• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

aliengmr

Oct 26, 2017
How can you justify that as a good excuse to give them a free pass for child sex rings. Anything short of a complete and utter shutdown is a slap on the wrist.

This issue is complex and needs to be addressed, but not at the expense of the honest, hardworking creators that have a hard enough time dealing with monetization as it is. Also "child sex rings" isn't what is happening here.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
How can you justify that as a good excuse to give them a free pass for child sex rings. Anything short of a complete and utter shutdown is a slap on the wrist.
Using that spurious logic, the entire internet needs to be shut down. Every form of open exchange has the potential to be abused by bad actors. The underlying issue here are the comments and recommendation algorithms, and they're not a necessity for the continuing existence of the site.

I think YouTube needs human curation in the loop, with a focus on quality over controversy. They could have been the next Netflix instead forcing a weird pile of video kipple on people and attaching a comment cesspool to it.

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't see why we really need to care about people's invented careers. "All the youtubers won't be able to support themselves youtubing!" ok, so what? What's even sillier is the whole using people's aspirations of a career to hold them hostage. This whole thing is manufactured, it only came into being about a decade ago and just because something has some value doesn't mean it justifies its existence.

TarNaru33

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still don't see why we really need to care about people's invented careers. "All the youtubers won't be able to support themselves youtubing!" ok, so what? What's even sillier is the whole using people's aspirations of a career to hold them hostage. This whole thing is manufactured, it only came into being about a decade ago and just because something has some value doesn't mean it justifies its existence.

Oh, please. Get a grip.

Lonewolf

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
A Youtuber I subscribed to just did a thing on him complaining about it. I feel for those who's livelihood is being a content creator on Youtube since they always seem to be getting shafted one way or another. But with this, there's videos of children being exploited on a platform as huge as Youtube. The guy could have gone through Youtube's internal reporting or whatever, but publicly announcing it and getting large corporations to pull their advertisements is escalating the issue for a fix. Had he gone another way, who knows if anything would have been done.

Thing is, as he even mentioned in the video, he wasn't the first to report on it, this has been a situation for awhile now with YT. It's just he brought it to more attention than it had before.

It's not, though. You get to talk to your fans when you make stuff, and share opinions on really underviewed content that you and a few other people love, and might never get to talk about otherwise.

I'd hate to lose all the good things comments can do... there's gotta be another way to do this, right? A smarter way? It's not all toxic bullshit or illegal activities.

Back when YT was new the comments section was useful and not such a cesspit. Nowadays, with so many other options like forums, Reddit, and discord available, YT comment section isn't nearly as useful. If I was a gaming youtuber, I'd rather have a thread here on ERA and interact with people here, than on YT, for example.

cabot

Oct 25, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Their reaction is pretty much what you'd expect.

If Google take responsibility for this, then they're essentially admitting they're a publisher, not a platform.

They do that and a shit ton of regulations are coming their way.

I'd argue that it's justified as Big Tech has had a lot of time to show they can self regulate, but fail repeatedly. From Google's perspective however, that's a massive problem so their only reaction is to push this to the creators.

JJAwiiu

Oct 27, 2017
Is this why I'm suddenly getting back-to-back ads? It's saying "skip ads" instead of "skip ad" and that's kinda shitty.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
Thing is, as he even mentioned in the video, he wasn't the first to report on it, this has been a situation for awhile now with YT. It's just he brought it to more attention than it had before.

Back when YT was new the comments section was useful and not such a cesspit. Nowadays, with so many other options like forums, Reddit, and discord available, YT comment section isn't nearly as useful. If I was a gaming youtuber, I'd rather have a thread here on ERA and interact with people here, than on YT, for example.

Splitting your audience around multiple platforms just to interact with them is a terrible way to build an audience if you are small.

You also have way more control over your own comment section than a forum on a separate platform where you might not even have moderation rights.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
Google has let so much shit slide that eventually it just added up into a pile they couldn't control. They need to do some intensive major actions to even begin to solve this problem.

Their solutions make no fucking sense, and are half-measures.

Mockerre

Story Director
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Except that's not what I'm saying. Spying, as I have stated, is already a problem. An ID tied to everything you do just makes it even easier. When you call for an ID you are effectively saying that spying is good and we need even more of it.

The alt right is big thanks to how society has allowed them to be tolerated openly, not due to anonymity. Otherwise they'd have never left 4chan. Anonymity only benefited them when their ideas were not seen as acceptable by the majority, but to really grow they needed to be where people are, like Facebook and Twitter, they need to be loud and open, unashamed of being seen as alt right.

I'm not defending big corporations collecting data, this is a problem that an ID system would only make even worse.

People are now starting to realize that this level of spying is unacceptable, and in the not too distant future we will see mass spying be undone through government regulation and consumer choice.

