• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
They'll probably realize no one is trained to do it anymore and give up.

Kind of a joke but if 20 years from now it's still pretty much at CGI movies, you'd think the skill set may eventually fade away.

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's more that they don't want to pay teams of animators. Not that 3D isn't labor intensive but it's more front-loaded and the infrastructure carries over so the more you use it, the more you can do with less. Hand-drawn, there are only so many ways to streamline the process. In the end, you're still running a sweatshop of artists drawing individual frames and backgrounds. And there are few things Disney hates more than labor costs.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis

Kind of a joke but if 20 years from now it's still pretty much at CGI movies, you'd think the skill set may eventually fade away.
The skill set has moved over to TV animation

This guy for example has worked on Adventure Time, Regular Show, Steven Universe etc

Rated-G

Oct 29, 2017
I do wonder if the skills are still as widespread as they were, with a generation of animators working in 3D for decades now. I guess art schools still teach 2D animation in their core curriculum? I mean, I doubt architects can draw as well with drafting boards if they are forced to compared with the generation before, you probably wouldn't draft techical plans and sections by hand beyond the first year of education.

It's hard to say. For me, I went to school for traditional/3D, with the desire to work only in traditional. When I realized how much of the same satisfaction I got out of working in 3D, I ended up making it my focus, which of course helped with getting a job. But I still was doing personal projects in 2D, and recently have had a few jobs in 2D that included some animators who had very little experience animating in 2D, but all had the drawing skill necessary. They had a small period of time where they worked a little slower at first, but quickly found a groove and were just as productive as the rest of us. I think you're more likely to find animators who exclusively work in 3D in the AAA games industry. Most people in the film/television industry have done a mix throughout their careers.

Most schools that teach animation will still start you off with at least several life drawing courses, 2D fundamentals, and traditional animation classes before focusing on 3D. And a lot of the more animation dedicated schools still offer a 2D focused curriculum.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Can't see it happening on the big screen, even by the late 90's 2D films started to under-perform at the box office, there is exceptions like the Simpsons movie, though that is digital but still the only 2D film that was a big hit in recent times.
Also all the people who were really good at traditional animation like Don Bluth are long retired now, unless Disney starts hiring the absolute best Japanese animators, it's very difficult to recapture that level of quality we saw in the so called renaissance era.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
A full film like this Disney or even just a Disney+ show.

tenor.gif

as the kids would say, this ain't it chief.

Oct 27, 2017
From what I understood, the primary issue with this is that there simply are not enough high-skilled hand-animators anymore that can perform at that kind of levels for a big-budget release. The scarcity means that anyone that does exist is going to be in high-demand and thus... will require a higher pay, which means the production budget will be that much higher. Obviously I'm all for people getting paid but if the market shows that simply being hand-drawn doesn't result in any change in returns... they likely won't end up going that route.

Obviously part of the reason this is a thing is because places like Disney decided to stop working in the hand-drawn field, so people stopped getting skilled in it. It would likely take years for generations to relearn the skills and repopulate the field.

Dec 22, 2017
I think it's more that they don't want to pay teams of animators. Not that 3D isn't labor intensive but it's more front-loaded and the infrastructure carries over so the more you use it, the more you can do with less. Hand-drawn, there are only so many ways to streamline the process. In the end, you're still running a sweatshop of artists drawing individual frames and backgrounds. And there are few things Disney hates more than labor costs.

If I recall, Moana was being developed in 2D. They said the water wouldn't animate as well it it wasn't CGI, but I think that just meant "with the budget we had".

manzoman96

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This would make me so happy. The day they bring hand drawn animation back is the day I become less cynical of the other things Disney does.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Good. Tbh I'd say theres room for all three, but honestly I kinda wish they'd just drop the live action to go back to animation both 2d and 3d. I've yet to actually enjoy one of them more tha the original so it all seems a bit pointless.

Deleted member 19844

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
I grew up with Disney hand-drawn animation and I would like it to be left behind. I'd prefer the hand-drawn style to return via computer tech (like the examples from the Disney Feast shorts posted above).

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
It's because you buffoons did not watch the Winnie the Pooh movie in 2011, and we got the nightmare fuel live-action CG Christopher Robin movie instead.

Beedig

Feb 10, 2018

2d animation still exists in the process with making these cg animated movies with pencil tests.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
Well, that would be nice. It's too bad that recent Disney Animation films have become so inconsistent in quality, narrative-wise. Zootopia was amazing, but Moana and Ralph Breaks the Internet were just bad.

Almost every 3D animator can do 2D animation as well. Drawn animation, being a skill that is as simple as drawing many paintings, will probably never truly disappear.

manzoman96

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It would be amazing if they could bring back some of the masters like Glen Keane, Andres Deja, etc. I believe Mark Henn is still there.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
People saying that animators aren't trained in 2D anymore: If you went to school and weren't taught the basics of 2D animation as a requirement for your training then your schooling isn't finished and you need to get your money back. Even though almost everything is done with 3D animation now, having an understanding of 2D animation and the basics of animation are essential, I don't know any animators that didn't have to take at least some 2D courses. Every class I ever took required them, too. The public just doesn't see it anymore (but they see the results, since as others have posted, today's 3D animation still has a ton of hands-on keyframing and traditional animation techniques in it)

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why not just hire one of the many professional Japanese studios to handle it?

