• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
I dont know if its my tv or not but I have an Xbox One X and a TCL (the cheapo version) however, HDR on games 4K Blu Rays and Netflix have no issues just Disney+. My Tv wont allow me to disable HDR on apps only so I had to download it on the Xbox and then disable HDR which is not ideal.

Any ideas?

MoonScented

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I quit watching The Mandalorian because the picture was insanely dark & washed out. My belief is Disney automatically activates HDR in any TV it detects is 4K. I've found HDR to be a gimmick so far, and the picture always is brighter & better when I disable HDR on all of my TVs. Disney+ doesn't give any option to do this.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I quit watching The Mandalorian because the picture was insanely dark & washed out. My belief is Disney automatically activates HDR in any TV it detects is 4K. I've found HDR to be a gimmick so far, and the picture always is brighter & better when I disable HDR on all of my TVs. Disney+ doesn't give any option to do this.
What TV? Unless your TV support brightness high enough to properly display an HDR image, you'll experience what you're describing. I can assure you it is not a gimmick.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
HDR is not. "gimmick" when done properly- arguably it's a more important upgrade than the move to 4k alone.

Unfortunately The Mandalorian is a terrible implementation of HDR. If you want a good example of it there are some great movies on UHD 4k Blu like 2001, The Wizard of Oz, etc.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Disney+ is wildly inconsistent with HDR in general, and you're in for a Bad Time with a lot of it's HDR content (including Mandalorian) if you're using a low peak brightness HDR set (around 400 nits or worse) without a way to trick Disney+ into forcing an SDR image instead. Disney shoved a bunch of content into basic Dolby Vision wrappers without putting in the post-production work necessary to fulfill its potential, and skipping that work makes the experience worse - not better - for low brightness HDR sets out there.

Disney+ does have a few legitimately good HDR / Dolby Vision titles like Moana and Frozen 2 (basically anything that was Dolby Vision mastered in its theatrical or blu-ray production), but those are the exceptions and not the rule when it comes to Disney+.

Oct 26, 2017
I have the same issue, either turn off HDR on your Xbox or mess with the color settings on your TV. I would switch it to bright mode and then fiddle with the picture settings on there, and then switch to your adjusted bright mode whenever you watch D+.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
The mandalorian is a special case, even with my HDR/Dolby vision set to cinema home on my LG C9 it was too Dark in Dark scènes like the bar scènes or night scenes. Add screen glare during the Day and I could barely see anything.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Playing from my pc to the tv hdr is crap. The DIsney + app on my Samsung is also crap. The Nvidia shield Disney+ hdr is really good. I have also heard it's good on the Apple tv box.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
Its not a gimmick. HDR and Dolby Vision are best viewed a lot of the time in a darker setting. But some things are just mastered darker like The Mandalorian.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah there were several points in The Mandalorian where I was looking at basically a black screen. I'm sure on a quality TV with minimal ambient light it is good, but in a fully lit living room with a cheapo LG it was bad.

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017
I have the same issue, either turn off HDR on your Xbox or mess with the color settings on your TV. I would switch it to bright mode and then fiddle with the picture settings on there, and then switch to your adjusted bright mode whenever you watch D+.

Yeah, I had to watch it in 1080p on my One X as the HDR10 option didnt really make much change to the darkness. When I mess withe the settings while the 4K/HDR10 is on, it just makes everything grey or like black jeans that got washed too many times.

I dont know what is different about D+ but I hope they fix it.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's because, at least on Apple TV, Disney+ is serving up SDR content in an HDR video container, so they can claim they have more HDR content than they actually do. This includes The Mandalorian and the Star Wars movies. What happens when they do this is it puts the TV into HDR mode, which expects to receive a much brighter, higher contrast image. When that image is actually SDR content, you get a dark muddled mess.

It's the type of thing that just confuses consumers and will lead to the tarnishing of the reputation of the technology, because someone wants to abuse it for marketing reasons.

www.engadget.com

Analysis suggests Disney+ doesn't stream 'The Mandalorian' in true HDR

The Mandalorian has given us Baby Yoda and, by some accounts, made Disney+ worth it. The first live-action Star Wars show, The Mandalorian packs the kind of action and visual splendor that will remind you why you love Star Wars in the first place, and it stands out as truly original content on...

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah all other HDR content looks great on my Sony, but Disney+ makes Moana look like it's shot in the shade when it should be hyper colorful.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
you've stepped into the unknown

sorry, thread since march.

also... soapbox was banned.. wtf?

Dankir

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

HDR is a gimmick?? come on man....

Does nobody play PS4 PRO or Xbox One X games in HDR? Go play Spider Man, God Of War, Forza 4 Horizon, Avengers, Mortal Kombat 11.... and if games aren't your thing go watch any number of 4K blu rays.

HDR is a way bigger deal than 4K this gen.