• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
The thing I'm most curious about this show is the tone. It's easy to imagine a western vibe to it, but at the same time they don't want to veer too close to the tone of The Mandalorian because they want to have their own distinct personality too. So it'll be interesting to see how they go about it.

I imagine Mando's 3rd season will be a departure from that genre anyway because of the interesting narrative routes opened up to it now that the original Lone Wolf & Cub structure of the show is over.

Interesting times for Star Wars.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
Although it should have been obvious, for some reason it never occured to me they'd bring Joel Edgerton in. Glad they have

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Obi-Wan Kenobi |OT| Benny Safdie is in this

A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one.

Really looking forward to this, casting seems on point

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA
The thing I'm most curious about this show is the tone. It's easy to imagine a western vibe to it, but at the same time they don't want to veer too close to the tone of The Mandalorian because they want to have their own distinct personality too. So it'll be interesting to see how they go about it.

I imagine Mando's 3rd season will be a departure from that genre anyway because of the interesting narrative routes opened up to it now that the original Lone Wolf & Cub structure of the show is over.

Interesting times for Star Wars.
I imagine this would lean a lot more towards the Jedi/spiritual/mystic Far East side of the OT.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
the cast is great but I am not sure what kind of interesting stories they can up with with Obi Wan hiding on Tattooine, I am very interested to see where this is going, though. Also who is playing Luke? Weird he is not in the cast.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Yes, now this is what I wanted. I hope Dave Filoni has some hand in it. Maybe even bounce off some ideas with George Lucas and Jon Favreau. They are the Star Wars experts.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
Hayden will always be a terrible Anakin and Vader, but I'm looking forward to see Ewan aged up to further resemble Alec Guinness.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
the cast is great but I am not sure what kind of interesting stories they can up with with Obi Wan hiding on Tattooine, I am very interested to see where this is going, though. Also who is playing Luke? Weird he is not in the cast.

In my headcanon for years was the idea that Kenobi spots Luke's family in trouble with Hutt gangsters and is forced to intervene (without Uncle Owen knowing) and to pay off Owen's debt Kenobi does jobs for Jabba. So we see Kenobi be forced to do shitty things for a noble cause and how he walks the line between the light and dark side to hold onto his soul.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow

GREAT cast!

Great for continuity too!

image-asset.jpeg
George's casting continues to neatly line up with Starwars today. Was awesome to see actors for Jango, Bail Organa reprise their roles in Disney's previous work.

+100 for Hayden. Still a bit too young for Vadar but I do like the lineage continue.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
George's casting continues to neatly line up with Starwars today. Was awesome to see actors for Jango, Bail Organa reprise their roles in Disney's previous work.

+100 for Hayden. Still a bit too young for Vadar but I do like the lineage continue.

I think he's actually older than Vader was during the course of this new series.

Vader is in his early/mid 30's in this new series and Hayden is 39.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
The future of star wars is hella unexciting to me at this point but definitely in for this. The Ewan/Hayden reunion alone has roped me in. The cast in here as well is pretty cool

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
Hayden has solid acting chops. The issues with the character are entirely in the dialog Lucas wrote and the way he directs actors.

Ehh, I keep seeing this take increasingly often these days but I was there in 2002 and 2005. Some people are just not very strong actors, on top of being supplied with awful dialogue and direction. You'd think Portman was a terrible actress based on the prequels, but she's obviously not if you watch other films. I've seen Hayden's other roles that people point to and his performances are nothing special. The truth is he was miscast as Anakin, just like many actors are miscast in hundreds of films that are made each year. The difference here is Star Wars is a juggernaut and a lot of people grew up with his Anakin and the prequels, so they are nostalgic for his character.

Still, based on all the interviews I've seen, Hayden is an absolute stand up guy and didn't deserve the pure venom he received back in the day. I personally feel happy for him that he's been asked back and will be watching the show, but at the same time I can't pretend that I'm thrilled to see the character return. I am intrigued to see how his performance differs from the prequels with better dialogue and direction, though.

ThatThomas

Sep 3, 2018

Obi-Wan isn't stranded on Tatooine. He can leave, and I hope he does. A full series on Tatooine wouldn't be great, As long as him leaving is part of his greater mission of protecting Luke and maintaining the secret of the twins' existence, there's no reason he shouldn't be able to go off on an adventure or two on other planets.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
luckily jedi and moisture farmers dress exactly the same so that shouldn't be much of a problem for hiding

Obi Wan Jabroni

alt account
Banned
Dec 14, 2020
Ehh, I keep seeing this take increasingly often these days but I was there in 2002 and 2005. Some people are just not very strong actors, on top of being supplied with awful dialogue and direction. You'd think Portman was a terrible actress based on the prequels, but she's obviously not if you watch other films. I've seen Hayden's other roles that people point to and his performances are nothing special. The truth is he was miscast as Anakin, just like many actors are miscast in hundreds of films that are made each year. The difference here is Star Wars is a juggernaut and a lot of people grew up with his Anakin and the prequels, so they are nostalgic for his character.

