• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
I think Fifth Element is the only 4K I don't have that I'd be interested in, it any good (quality, not movie).

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
So what now, no more theaters, no more high quality home media? Fuck digital future until they start dropping 100gb+ downloads for purchase and not the compressed shit we have to deal with now.

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
Damn guess this means I have to buy that gaudy-ass Star Wars collection from Best Buy, after all.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
The completely opposed attitudes to our all-digital future held by gamers and cinephiles is always funny to me. And I'm someone who doesn't care for the trend, for games, movies, or books even.
why? digital streaming services have shown that they can and will remove/edit/censor movie and tv shows however they like as we've seen recently with a couple movies on D+ and back to the future on netflix

i have stuff physically like the tony hawks games or burnout that the older games stand no chance of getting re-releases unless the publisher puts the effort into it and ironically out of those 2 series only 3 games out of the 11 games have actually been remastered/remade with some if not most of their original songs

Dernus

Oct 27, 2017
This blows, I was looking for Aliens 4K last weekend as I've been upgrading to all 4K discs. I despise streaming services, there's too many of them now and the quality doesn't measure up to the physical discs.

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
This topic title is misleading. Disney will continue making 4K UHDs for their new films. It's their CATALOG titles that we need to worry about moving forward.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
I remember reading that there's something up with the original Aliens print that prevented a 4K release. Was that right?

Not 100% certain. It's an unusually grainy movie, and quite soft looking. AFAIK a lot of that was a deliberate choice of film stock combined with low light filming and possibly underexposure. How much it would benefit from a 4K release is a matter of debate. Also, Cameron seems to be in favour of using DNR to sharpen things up, but most cinephiles aren't fans of this at all.

New002

Oct 25, 2017
The completely opposed attitudes to our all-digital future held by gamers and cinephiles is always funny to me. And I'm someone who doesn't care for the trend, for games, movies, or books even.

Games don't particularly bother me because at the end of the day the game is the same whether I download a digital copy or buy a physical copy. The copies are identical. Downloaded and streamed copies of movies aren't the same quality as what comes on the physical disc and can even be missing options or additional content like extras.

So yeah... think of it more like the physical option for games going away and being left only with a streaming option with compressed and possibly limited audio and visuals, or at best a download that while better than streaming is still below the quality of what a physical game would provide.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
It makes sense. The market for it is just too small. Streaming is good enough for the vast majority

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
This topic title is misleading. Disney will continue making 4K UHDs for their new films. It's their CATALOG titles that we need to worry about moving forward.

This. It's been repeated in here several times already, and even the title of the article that's referenced says catalog titles, but the assumption is still going to be that all new releases are cancelled until the OP changes this or it gets merged in the digitalbits thread.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
This sucks hard but we all knew this day was coming eventually, right? I did, though I expected it to take a bit longer. Other studios will eventually follow suit.

For a lot of people, 4K UHD hit the sweet spot of good enough so they were hoping it would take longer and we'd squeak on by with getting enough content in this format because it hit that quality level.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis

For gaming, the experience is 1:1 physical vs digital. Not even close for UHD BD vs streaming. It sucks for anyone that wants the very best.

EDIT: beaten

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
Disney shouldn't own this much of the market.

They were already blocking theaters from running old Fox films.

They don't give two shits about how they present films on their streaming service.

I want to see old films in high quality with the intended aspect ratio without content cut because Disney is afraid a boob may sneak into a shot.

Dec 24, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Drive-by, concern trolling
Disney shouldn't own this much of the market.

They were already blocking theaters from running old Fox films.

They don't give two shits about how they present films on their streaming service.

I want to see old films in high quality with the intended aspect ratio without content cut because Disney is afraid a boob may sneak into a shot.
Their are real issues in the world that we are dealing with like racism and COVID-19 instead you are complaining about how much Disney owns.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame that the option won't be there for folks who like to curate a collection. That said, unless you're on a 75" screen or bigger, with an absolutely baller sound setup, any difference you see between UHD and iTunes 4K is likely placebo. If you're just rocking a $1200 4K TV and sound bar, you'd need to pause and pixel peep like a madman to notice any difference. But this does suck for people who like to build a physical collection

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans
Ten years ago I didn't think I'd be switching from physical to digital at any point in the near future, but the ease of use and quality of Netflix has made me more than satisfied with digital content. I've seen so much content that looks better than any Blu-ray release I own.