I'm sure if you gave Trigger the budget of an average Disney film they would produce amazing results.

Or how about Ghibli? I'm sure Ghibli would be more than happy to cross that threshold.

Instead of all these terrible rejected pitches for a live action Akira, why not toss that Disney money and get some animation studios to do an animated remake?

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
I sure as hell ain't begging them, be nice if they did would give more work to traditional artists.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I meant all the Direct to video crap from the 90s
Well fortunately, or unfortunately depending on how you look at it, the division in charge of that was shut down.
That was all made by Disneytoon Studios, which closed its doors last year.
Disneytoon Studios doesn't deserve blame for the low quality of the 90's direct-to-video "Disney Sequels".

The blame for those movies more accurately belongs to the former head of the studio Sharon Morrill, who was a Michael Eisner appointee/loyalist, and who was ejected after openly defying John Lasseter's authority, after he shut down their sequel operation (citing it's terrible reputation) and stopped Morrill from burning hundreds of millions of Disney's dollars on her own personal Tinkerbell fanfiction.

When the director of "Pocahontas 2" was ordered to make "Pocahontas 2", he allegedly asked to have a copy of Pocahontas 1, and was told by his superiors "It's not out on VHS yet, so no. Have the script on my desk by Tuesday." So he walked into Disneytoon Studios and asked "Has anybody seen Pocahontas 1? And if so, can you tell me what happened in that movie?"

Under those sorts of conditions, the only surprising thing is that the hardworking artists at Disneytoon (through their entirely unappreciated efforts) managed to make anything remotely watchable.

The Tinkerbell series of movies made after Eisner/Morrill in the Lasseter era are mostly solid kids movies (if you're considering watching them, they're more "for kids" than the all-ages approach of something like Pixar, so keep that in mind). I would say that at least three of them are really good, with only one that I'd say was "bad".

It's a shame that in their final years, Lasseter (like Morrill before him) started using Disneytoon as his own personal vanity studio, and made them work on "Cars" spinoffs because Pixar refused. It's also a shame about Lasseter's "sexual assault/harassment thing", considering that his time with Disneytoon began with him getting into a fight with a female executive. Really makes you side-eye the whole sordid affair.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I don't think they'll ever return to traditional hand-drawn animation unless they're smaller scope projects like Winnie the Pooh, but I could see them making something that's stylistically, aesthetically "hand-drawn" like Paperman.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Labor/logistics aside I could see a 2D renaissance of sorts as most gen Zers and younger likely never saw a 2D animated film in theater, and that may in itself develop its own appeal. Kind of like an inverse of the 90s going from 2D to Pixar

wishful thinking but putting myself in the mindset of somebody born after 2005 or so, there's an angle there I suppose

ProfessorLv10

One Winged Slayer
May 27, 2019
I really hope that the general cinema going public will spend money on tickets to hand drawn animated movies. But I fear that people will se it as "old" and "outdated".

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Oh god, please do it. CGI is simply not the same.

Princess and the Frog was such a great movie, much better than anything that came after it (Frozen came close).

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Disneytoon Studios doesn't deserve blame for the low quality of the 90's direct-to-video "Disney Sequels".

The blame for those movies more accurately belongs to the former head of the studio Sharon Morrill, who was a Michael Eisner appointee/loyalist, and who was ejected after openly defying John Lasseter's authority, after he shut down their sequel operation (citing it's terrible reputation) and stopped Morrill from burning hundreds of millions of Disney's dollars on her own personal Tinkerbell fanfiction.

When the director of "Pocahontas 2" was ordered to make "Pocahontas 2", he allegedly asked to have a copy of Pocahontas 1, and was told by his superiors "It's not out on VHS yet, so no. Have the script on my desk by Tuesday." So he walked into Disneytoon Studios and asked "Has anybody seen Pocahontas 1? And if so, can you tell me what happened in that movie?"

Under those sorts of conditions, the only surprising thing is that the hardworking artists at Disneytoon (through their entirely unappreciated efforts) managed to make anything remotely watchable.

The Tinkerbell series of movies made after Eisner/Morrill in the Lasseter era are mostly solid kids movies (if you're considering watching them, they're more "for kids" than the all-ages approach of something like Pixar, so keep that in mind). I would say that at least three of them are really good, with only one that I'd say was "bad".

It's a shame that in their final years, Lasseter (like Morrill before him) started using Disneytoon as his own personal vanity studio, and made them work on "Cars" spinoffs because Pixar refused. It's also a shame about Lasseter's "sexual assault/harassment thing", considering that his time with Disneytoon began with him getting into a fight with a female executive. Really makes you side-eye the whole sordid affair.
My hope was that DisneyToons could have eventually been salvaged to keep producing hand-drawn movies while the big guns at WDFA focused on their CGI stuff, but alas.

Cinderella 3 was quality enough that it would have been easily justified as a theatrical release

db1332baffd8bc1943cbd21c879fd035.gif

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Just noticed that both The Lion King and Jungle Book remakes, CGI recreations of traditionally animated movies, use a variant of the Disney Castle intro made to look like it's hand-drawn.

What's that about.