• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Would a Disney+ KH anime work?

• Yes

Votes: 213 33.1%
  • No

Votes: 319 49.5%
  • Gosh, Did somebody mention the Door to Darkness?

Votes: 192 29.8%

• Total voters

GG-Duo

Oct 27, 2017
Does Disney+ have any Asian content at all? Or is it all American or even Euro-centric?

As someone who grew up in Asia, I don't have the same negative feelings about "anime" as some of you. It's just Japanese animation. But it kinda seems like a glaring hole.

Neo Hartless

Jan 8, 2019
Does Disney+ have any Asian content at all? Or is it all American or even Euro-centric?

As someone who grew up in Asia, I don't have the same negative feelings about "anime" as some of you. It's just Japanese animation. But it kinda seems like a glaring hole.

It' weird because the Marvel Disk Wars got a full Engliah dub (Even had a Stan Lee cameo), and if it's not there I don't know where else to put it.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Disney+ has Disney content.

Oct 25, 2017
Pls no. Anime was already getting fragmented behind too many paid services. Amazon Strike ending and VRV coming out has been great.

Yippiekai

The Fallen
May 28, 2018
Toulouse, France
Disney + Kingdom Hearts original plan:
Deliver a good season 1
In-between season 1 & 2, drop 6 episodes of CoM on Youtube
Deliver a great season 2, that people will love but some will have questions about "those guys in black" they didn't see in the season 1
Go completely ballistic and throw a bunch of new seasons on Hulu, Netflix and Amazon Prime
Launch a season 3 prequel, even if we are already at season 10+, name it season 2.8
Deliver a good season 3 and watch people who didn't even care to watch season 1 & 2 call it convoluted

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if They can buy Fox and show The Simpsons then surely they can license some Asian content. And there must've been some stuff throughout their long history that was produced for the Asian market?
Right but Fox is Disney now. They're not licensing anything, D+ is their streaming service for their own content.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Not going to Disney+ for anime and I doubt many other's are either. That's what Crunchyroll is for.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
KH already barely works as a game, let's not go crazy.
All jokes and jabs at an IP I don't like aside, Disney+ absolutely doesn't need anime

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Disney should just all the Miyazaki movies they dubbed and or help release in the West.

Boom. Anime on Disney Plus.

Or better yet the English dub of the Stitch! TV series that never aired in America.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Isn't most of Disney+ animation? 3D rendering seems to be the way they make most of their cartoons, they would probably start there.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Yes!!! Reimagine the franchise to make it more compatiable for streaming and make each game a series.

I know people who've literally unsubscribe from Netflix when they learned they were starting to fund anime. It's literally a bigger boon to advertise yourself as anime-free.

That's a special kind of stupid. You don't see me cancelling my Netflix subscription because 13 Reasons Why gets renewed.

WorldofMiku

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They need to get that Stitch! anime up first.
Although I'm not interested in it because of the bad voice acting and I'm used to the original VAs.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt Disney is looking to appeal to the anime fandom. They're probably happy enough with using their globally popular IP as leverage for Disney+.

I'd suggest you look towards HBO Max, as that will have anime handpicked by Crunchyroll.

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
Too bad they didn't keep that license to distribute Ghibli films 😂

I guess it would be ok, depending on the studio.Don't see anything wrong with more diverse content.

...but I'm going to have to say nooo to others suggestion of a Star Wars anime or any other Disney to anime adaption. It's just a weird fit

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I know people who've literally unsubscribe from Netflix when they learned they were starting to fund anime. It's literally a bigger boon to advertise yourself as anime-free.
I really doubt majority of users give a shit if there's anime or not they're just care if their favorite classic sitcom is on or stuff like stranger things

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If only there were streaming platforms dedicated to anime and japanese media.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Disney+ lacks anime

Feature, not a bug.
An American company famous for its animation doesn't have Japanese animation on its streaming platform.

Gosh.

Pretty much.
Anime is not a genre. It's a medium. One with a sizeable audience

Cartoons aren't a genre either.

You can make a good Anime and adhere to the "for the family" Disney+ motto
Ok, I will bite since only one other person has.
How is anime a medium where cartoons are not?

Anime is a style of cartoon. It isn't a medium.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Kingdom Hearts no longer has enough Disney content to qualify for Disney+ lol

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Itll happene eventually. Maybe not Disney produced but they'll buy out some anime rights like Netflix did. Like of they were able to snatch the streaming rights to Dragon Ball and One piece for example thatd be huge. Then they could bolster that with their own original productions.
Ok, I will bite since only one other person has.
How is anime a medium where cartoons are not?

Anime is a style of cartoon. It isn't a medium.
Re-read the post you're quoting. He says that anime and cartoons are both mediums, not genre.

Oct 25, 2017
Kingdom Hearts no longer has enough Disney content to qualify for Disney+ lol

Disney owns the rights to the Kingdom Hearts characters.
They own Sora, Riku and Kairi. They own Roxas. They own Terra, Ven and Aqua. They own Xehanort and the many incarnations of Luxu.
It is Disney all the way. The Square-Enix stuff is a fun guest characters.
The fact people don't know this is baffling.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Disney owns the rights to the Kingdom Hearts characters.
They own Sora, Riku and Kairi. They own Roxas. They own Terra, Ven and Aqua. They own Xehanort and the many incarnations of Luxu.
It is Disney all the way. The Square-Enix stuff is a fun guest characters.
The fact people don't know this is baffling.
I know it very well mate. But you name the last Disney Classic that featured Mr Spiky Hair Clown Shoes.

Read between dem lines between your bafflement.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who loves anime, I find the idea that Disney needs to make some to compete hilariously disingenuous.