I never said anonymity created global connectivity, I'm saying centralization has hurt it.

If you want to combat the alt-right then you need to hold the platforms that host them accountable both legally and financially. Passing hate speech laws won't hurt either. Build a truely equal society instead of one full of inequality. Don't blame technology for the failure of individuals to use it properly.

Topical: https://www.resetera.com/threads/go...ror-in-not-disclosing-this-microphone.100897/

ID would not make spying easier, because it already is easy. It would make as accountable towards each other as individuals. And, to bring this back on topic, I was talking content creators. Let's say you create a harmful then you set it into the wild, anonymously. Anyone can share it and claim deniability. There are TROLL FARMS that exists solely to create fake news and memes to muddle the waters. When you buy a newspaper, you know who the publisher and author are. When you buy a candybar you know the manufacturer and the ingredients. You know what you are consuming and from whom. This does not eliminate all the problems. But it's better then the open seas of the Internet when anything goes. Where you can harrass someone or send death threats or create anti-vac propaganda anonymously.

As someone with 70k subs, and who has friends with over 1 million subs...

That's gonna get people killed.

Celebrities can afford to live on private estates with security, most youtubers can't.

A youtube video can go viral and get more views than a movie trailer... but the people in the video don't have that luxury.

And you want to give them our real names?

I mean, this is a problem any public figure has to deal with. It goes with the territory. It's not only celebrities, its local reporters, writers, public servants, anyone who is in the open.

If someone wants to doxx you, they will, you leave a digital fingerprint. What a digital ID would do, it would allow to identify the mob of hateful posters. Any I never said I want you to give your real name to the public, just as you don't wear your real ID on your forehead. But you need to made accountable when you do stupid, hateful, harmful stuff.

None here oppose the social media justice dished out to the degenerate among celebrities. But finding about this stuff would be a lot harder if those people weren't identifiable, if everybody would wear a mask so to speak.

Transparency more often leads to rising standards rather than some dystopian dictatorship. On the other hand, Internet anonymity and freedom hasn't stopped the rise of autoritharian governments and alt-right movements, on the contrary, it faciliates it.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
And, to bring this back on topic, I was talking content creators. Let's say you create a harmful then you set it into the wild, anonymously. Anyone can share it and claim deniability. There are TROLL FARMS that exists solely to create fake news and memes to muddle the waters. When you buy a newspaper, you know who the publisher and author are. When you buy a candybar you know the manufacturer and the ingredients. You know what you are consuming and from whom. This does not eliminate all the problems. But it's better then the open seas of the Internet when anything goes. Where you can harrass someone or send death threats or create anti-vac propaganda anonymously.

The majority of troll farms are state run and done by bots. An ID system doesn't solve this.

The right currently has entire online media companies where the authors are not anonymous, they are very public. See info wars and Brightbart.

The issue with modern day online harassment is the state and companies are unwilling to punish those who do it, not because they're anonymous. An ID system would just put a face to a name, people will still do it consequence free. Plus there will surely be people who will steal other people's IDs or simply make accounts outside of countries where ID systems exist.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Being paid to make media content isn't a new industry

What do you know, creators are throwing a tantrum. Turns out it's not just YouTube being greedy.
Yea, it's totally the same thing. All these greedy YouTubers *checks notes*... worried about their livelihoods

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, please. Get a grip.

I don't think what I said should be unreasonable. People might like Youtube but I'm laying out an argument why that really shouldn't matter if we talk about Youtube as an entity. Space can be easily filled, they aren't doing anything super interesting anymore, just being a monopoly.

Being paid to make media content isn't a new industry

Making media has never entitled anyone to a job. Nobody is going to say that studio X must survive because otherwise their employees won't get paid, so it's weird we make an argument that producers on a platform getting paid necessitate the survival of the platform. What is new is a form of individual contracting with out a contract to large tech brands. People give up their rights to not have the rug pulled out from under them because they aren't real employees. Monopolistic conditions keep them there and it's a toxic agreement even if those 0.1% make it big. But nothing here necessitates this arrangement need to be viable (certainly Google does not), so why fight for it?

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Frankly, I'm over all of the social media companies basically just complaining that the problem they're being asked to solve is too big. Facebook, Google/Youtube, Twitter, all saying making any real headway is too big of a problem.

Too damn bad, it's not my fault you built a whole business model without considering the scaling issues and thinking ahead to the potential abuses it could cause and plan for addressing them.

As for YouTube creators, they aren't owed a career on Youtube anymore than a coal miner is owed a career in a coal mine if the good of society and the progression of the world deems it necessary that that job go away. Maybe the Youtube creators should consider career retraining programs.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
there's a way YouTube can police suspect garbage on their website without fucking over every single creator on their platform in the process

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Youtube needs to be completely shutdown.

