer fan, or are okay with some random MLB/NHL/College games its perfect.

It also gives you access to original programming, and all of the 30 for 30.

ESPN+ includes a bevy of exclusive video content from live games to on-demand shows and exclusive stories. Unfortunately, the live games come with commercials — just like regular TV.

Subscribers can watch live games from the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, and MLS. There's also PGA golf, UFC, college football, international soccer, and tennis. And if you're a fan of UFC or boxing, ESPN+ will often have exclusive matches at discounted prices so you'll get even more value from the service.

There are also original shows exclusive to ESPN+ like in-depth game recaps and analyses hosted by Peyton Manning, Kobe Bryant, and Daniel Cormier, and a shorter version of "NFL Primetime." Original shows and documentaries like "30 for 30" as well as full replays of historic NFL games are also available to stream on-demand.

It also picked up the rights for all of the Bundesliga:

The dust had just settled from Bayern Munich's 7-2 thumping of Tottenham when ESPN made arguably its biggest ESPN+ announcement to date. Starting with the 2020 season, ESPN+ will be the home of the Bundesliga in the US and fans will be able to stream every regular season match, plus the DFL Supercup, relegation playoffs and more. The standalone streaming service already offered a lot of soccer, now it's quickly becoming the best option for following the sport. And it still, miraculously, only costs $5 a month.

In terms of soccer, ESPN+ was already home to a large slate of MLS games that aren't shown on ESPN/ESPN2 or Fox/FS1. The service also has some or all rights to Serie A (Italian league), the EFL Championship (English second division), Liga MX (Mexico), Superliga (Denmark), Eredivisie (Netherlands) and Allsvenskan (Sweden) matches. Even if every game from a league isn't in the app, that's still a metric ton of soccer to choose from each week, and well worth the asking price.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Fam has verizon unlimited so I checked with my parents about using the free year offer and they said sure. Got profiles set up for me, them, and my sis. Easy enough. Watching ANH now. Wow. My 900e doesnt do atmos but the 5.1 plus track sounds great.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Disney+ is evil I tell you.

fJaIJLpl.jpg

yfu3H4ql.jpg

It outgrossed Justice League if you factor for inflation

FunMouse

Apr 30, 2018
Force quit the app (hold back button several seconds), and try again. Was pleasently surprised to see the app on my KS8000 menu.

Working well, slightly laggy UI but 4K HDR looking good.

Didn't work sadly. However I have good news! When the movie or show starts playing, if I hit the exit button and then cancel, the image shows up! :] that will do for now haha.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just saw about Simpsons

After that snooze-fest Mandalorian I think I'm cancelling after the free trial. I'll get what i can between now and then.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Bear in the Blue House needs to be on here :(

Are they putting any Playhouse Disney on here eventually?

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
I was happy to see that the Canadian content library is pretty much the same as the US one. Thought we were gonna have another situation like Netflix Canada (the way it was back at launch, not now).

Sounds like 4K/HDR looks good? So amped to get home and watch some stuff in that format. Wonder if playback will be better on the native Samsung TV app, our Amazon Fire Stick 4K app, or (if it exists) a PS4 app...

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
WTF, this makes absolutely no sense to me. I'm finally able to login to Disney+ and browse stuff.

I see that National Treasure is not available for viewing until 2020 but National Treasure 2 IS available for viewing on Disney+, WTF Disney???

Canada has both! I've been meaning to watch them again for years. Just tried the first one and it plays.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like there might be issue with the order of Simpsons episodes. Looking at it now and looks like at the least season 13 has some stuff mixed up

Johro

Nov 12, 2019
The World According To Jeff Goldblum is something I didn't know I needed in my life, but I found it highly entertaining... If you like his quirks, it's full of it so far.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Okay, signed up and tried it out for a few minutes before work this morning.

Sorry if this is treading over old ground, but I'm not about to go through nearly 50 pages.

-The first thing I noticed was Take 2 with Phineas and Ferb and I thought I'd see what episodes it had. Wouldn't let me, got an error message saying it's not available. Is this the same for anyone else?

-Seeing Phineas and Ferb proper next to it, I thought I'd see if they included the iTunes extras and at first, it didn't show the episodes at all just Description and Cast and "Play S1E1" which was NOT the first episode. I played an episode and when I backed out THEN I saw the episodes and saw episode 1 is like halfway through Season 1. I think a couple episodes were shown before the actual premiere but not like this. After that, I noticed, any show I browsed would show episodes.

-Lots of blank windows, I'm sure I'm not the only one seeing this.

-They have the Mickey's Symphony short in HD (looks nice imo) and they actually included an offensive content disclaimer! Maybe SotS might actually be included someday!

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
For a family oriented service, the UI is not designed or tested by people with kids. YouTube Kids is a much better interface for kids usability and navigation; they're more likely to close this app by pressing the device home button rather than navigating to home on the app. They need a different button layout/configuration for kids version. Even Netflix does it better.

