• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Five years?? How does time move so fast.
giphy.gif

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
5 years already. Christ, where is time going?

Anyway, it's still my favorite film of the CGI Renaissance thus far.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
One of most favorite movies of the last 10 years.

Wish they make a sequel but there's a TV series coming right?

JustJavi

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Haven't checked if my son likes this one or not. So far, he is all about Moana. I've tried Toy Story but it didn't entertained him too much.

Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
Haven't checked if my son likes this one or not. So far, he is all about Moana. I've tried Toy Story but it didn't entertained him too much.

Probably not the case, but this made me wonder if the whole plot point of toys coming to life has less appeal to kids these days cause of them getting access to technology earlier and potentially playing less with toys as a result.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My favorite Zootopia story I've ever heard via reddit:

The other night I decided to watch Zootopia on Netflix after hearing it was a pretty good movie. And it was, I haven't laughed so hard at a film in a while. What I thought was really funny was how it was narrated as if it were some sort of Animal Planet documentary. Some of the lines spoken were so matter-of-fact, direct, obvious, etc. that I completely lost it several times.

As it turns out, I accidentally turned on Audio Description somehow.

I've always meant to watch Zootopia in animal documentary mode.

Dec 11, 2017
My 3 year old is obsessed. "Try Everything" is her favourite tune. The sloths make her absolutely crack up. Great film.

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the film so much that it started making me question whether or not I was a furry. For now I consider myself furry-adjacent.

Anyway, if you liked Zootopia and want more like it, I recommend checking out Beastars. Just...maybe don't watch it with kids.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
I always wondered if they didn't make a sequel to this because of the whole, y'know... cop thing.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't Disneyland Shanghai getting a full park area dedicated to this? That'll be great.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the film so much that it started making me question whether or not I was a furry. For now I consider myself furry-adjacent.

Anyway, if you liked Zootopia and want more like it, I recommend checking out Beastars. Just...maybe don't watch it with kids.
Haha, I think Zootopia and Beastars are two different animals (pun intended.) I would consider Beastars more appropriately compared to Blacksad in terms of tone, and even then it has no real strong political metaphors as either Blacksad or Zootopia. It's in its own little niche of generalized anime drama.

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Florida
Why the fuck is everyone celebrating this now? Did ya'll forget about the kneelings, the shot autistic people, Breonna Taylor?

I mean people can enjoy things. And I'm not saying you're wrong but why invoke a Black woman's name whom was made a victim of this racist ass country? You could've made your point without doing that. There was no need to do this AT ALL

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I mean people can enjoy things. And I'm not saying you're wrong but why invoke a Black woman's name whom was made a victim of this racist ass country? You could've made your point without doing that. There was no need to do this
Yep. Imagine me having to remember that nonsense in a thread about a fucking cartoon about a fox and a rabbit solving a crime.

Shit like this doesn't help.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I love this film, one of Disney's best.

Im surprised there hasn't been a sequel yet, this movie did a billion dollars in the box office. Like not even in production.

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
User Banned (2 Months): Condescending and Dismissive Commentary Towards a Minority Member
I mean people can enjoy things. And I'm not saying you're wrong but why invoke a Black woman's name whom was made a victim of this racist ass country? You could've made your point without doing that. There was no need to do this AT ALL
She was a woman who was a decorated officer and yet got shot in her own home without a warrant or suspected crime anyways. She is the poster woman for the failure of the police system, that's like asking someone to not talk about Jesus when the topic is "religious martyrs". And her life is a portent for every person in America, black or not; how you can serve the system and get NOTHING for it, how the idea of being a good citizen and working hard is a myth made solely for keeping the unprivileged acting "civil" as meanwhile the privileged discard it upon any racist, classist, or stress-relieving whim that their mood fancies.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
For some reason, I thought it was older.
Like 2012 or something.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly shocked they haven't announced a second one yet

Starring police as protagonists? I don't think Disney is that clueless as to announce a sequel, but i'll probably be proven wrong.

The movie is literally using the word "utopia" in the title!

its called zootropolis in my region lol. I recall the movies themes being specifically that it is not a utopia, however clunkily it did so.

Last edited:

Shigs

Oct 31, 2017
Los Angeles
As you can tell by my avatar one of my favorite Disney movies. An amazing city the animation team designed, lots of great humor, dialogue and a great, moral lesson along with two leads with great chemistry together. Sucks the TV series is going to be about the side characters and not as much Nick and Judy.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
Yea I saw they had a 5 year anniversary pin on shopDisney. Not one of my favorites but it's a solid film.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A modern classic for me, it's really inventive in so many ways visually and that's on top of telling this hybrid woke-noir plot.

I kind of doubt it ever sees a sequel though. I'd love for it to dive into institutional racism or expand on the dropped shock collar plot line from the first film. The prospect of doing either sounds like an incredible tight wire walk to get right though.

EDIT: I also wanted to add that there hasn't been a Disney film since that's featured two leads with more chemistry than Nick and Judy from Zootopia. It's clever as fuck that they even weave the cute thing with the carrot pen into the main plot at the end.

Last edited: