• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
Please be for Star Wars Land. Supposedly the tech they're cramming in there is damn near Westworld.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Crazy, I'm looking forward to the next gen Fantasmic that uses a bunch of these for some high flying acrobatics that would be impossible to have performers do

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Good, i know it sounds shitty for people on the line of work, but minimizing stunt double deaths and accidents sounds great.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why...

I mean I guess it could be cool for some super intense stuns without having to use CG. But I dunno. I just dunno anymore man.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
It looks like a human does the stunt once and then the robots use the captured data to repeat the performance. It seems like something that'd be aimed at live events rather than for movies.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Why...

I mean I guess it could be cool for some super intense stuns without having to use CG. But I dunno. I just dunno anymore man.

I'd think it'd be for a live attraction stunt show or rides in the theme parks.

These are in a pretty limited domain (i.e. would be rigged for each particular stunt to do over and over and over and over again) and wouldn't be replacing a human performer in a stage show.

Woolley

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The amazing part about the stunts is that it provides some sort of danger whether or not the danger is real. Having robots doing big stunts aren't going to have anywhere near the same effect.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Many they could do some crazy stunts that would be too dangerous for a human performer to perform even once (or at least in a way anyone would insure), let alone over and over again.

This shit is fucking Spider-Man and I'm geeking out!

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
Good, i know it sounds shitty for people on the line of work, but minimizing stunt double deaths and accidents sounds great.

If this is for a ride then having human stunt doubles performing stunts every 30 minutes or so wouldn't be viable to begin with. Hell just getting cast members to put on even the simplest of performances is a bit of an ask due to how repetitive the work is, and it's difficult to guarantee any sort of consistency with the performance.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
The amazing part about the stunts is that it provides some sort of danger whether or not the danger is real. Having robots doing big stunts aren't going to have anywhere near the same effect.
Obviously they'd wear costumes and only be used for specific, really intense stunts.

If they had actual stunt people in costumes for smaller stunts and action, a well-timed switch could keep up the illusion and fool people even if they know robots do the stunts, like a magic trick.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
latest

Simpsons predicted it

Oct 31, 2017
That's pretty cool. You know when you go to Pandora and it's missing the Na'vi? I think something like this and/or holograms could really help us be immersed in that world. Having Na'vi jumping between the floating islands would be cool as hell.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Tinkerbell in the fireworks show better get her resume ready.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how smart the actual robotics here is. Is it just moving its arms/legs/chest/head in some preset direction and distance or does it dynamically adjust these postures for air control and to hit the landing?

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
An attraction where you play the role of a badass that sends goons flying would be awesome. Kind of like a safe danger zone or a real life Superhot.