• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Between this after claiming that the original aspect ratio would be maintained and the Star Wars 2019 Special Edition changes, 90% of my interest in the service has waned immediately. I only have my 90s DCOMs and The Mandalorian keeping me from unsubscribing right now.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Between this after claiming that the original aspect ratio would be maintained and the Star Wars 2019 Special Edition changes, 90% of my interest in the service has waned immediately. I only have my 90s DCOMs and The Mandalorian keeping me from unsubscribing right now.

I'm hoping Disney replaces the episodes with the uncropped versions.

Coolduderedux

Oct 25, 2017
Man i totally screwed up signing in. I used the wrong email (still one I own) for the account and everytime I try to change it, I get an error while receiving an email saying that a change was made to the account when it wasn't.

I guess i'll wait a few days before trying to change the email again.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017

90% of your interest in Disney+ waned because for less than a second there's a new shot of Greedo before he shots?

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
My wife and kids have been watching stuff all day while they're all home sick and everything has worked well. Apple 4KTV here.

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
90% of your interest in Disney+ waned because for less than a second there's a new shot of Greedo before he shots?
More specifically, the only legitimate 4K masters of Star Wars contain even more pointless changes that only muddle the original artistic intent and The Simpsons is cropped despite Disney explicitly stating that the entire show would be presented in its original aspect ratio. Those are kind of important details when you aren't being reductive or dismissive about them.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The 4K streams I have tested have all looked great.

Moana especially.

No lies detected about Moana. Looks great in Dolby Vision. The contrast between the dark scenes and the torches at 28:00 are an especially good showcase of the quality and tech.

Frozen is decent but not quite as good in the Dolby Vision / HDR department comparing a somewhat similar light contrast at 1:15:00 - so there's some inconsistency compared to the Apple TV+ gold standard quality across its titles.

However, comparing HDR consistency to Apple TV+ is not really fair in any way to Disney+ considering the sheer difference in volume and back catalog. Apple TV+ is a comparatively tiny assortment that must be way more realistic to enforce DV/HDR quality control.

The good news is that Disney+ shows us it's capable of living up to that standard with future new content.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Someone please tell me I'm overlooking something and there is a random episode setting. I just want to watch random selections of The Simpsons right now.

Oct 25, 2017
Just a random thought. I wonder if D+ will do like Netflix does with some of their originals and put something like the Mandalorian on Blu Ray in the future

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Clone Wars question. Watch the Clone Wars animated movie before starting the series?

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
More specifically, the only legitimate 4K masters of Star Wars contain even more pointless changes that only muddle the original artistic intent and The Simpsons is cropped despite Disney explicitly stating that the entire show would be presented in its original aspect ratio. Those are kind of important details when you aren't being reductive or dismissive about them.
But the change already happens in the 90s, this is just a slightly better edit of that change. Is your issue that you thought you were going to get a 4k despecialized version? Because that was never going to happen.

I just don't see why you're taking such issues with something that has been essentially the same way since 1997.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
How they do seasons is weird. I looked at the new DuckTales and if I wasn't already caught up I wouldn't know where to start.

Vic2003

Dec 8, 2017
Took advantage of the bundle and tried Hulu for the first time. My first impression is wow the package with ads is pretty bad. It feels like you watch ads every five minutes which is worse than regular TV. Doesn't feel right for something you pay for. Ugh disappointed.

Last edited:

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It seems like a fool's errand to expect Disney to release a version of the original trilogy that will 100% satisfy its most hardcore fans

PolishQ

Oct 27, 2017
Rochester, NY
Anybody able to view 4k/Dolby Vision content through the PS4 app? I'm on a PS4 Pro but getting the regular stream for Mandalorian. It works if I watch through my TV's app, strangely enough. Is there a setting somewhere or just the app acting up?

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Took advantage of the bundle and tried Hulu for the first time. My first impression is wow the package with ads is pretty bad. It feels like you watch ads every five minutes which is worse than regular TV. Doesn't feel right for something you pay for.

Paid Hulu with ads is complete shit to me, immediately unsubscribed and subscribed to the no ads Hulu plan.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
WTF.... What title is that?

National Treasure.

So people know when they search for it. They have that for a lot of titles.

I assume to add to playlists so you know when it is available.

Yeah, but nothing stands out from it to tell you that until you click on it. Like I said, if there was a big "COMING SOON" on the thumbnail or something, then you can still add it to queue, but also know that you can't yet watch it. On Hulu, you can add stuff early, but the thumbnail is blank. On Netflix, you can add it, but it won't show up ON your queue until it's available.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
But the change already happens in the 90s, this is just a slightly better edit of that change. Is your issue that you thought you were going to get a 4k despecialized version? Because that was never going to happen.

I just don't see why you're taking such issues with something that has been essentially the same way since 1997.
I never believed that the theatrical versions would be presented, it's the fact that there are more changes on top of the three major (and several minor) iterations. We haven't settled on a single version of these terrible SE changes yet and now that the OT is available in 4K for the first time, Lucas had to step in and slide in a few more things before he hit the road. It's just absurd and continues the insane practice of altering the films for no other reason than "fuck you, I can." If it really helps to understand my outrage, just consider it the principle of the thing rather than an issue with the specific changes. (Though the Maclunky shit really is just outright terrible.)

Last edited:

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
The Mandalorian justifies my $70 subscription already, hooooooooo mama!

JimJamJones

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just watched the Kamp Krusty episode of the Simpsons and I definitely noticed stretching. It was pretty bad at the Wimbledon scene.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Damn looks like there won't be a Disney+ app for the old Apple TV I have. I think it's 3rd gen. Dammit I don't wanna upgrade for that. Kinda sucks they won't because Apple themselves just updated for Apple TV. Maybe it's coming late?

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Why is it so fucking stupidly hard to be able to get a US iTunes gift card outside of the US? Seriously that's juste pure bullshit.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Damn looks like there won't be a Disney+ app for the old Apple TV I have. I think it's 3rd gen. Dammit I don't wanna upgrade for that. Kinda sucks they won't because Apple themselves just updated for Apple TV. Maybe it's coming late?

Pre-tvOS ATV has been dead for a long time. Pretty sure third parties don't get to make new apps for it.

Nov 30, 2018
WTF, this makes absolutely no sense to me. I'm finally able to login to Disney+ and browse stuff.

I see that National Treasure is not available for viewing until 2020 but National Treasure 2 IS available for viewing on Disney+, WTF Disney???

I wanted to rewatch Tomorrowland (I liked it, assholes) then I was met with the fact that it's coming in 2021.

Bend

Oct 27, 2017
I got the Verizon email and went through on my phone, I really can't find any confirmation it worked though. The account settings don't show very much and I had already logged in with the free 7 day trial. I guess we'll see then

Edit. Found it through the website once it finally loaded. Looks like it shows up there with any other subscription services. All good!

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone can cancel their subscriptions.

Muppet Christmas Carol is the one with "When Love Is Gone" edited out.

Status
Not open for further replies.