• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017

In Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian, executive producer Jon Favreau invites the cast and crew to share an unprecedented look at the making of the series that quickly became a pop culture phenomenon after premiering last November. Each chapter explores a different facet of the first live-action Star Wars television show through interviews, never-before-seen footage, and roundtable conversations hosted by Favreau himself.

"Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian is an opportunity for fans of the show to take a look inside and get to see a different perspective, and perhaps a greater understanding, of how The Mandalorian came together and some of the incredibly talented contributors throughout Season One," said Favreau. "We had a great experience making the show and we're looking forward to sharing it with you."[/quote{

www.starwars.com

Go Behind the Scenes in the New Disney+ Series Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian | StarWars.com

Host Jon Favreau shares tales of the making of the live-action series, The Mandalorian starting May 4, just as Star Wars: The Clone Wars premieres its series finale.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"became a pop culture phenomenon"

isitthoughdotgif

He says as he eagerly watches this while waiting for the next season.

OP
OP
Lifejumper

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
"became a pop culture phenomenon"

isitthoughdotgif

He says as he will watch this while waiting for the next season.
images

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see something like this come to the service. Then again I enjoy BtS stuff, which probably isn't a popular stance.

Eight episodes? Christ...

One per episode of the show, shouldn't be that surprising. There's enough that went into the show in costumes, effects, sets, etc that they could fill those episodes out with focusing on each element as well.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
I quite enjoyed that clip about how they updated background compositing. Favreau has been pretty good at developing these digital techniques, feels like it's partly why he got into Jungle Book and The Lion King remakes (apart from the money).

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Show was as basic bitch level as entertainment gets, but the production design/effects/costuming/robotics etc were all aces. Definitely interested in this.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
8 episodes? Half hour episodes? I can see some in depth talks about the tech used to make three show and insight into the creative side bit that seems excessive for a single season show that isn't even that long a season.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see this as being any different than what would go into a making of Blu-ray special feature. They just changed the format and put it on their service.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Wait. Ppl are complaining about this? What lol.

Don't you guys remember the days of DVD extras? BR extras never really quite lived up them. This is pretty cool. You don't need to watch it lol.

And obviously there is no filming going on right now.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC

Don't you guys remember the days of DVD extras? BR extras never really quite lived up them. This is pretty cool. You don't need to watch it lol.

Agreed. Id love it if the first episode is more of a standalone summary and the other seven are super deep dives into the various aspects of the production.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Most DVD extras weren't exactly worth a damn unless it was a special edition or something like a Criterion Collection release.

Enthus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
We've been lacking good behind the scenes of Disney era Star Wars, except for Episode VIII. I can't wait to see this!

I just started rewatching the LOTR Appendices. They are still the gold standard of behind the scenes, and I wish other blockbusters got similar treatment.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well yeah. That's why you got the special editions.

Just saying that tossing a bunch of already existing and available promotional material into a sub menu was usually the kind of special features like 80% consisted of. Maybe some outtakes or deleted scenes or a commentary track if the cast and crew gave a shit.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope they show the future of this unreal technology.

Which D+ series are also thinking of using, maybe an appearance of other directors to see the tech, etc.
It might be fun to see some vague details about other shows.

And stuff like this:

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
User warned: Drive-by post
I just want to drop in and say that the Mandolorian was a shitty TV show.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
A docuseries with same episode count as the tv series itself. Boy the milking never ends.

what are they milking? It's not like it's being sold. If you watched the show you have a subscription. They need content to bridge the gap. The gaps are expanding due to the Coronavirus. Some people are really interested in behind the scenes documentaries and lament that the loss of physical media has made those types of behind the scenes looks more rare. I'd like to see more things like this made available.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Most DVD extras weren't exactly worth a damn unless it was a special edition or something like a Criterion Collection release.
There were some that had some really killer making-of docs. Blade Runner's BTS doc, Dangerous Days, was is one favorite of mine. Apocalypse Now's Hearts of Darkness is another. That kind of stuff is more the exception than the rule of course, but when it's there, it can be really fascinating stuff. And Star Wars has a handful of these too, like Empire of Dreams, The Beginning, The Director and Jedi.

This actually reminds me most of Doctor Who Confidential, which - back in its heyday - paired every single episode of Doctor Who with a 40-minute behind-the-scenes. There's just genuinely a lot to show and discuss on productions as complex as Doctor Who or Star Wars.