I was disappointed when Sony announced that the PS4 Pro wouldn't include a UHD drive back in 2016, but since then the only release I've considered buying in 4k isn't even out yet (Lord of the Rings).

The main disappointment I've had with streaming is that certain services (HBO!) have terrible black levels. Also, some services fail to handle fast paced scenes without macroblocking (can't recall any specific examples off-hand).

Edit:

And let's be honest, a lot of older movies have horribly out of focus scenes (Braveheart is the first that comes to mind, and I'd assume Aliens, too), because it was assumed that a lot of people wouldn't see that missing detail until well after the movies released, if ever.

Last edited:

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
Their are real issues in the world that we are dealing with like racism and COVID-19 instead you are complaining about how much Disney owns.
This is a thread about Disney though.

Hopefully they start putting out 4K films on disc again. And this doesn't bode well for the future of classics in theaters to me.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
1 we can care about more than one thing at once
2 some of the racial issues are class issues as well and class issues are caused by huge conglomerates like Disney owning so much. Paying so little to their employees and otherwise treating them like crap.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Guess what, people can focus on other things at the same time.

And this is absolutely a real world issue that is not far removed from racism.

Entertainment can no longer be owned, it can't be lent out, it can't be brought out of storage, you lease your access to it, and if that access point no longer exists, or they feel they can remove it, you no longer own what you paid for. This is systemic classism.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I swear do some of you not read? That was the entire premise of the comparison. That digital games aren't being compressed compared to their diac counter parts.

VS streaming movies are compressed video and don't even offer lossless audio of blu ray discs.

As the only comparison I was referring to was the one in my post, who are you referring to?

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
As the only comparison I was referring to was the one in my post, who are you referring to?

You're the one who jumped in calling someone's post being disingenuous when clearly everyone in this thread knows what that poster meant when it comes to quality and fidelity. Clearly, you're not reading the room with the post you made and that's why everyone is jumping on you. Do you not understand that? Why not just admit you didn't understand rather than triple down to defend your post?

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
literally *multiple* people quoted you explaining that games aren't being compressed where as movies are and that's why gamers don't care about having digital games. VS movie enthusiasts for sure care about fidelity and streaming services are not the best for video or audio fidelity.
If you don't understand that, I'm not sure how else to explain it.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're the one who jumped in calling someone's post being disingenuous when clearly everyone in this thread knows what that poster meant when it comes to quality and fidelity. Clearly, you're not reading the room with the post you made and that's why everyone is jumping on you. Do you not understand that? Why not just admit you didn't understand rather than triple down to defend your post?

I jumped in?

This started with someone responding to me.

Can you read?

literally *multiple* people quoted you explaining that games aren't being compressed where as movies are and that's why gamers don't care about having digital games. VS movie enthusiasts for sure care about fidelity and streaming services are not the best for video or audio fidelity.
If you don't understand that, I'm not sure how else to explain it.

If you still think I was talking about fidelity in the post that kicked this aside off, I'm not sure what else to say to you.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Ugh all I want is AVATAR on 4K. I feel like James would want that film to be in the best quality possible.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
I jumped in?

This started with someone responding to me.

Can you read?

Okay quadrupled down now.... Just admit you're wrong and you didn't understand. Everyone else sees that but you. The focal point of that sentence was about how you called someone's post disingenuous, not that you literally started at that point.

New002

Oct 25, 2017
If you still think I was talking about fidelity in the post that kicked this aside off, I'm not sure what else to say to you.

I'm just gonna jump in here and say maybe it's worth elaborating on exactly *why* you felt Biggersmaller's comment was extremely disingenuous, versus just stating it was, because otherwise people can't know what you were actually talking about.