PolishQ

Oct 27, 2017
Rochester, NY
I tried my PS4Pro for HDR10 but I think it only supports DV as going through details it only says DV icon.
On my Nvidia Shield it says both HDR10 and DV but I cannot get HDR to work for me on my shield.

Any ideas? I'm in Canada. Plex and Netflix 4K HDR10 work. I got a Sony900E XBR.
As far as I can tell, 4K/HDR/DV is not supported on PS4 Pro. If it was supported, you'd see the relevant info above the play button on the movie/show page (not just in the Details tab). If there's a Disney+ app available for your TV, try that instead.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Goddamn my Sharp Roku better get this fucking app. I need that 4K Star Wars.

if not, would Xbox One slim still do video in 4K, despite not being able to render games in 4K?

Shang

Oct 27, 2017
Bummed to hear about the Simpsons crop - i was preparing to get rid of my dvds to cut down on clutter at home.
Seasons 3's "Stark Raving Dad" is currently banned from airing in the future, so you may want to hold on to those S3 DVDs at least. Also keep in mind that these "HD" versions are holdovers from the FXX days, and I've never been a fan of whatever HD filter they used. Colors look oversaturated and lines can look too dark and thick. I really wish they would go the WB route and actually go back and rescan everything instead of using a gross filter and calling it a day.

zou

Oct 29, 2017
There was word they were going to offer them prior to launch, though I don't recall the validity of the individual. Could be they wanted to prioritize getting the service up across the board over tuning an aspect ratio option/alternative season listings.
In any case, hopefully they consider adding them and informing their audience soon, given how big of a deal was made for that show being on the service.

Hopefully as a separate listing or using a global switch. not going to bother if I have to change it for each episode.

Paper Wario

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
That is absolutely true, its not a replacement, but if you are a big soccer fan, or are okay with some random MLB/NHL/College games its perfect.

It also gives you access to original programming, and all of the 30 for 30.

It also picked up the rights for all of the Bundesliga:

I've mostly used it for Serie A since last year and it's been great.

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's a 2019 interview of Simpsons' Al Jean where he stated he believed that Michael Jackson used the episode "Stark Raving Dad" for grooming children:

The very first episode of Season 3, "Stark Raving Dad," featuring the voice of Michael Jackson made some news recently when it was revealed that you decided to remove the episode after watching the Jackson documentary Leaving Neverland. That must have been a difficult decision for you, seeing as you wrote it and it was your first episode at the reins.

Yes. It wasn't something that makes me happy. It's something I agree with completely. What saddens me is, if you watch that documentary—which I did, and several of us here did—and you watch that episode, honestly, it looks like the episode was used by Michael Jackson for something other than what we'd intended it. It wasn't just a comedy to him, it was something that was used as a tool. And I strongly believe that. That, to me, is my belief, and it's why I think removing it is appropriate. I lose a little bit of money financially, it's not something that's great personally to lose one of the most successful things I ever did, but I totally think it's the right move. I don't believe in going through and making judgments on every guest star and saying "this one was bad, that one was bad," but the episode itself has a false purpose, and that's what I object to about it now.

And the false purpose was what?

I think it was part of what he used to groom boys. I really don't know, and I should be very careful because this is not something I know personally, but as far as what I think, that's what I think. And that makes me very, very sad.

Did Michael Jackson write the song that he and Bart sing to Lisa to cheer her up, and that includes Michael's character singing, "And your first kiss from a boy…"

He did. But I'd really not talk about it anymore because I don't want to belabor it. It's from the heart, on our part, and I think Jim [Brooks] put it really well. It's not for any other reason that for what I just said, where if you watch the documentary and then you watch that episode, something's amiss.

Dusktildawn48

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
St. Louis
I'm still confused how people are getting HDR to work. My Samsung TV doesn't do HDR on the app. PS4 pro apparently doesn't support HDR. And my Xbox One X doesn't have the app yet?

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone else having trouble chromecasting on iOS?
I was gonna call tech support, but figured that they would be swamped.. this being the first day and all.
Was able to Chromecast from iPhone Disney+ app to Gen 1 ChromeCast. It lagged getting started, and I had to disconnect and reinitiate the connection, but it went through. This was last night though, don't know about now, sounds like its getting hammered

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Verge has contacted Disney regarding The Simpsons classic episodes on Disney+:

Fans and critics hailed FXX for giving subscribers more technological freedom. Many assumed the same setup would apply to Disney+ following the company's announcement that all 30 seasons would live exclusively on Disney's streaming service. That's not the case. Twitter is full of complaints about Disney not offering an option to stream the episodes in 4:3, with some calling it a step down from FXX and Simpsons World. Even Simpsons writer Bill Oakley tweeted his disappointment with the setup.

Disney hasn't suggested via social media if changes are coming to the platform to address subscribers' concerns. The Verge has reached out to Disney for comment and will update when more information becomes available.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Told my mom about 4k star wars and she's now incredibly interested in the app lol. Probably need to make a guide for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.