This is unrealistic and completely nonsensical.

Comments on ebike review channel and weird China smart watch channel are extremely informative because there is no other bigger platform to discuss these specific models.

Let the creators disable the comment themselves.

That is kind of minor in the grand scheme of things though. The overwhelming majority of comment areas serve for nothing but unimportant nonsense and a place to spew vile hate.

Comments should be completely killed.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
Get fucked asswipes.

Glad years of letting pedophiles run rampant, conspiracy videos go unchecked and giving alt-right nazis a platform is, finally, finally blowing up in their face.

Seriously. They've allowed pieces of actual shit get in front of anyone with virtually no filter. Lots of these shitheels motive isn't the money from ads, it's spreading their toxic message. YT has been all too happy to hold the door open for them and cash in on it, knowingly.

I'd like to see creators start to move their content elsewhere. Yes, it impacts (to put it lightly) revenue, but change doesn't happen until you make it happen.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
If your channel is so dependent on comments, that without them you will fail... I mean, that's unfortunate, but YouTube Comments need to die. You have other options available for interactions. Start a Discord, go to Twitch, try Patreon. Some place where there is at least some attempt at moderation. Google will never invest the resources required to scrub YouTube clean, I'm not sure it would even be possible. The only options are maintain the status quo-- which is now actively harming children-- or go the imdb route and nuke comments into space. The latter is the correct option.

Deleted member 19844

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
If your channel is so dependent on comments, that without them you will fail... I mean, that's unfortunate, but YouTube Comments need to die. You have other options available for interactions. Start a Discord, go to Twitch, try Patreon. Some place where there is at least some attempt at moderation. Google will never invest the resources required to scrub YouTube clean, I'm not sure it would even be possible. The only options are maintain the status quo-- which is now actively harming children-- or go the imdb route and nuke comments into space. The latter is the correct option.
Wait, what is actually wrong with the approach they're laying out re: inappropriate comments resulting in comments being disabled for the video? This incentivizes content creators to moderate their comments / turn on review and approval for all comments / disable comments, and helps ensure advertisers won't be connected to videos with toxic comments.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this a "child sex ring" or is it just creepers leaving hobo signs for each other on innocent videos of children that are within normal rules and standards?

Honest question, I'm not really trying to go down this rabbit hole given the implications on its impacts on recommendations in the algorithm.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
channels are dependent on comments because of youtube's algorithm itself. the algorithm considers some esoteric combination of views, watch time and engagement (comments) when deciding what videos to surface for each user. i think most creators understand there are better alternatives to communicate with their viewers, but if they're trying to grow or even maintain the current viewer base for their channels, they HAVE to have an active youtube comments section.

Deleted member 19844

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
Is this a "child sex ring" or is it just creepers leaving hobo signs for each other on innocent videos of children that are within normal rules and standards?

Honest question, I'm not really trying to go down this rabbit hole given the implications on its impacts on recommendations in the algorithm.
It's hobo signs on innocent videos + the YT algorithm where if you started with a bikini haul search, you get offered some kids gymnastics videos, and if you click on one of those, then you're just going to get more of those videos + innocent videos reuploaded with sketchy thumbnails + some seemingly exploitative videos (meaning technically within guidelines, but you can tell there's a creepy intent).

Immediate response (i.e. within 48 hours) included disabling comments on tens of millions of videos, termination of 400+ accounts / channels for comments left on such videos, and illegal comments reported to law enforcement.

Further steps being taken include automated disabling of comments on videos getting inappropriate comments, in some cases automated demonetization of videos with inappropriate comments (I believe this is if your video is getting inappropriate comments and your video has kids in it). The implicit communication to YT creators is essentially to moderate comments, disable comments, or do nothing and risk your videos getting demonetized.

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
Getting rid of comments on videos is the best solution to these things. Users will deal with it in the end. ESPN got rid of comments and in the end who cares. The comments are almost always fucking stupid... and in this case fucking disgusting and dangerous.

It's about time that Youtube starts getting realistically pressured into doing something about their content problem. It's not enough to just point to the algorithm and screw other smaller youtubers who didn't even do anything wrong whenever a controversy pops up.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
Seems to me that disabling comments just means these people will gather on some other social network and share timestamps. An actual solution is going to require a fundamental change in who/how content is uploaded to youtube and a robust system of oversight... rather than just tossing everything into a big bowl algorithm and hoping it works out.

Ash735

Banned
Sep 4, 2018
At this point YouTube is just looking at ways to tie any scandal into ways to demonitize content creators even more.

Jie Li

Alt account
Banned
Dec 21, 2018
This is unrealistic and completely nonsensical.

That is kind of minor in the grand scheme of things though. The overwhelming majority of comment areas serve for nothing but unimportant nonsense and a place to spew vile hate.

