• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
I have two PS4s. Tonight I'm going to be playing some stuff on my Pro whilst my girlfriend chills with Animal Crossing upstairs. I figure I'll download Disney+ on my upstairs PS4 in case she wants to watch some shit too.

So I download it on my account. Then I go to demonstrate how to use her own account to navigate to it and launch it, I click on it and her account cannot launch it because it is licensed to my account because my account is the one that downloaded it.

???

Sorry but that's fucking stupid. Why is a free-to-download video streaming service limited to the person who downloaded it? So I had to delete the application and re-download it using her account.

Is thing a thing for all video service apps on PS4?

Oct 28, 2017
Their account probably didn't have a license so you would have to grab it from the Store, even if its a free application. You probably dont have that console set up as the Primary PS4 for both accounts, meaning you can't share applications, leading to this to happen.

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
This sounds like it might be a Playstation thing rather than a Disney+ thing since it works fine on Xbox across multiple accounts.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
if your account is not the primary account on your girlfriend's ps4 i think it's normal.
most game/app work the same as far as i know.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I've encountered weird stuff like that on other platforms, and it usually works to just have the other account "purchase" the free content as well, rather than needing to actually fully redownload it, but I'm not sure how PlayStation works.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's maybe not even for the app but potentially a codec etc - like Dolby Atmos/blu ray free DL on Xbox then you're not charging non users for the incremental licensing fee

OP
OP
Pankratous

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Their account probably didn't have a license so you would have to grab it from the Store, even if its a free application. You probably dont have that console set up as the Primary PS4 for both accounts, meaning you can't share applications, leading to this to happen.

I tried to redeem it on her account before resorting to delete and re-download but there was no option to do anything.

I think it's because of the whole primary account thing. My primary is the downstairs one. Very stupid but I guess this is common knowledge. I'd forgotten about it.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Yeah, I assume it's the primary PS4 thing. I had to make the one in the other room primary so my wife could play some games on it while I was in the bedroom using my Pro. Unfortunate consequence of this is that my now secondary PS4 never downloads updates when it's in sleep mode.. if anyone knows how to fix that I'm all ears..

TimPV3

Oct 30, 2017
I think it's just a consequence of their general 2 at a time policy (primary console/logged in and online on the other console), do any apps/games get an exception? I think even the Media Player does this.