Still, based on all the interviews I've seen, Hayden is an absolute stand up guy and didn't deserve the pure venom he received back in the day. I personally feel happy for him that he's been asked back and will be watching the show, but at the same time I can't pretend that I'm thrilled to see the character return. I am intrigued to see how his performance differs from the prequels with better dialogue and direction, though.

I thought he was great in Jumper (underrated little flick in my opinion) and I thought he was fantastic in Broken Glass. We could debate endlessly if there were better casting choices but I think he's a decent actor.

He's no Adam Driver or Ewan but I've seen enough of his work to know he had more to offer than what he delivered in the prequels. Lucas is so demonstrably terrible at directing actors he should have hired a second director to handle the dialog-centric stuff because somehow, Lucas actually got WORSE over the years.

As to the character returning, he'll be in the suit so I'm wondering how much acting he'll actually be doing. Maybe some shots of him in his chamber outside the suit? Or with his helmet off?

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
I just think its interesting that they actually brought back Hayden Christensen to play Vader.

I mean, he's in the suit, you can't see him so its not like you couldn't, you know, put pretty much anybody in the costume, and hire James Earl Jones (or a sound-alike, who frankly, could probably do a better Vader these days) to do the voice.

So either there are burnt face maskless scenes, or we are getting flashbacks (more live action stuff set in clone wars era... cool!)

That said, either way, can't wait!

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Actually surprised, and relieved that they kept McGregor. At least now he will likely be able to act out his character, unless they want to rehash all of the wooden portrayals in the prequels "for consistency".

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Surprised they cast Bonnie Piesse. She was in that sex cult, although she was more of a victim and left when Allison Mack tried to get her to be branded and perform sexual acts. Highly recommend the HBO documentary about that cult. In the doc, I think she said she was done acting and wanted to focus on music.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Actually surprised, and relieved that they kept McGregor. At least now he will likely be able to act out his character, unless they want to rehash all of the wooden portrayals in the prequels "for consistency".

Speaking of consistency, I recently watched ANH for the first time in several years, and found it amusing how parts of the story just don't work if you keep the prequels in mind.

"He has too much of his father in him" Aunt Beru says with a smile on her witless face. As if she's talking about a friend of the family. The scene is salvaged by Owen's "That's what I'm afraid of", and so I have to believe Beru is going senile.

Kenobi tells Luke "Your uncle didn't agree with your father's ideals".

Ideals? What ideals? Owen knew Anakin for a day. And in that time Anakin just slaughtered Tusken Raiders for murdering Owen's mum in law. Those ideals?

I know the retort will be "Kenobi's lying" but c'mon lol...

These movies are a source of great unintentional amusement at times. I think however the show handles it, Owen should remain a grumpy asshole, I'm sure Edgerton would appreciate it as an actor.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Speaking of consistency, I recently watched ANH for the first time in several years, and found it amusing how parts of the story just don't work if you keep the prequels in mind.

"He has too much of his father in him" Aunt Beru says with a smile on her witless face. As if she's talking about a friend of the family. The scene is salvaged by Owen's "That's what I'm afraid of", and so I have to believe Beru is going senile.

Kenobi tells Luke "Your uncle didn't agree with your father's ideals".

Ideals? What ideals? Owen knew Anakin for a day. And in that time Anakin just slaughtered Tusken Raiders for murdering Owen's mum in law. Those ideals?

I know the retort will be "Kenobi's lying" but c'mon lol...

These movies are a source of great unintentional amusement at times. I think however the show handles it, Owen should remain a grumpy asshole, I'm sure Edgerton would appreciate it as an actor.

You're assuming they hadn't learned lots later. Possibly untruths, stuff that Obi-wan has told them.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, now this is what I wanted. I hope Dave Filoni has some hand in it. Maybe even bounce off some ideas with George Lucas and Jon Favreau. They are the Star Wars experts.
Let Filoni do his thing in his Mandoverse, and let other creatives do their thing. This show is already a prequel, last thing we need is Filoni's lore heavy referencing on top of that.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland

Yeah I still lament those rumours that both Haley Joel Osment was up for young Anakin and Leo Dicaprio was considered for older Anakin. Imagine the KEY character of the prequels being played by these vastly superior actors. Even with George's pretty poor writing these characters, and their interactions with the other key cast members, would have elevated the films entirely.