Comments should be completely killed.

LOL its minor to you not minor to the people in the ebike business.

Hopefully google will tell you to fuck off.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Wait, what is actually wrong with the approach they're laying out re: inappropriate comments resulting in comments being disabled for the video? This incentivizes content creators to moderate their comments / turn on review and approval for all comments / disable comments, and helps ensure advertisers won't be connected to videos with toxic comments.

It clearly doesn't work or isn't implemented.

Do you ever use youtube?

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
I think you misunderstood. They have announced, within the last day, the approach I summarized. I'm asking what you think is actually wrong with that approach.

Yes, I use Youtube,

It won't prevent people from spreading bullshit and toxic crap. Most videos on youtube get a quick buzz then die out. By the time they disable the comments harm and stupidity will already have been done.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I usually watch Youtube using the app on my TV or Roku. I never even see comments in the first place so whether they exist or not is irrelevant to that groups of viewers. I wonder what the percentage of views are that come from TV-style apps on Smart TVs, streaming boxes, and game consoles are? Probably small.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's hobo signs on innocent videos + the YT algorithm where if you started with a bikini haul search, you get offered some kids gymnastics videos, and if you click on one of those, then you're just going to get more of those videos + innocent videos reuploaded with sketchy thumbnails + some seemingly exploitative videos (meaning technically within guidelines, but you can tell there's a creepy intent).

Immediate response (i.e. within 48 hours) included disabling comments on tens of millions of videos, termination of 400+ accounts / channels for comments left on such videos, and illegal comments reported to law enforcement.

Further steps being taken include automated disabling of comments on videos getting inappropriate comments, in some cases automated demonetization of videos with inappropriate comments (I believe this is if your video is getting inappropriate comments and your video has kids in it). The implicit communication to YT creators is essentially to moderate comments, disable comments, or do nothing and risk your videos getting demonetized.
What would be reported to law enforcement if the material in the videos wasn't actually pornographic? That's the part that I don't really get.

Like, if some creep wants to jerk off to Tiger Beat magazine, that doesn't make Tiger Beat pornographic, and I don't know realistically what anyone can do about it.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I usually watch Youtube using the app on my TV or Roku. I never even see comments in the first place so whether they exist or not is irrelevant to that groups of viewers. I wonder what the percentage of views are that come from TV-style apps on Smart TVs, streaming boxes, and game consoles are? Probably small.
Less than 10% usually on my channel. Mobile and desktop are the biggest

I have a small tech channel and comments are huge. Lots of people ask advice, about compatibility, make suggestions, troubleshoot, etc.

Maybe they should just make it against the TOS for minors to post videos or to post videos with minors in them 🤷‍♂️

Deleted member 19844

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
What would be reported to law enforcement if the material in the videos wasn't actually pornographic? That's the part that I don't really get.

Like, if some creep wants to jerk off to Tiger Beat magazine, that doesn't make Tiger Beat pornographic, and I don't know realistically what anyone can do about it.
My sense is that this would be, for example, comments that direct people to actual cp stuff or how to find it. For example, "If you like this, then you'll love (insert evil stuff here)..."
It won't prevent people from spreading bullshit and toxic crap. Most videos on youtube get a quick buzz then die out. By the time they disable the comments harm and stupidity will already have been done.
Depends on the effectiveness of the system, which we'll see soon. They've gotten really good at immediate, automated action on copyrighted material. There's automated audio analysis on videos. They managed to disable comments on 10+ million videos within 48 hours. We'll see how this work and improves over time. Also, I'm referring to the kinds of comments highlighted by this issue (perverts commenting on kids videos), not bullshit comments in general.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
as someone who only watches Youtube on phone (Android), is there any alternative to the official Youtube app?

One where I can just hide comments if I want, but still support things like saving videos or subscribing to channels

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whats the video. This is messed up.

Now my youtiube recommendations is half videos saying how this guy is manipulating you and how he wants to kill the videos you love. :thinking:

Deleted member 19844

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
as someone who only watches Youtube on phone (Android), is there any alternative to the official Youtube app?

One where I can just hide comments if I want, but still support things like saving videos or subscribing to channels
Feel free to ignore this reply cuz I know you're looking for an app alternative, but I'm curious if you've found comments to be intrusive in the app. I never see them unless I go looking for them. I'm on iOS, though, so perhaps the Android app is different?

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
Feel free to ignore this reply cuz I know you're looking for an app alternative, but I'm curious if you've found comments to be intrusive in the app. I never see them unless I go looking for them. I'm on iOS, though, so perhaps the Android app is different?

It's not, but I always end up clicking on them anyway (my fault, I know), and they just make me mad most of the time. I'd prefer to not even be reminded they're there lol