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019

Only reason I tolerate digital gaming on PC is cause it's cheap as hell thanks to Steam. But I am well aware of the fact that there's no guarantee I'll retain ownership of all the games currently on my account. And it's scary as hell. Even with a lot of games on steam being DRM free and/or being completely functional without internet access.

This all streaming future for movies, though? Fuck that entirely. And double fuck the people trying to make this a thing in the games industry as well. Stadia may have crashed and burned, but it won't be the last attempt, and eventually, they're gonna succeed. And at that point, I'll probably be done with gaming... if I'm not already.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay quadrupled down now.... Just admit you're wrong and you didn't understand. Everyone else sees that but you. The focal point of that sentence was about how you called someone's post disingenuous, not that you literally started at that point.

....What the fuck are you talking about?

I understood perfectly.

I posted in here about my general dislike for the all digital future of games, books, and movies, and people responded talking about fidelity, because ? Yay, games keep their fidelity. That's not the whole story about gaming heading towards a completely digital frontier, and you're being extremely disingenuous if you try to claim that's the only factor affecting gamer's attitudes towards abandoning discs.

It was a perfectly fine response to this thread topic.

Now quit being a dickhead.

I'm just gonna jump in here and say maybe it's worth elaborating on exactly *why* you felt Biggersmaller's comment was extremely disingenuous, versus just stating it was, because otherwise people can't know what you were actually talking about.

I feel like that's well-tread ground around here.

The all-digital/physical gaming experience aren't the same. Digital pricing remains static for significantly longer than physical games do, and you obviously (as of yet on console) can't trade in digital purchases once you're done with them.

Only reason I tolerate digital gaming on PC is cause it's cheap as hell thanks to Steam. But I am well aware of the fact that there's no guarantee I'll retain ownership of all the games currently on my account. And it's scary as hell. Even with a lot of games on steam being DRM free and/or being completely functional without internet access.

This all streaming future for movies, though? Fuck that entirely. And double fuck the people trying to make this a thing in the games industry as well. Stadia may have crashed and burned, but it won't be the last attempt, and eventually, they're gonna succeed. And at that point, I'll probably be done with gaming... if I'm not already.

Now why the fuck were you apparently the only person to understand what I was implying?

What is this, a gaming enthusiast forum?

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017

I understood perfectly.

I posted in here about my general dislike for the all digital future of games, books, and movies, and people responded talking about fidelity, because ? Yay, games keep their fidelity. That's not the whole story about gaming heading towards a completely digital frontier, and you're being extremely disingenuous if you try to claim that's the only factor affecting gamer's attitudes towards abandoning discs.

I feel like that's well-tread ground around here.

The all-digital/physical gaming experience aren't the same. Digital pricing remains static for significantly longer than physical games do, and you obviously (as of yet on console) can't trade in digital purchases once you're done with them.

Now why the fuck were you apparently the only person to understand what I was implying?

What is this, a gaming enthusiast forum?

Your original post was about being baffled by the difference in reception to digital between gamers and "cinemaphiles" and the obvious discrepancy is that one has a one has a significant difference in audiovisual fidelity and one has basically none. You even went out of your way to say "cinemaphiles" which are the type of people who are more likely to get about getting the absolute best quality too. The fidelity is the one clear factor as to why there's more pushback on one group compared to the other.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017

I understood perfectly.

Did you? Because clearly there are numerous posters having the same issue with your response and yet you seemed baffled.

Nobody is saying there aren't other issues with digital versus physical but clearly the reason why there is more push back on one front than the other is because of how the content is impacted. If digital games were having restricted textures, effects, lower resolution, etc you can bet there would be more outcry but the mere fact that digital games are identical to physical games as far as the game is concerned has a significant impact on the acceptance. You can't ignore that aspect as to why there is a difference in how the audiences of the respective mediums respond. Posting that aspect isn't being disingenuous; it's actually explaining the aspect that seems to baffle you.

Oh the irony...