• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
Not even a page in and the false outrage is everywhere, jesus Era. This would of happened no matter who bought Fox - and make no mistake, someone was gonna buy Fox. Save us and yourselves some time here and just copy and paste 'I don't like Disney' into each one of these new threads rather than pretending to care about these people.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Glad we can use the loss of people livelyhoods to bitch about nerds

Still terrible for the people being made redundant

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Dude, you're on a video game forum. lol

This is like getting mad about people talking about working out on forum.bodybuilding.

The MCU stuff is tame. You see the gaming side?

So you admit that it's wrong to guilt trip people?

Not at all. Fox was always going down but people cheer for distruiption in the lives of thousands for cape movies.

Bunch of defensive Disney fans in here. You know who you support.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
Honestly, I just get tired of seeing Disney worship and Era lapping up corporate art non stop. MCU isn't some great cultural work, neither is star wars, let it go.

Doesn't have to be a great cultural work for people to enjoy the hell out of something, or see some childhood favorite
characters brought to the big screen in a pretty big way.

It sucks that people are getting laid off. I hope that they're able to find work really quickly, and I hope that they get assistance finding new jobs/meaty severance pay.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Not even a page in and the false outrage is everywhere, jesus Era. This would of happened no matter who bought Fox - and make no mistake, someone was gonna buy Fox. Save us and yourselves some time here and just copy and paste 'I don't like Disney' into each one of these new threads rather than pretending to care about these people.

People care about people losing these jobs, it's not that they have petty reasons like hating Di-
Honestly, I just get tired of seeing Disney worship and Era lapping up corporate art non stop. MCU isn't some great cultural work, neither is star wars, let it go.

Never mind.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone does it though, not just Era. All these Disney owned franchises have a ton of fans.
I personally have a lot of reasons as to why I don't like the NFL and NBA but I get nothing out of being angry about it considering how many fans there are and how little I can do about it to change it. At this point I'm just annoyed about being annoyed.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Why does this happen in mergers?
Essentially employees end up irrelevant ot redundant because there would overlap of duties between multiple employees that can be accomplished with fewer employees for certain duties

especially since Disney and fox are media companies Disney likely already has people they trust that can do the job that they don't need the fox employees for

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe just MAYBE giant corporations shouldn't be allowed mergers this large to begin with

Even if the merger was blocked, given that FOX made the move to sell, do you think FOX would just continue to operate as normal and not attempt to divest of everything associated with the Marvel sale in different ways? MORE people would stand to lose their jobs if FOX just shuttered a bunch of movie and TV operations because they no longer want to deal with them.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
The government shouldn't be able to stop a merger simply because people will lose jobs. If Fox no longer wants to be in this business, the government can't force them to keep their IP.

Governments are supposed to stop a merger if it creates a monopoly.

This does not create a monopoly.
It does not create a monopoly in the traditional sense, but it only gives Disney further power to punish and bully the Theatre industry, and making them significantly larger than any other competition. It's like saying AT&T buying Verizon is okay since it isn't a monopoly but will absolutely fucking crush any smaller entity.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
The MCU stuff is tame. You see the gaming side?

Not at all. Fox was always going down but people cheer for distruiption in the lives of thousands for cape movies.

Bunch of defensive Disney fans in here. You know who you support.
Lmao, I'm not even a disney fan. I don't like new star wars. I only have watched zootopia recently of those. I like a majority of the mcu, but I don't worship disney. I don't even know if I want to follow the mcu post end game because of james gunn gone. So it seems like you have a vendetta.

Deleted member 36493

Dec 19, 2017
Essentially employees end up irrelevant ot redundant because there would overlap of duties between multiple employees that can be accomplished with fewer employees for certain duties

especially since Disney and fox are media companies Disney likely already has people they trust that can do the job that they don't need the fox employees for
I see. Is it possible for new jobs to get created as a result of the merger?

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Glad you see my posts from on top of your high horse up there.

Lap it up Disney fans. I've made my statement.
I'm on my high horse while you're over here trying to shit on the MCU and Star Wars and people you deem "Disney Fans"? I'm not sure how that works but okay.

fhqwhgads

Oct 28, 2017
And yet there's so many users on here who love to cheer-lead mega corporations and don't care about the short and long term affects of causing monopolies to grow.

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Comcast acquired Fox, there would be job cuts because Comcast is a media company already, they own NBCUniversal.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017

Glad you see my posts from on top of your high horse up there.

Lap it up Disney fans. I've made my statement.

Oh, this is rich. The poster on his high horse about Marvel and Star Wars not being "great cultural works" and how peoples' excitement about escapist fiction exhausts them, is accusing someone else of looking down on them.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Oh, no doubt that I have a vendetta. Got a ton of shit in the old fox Comcast vs disney threads, ignore list still active from those times. 🙂

Still classy Einchy....

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Sure I was, I give them a pass bc it's mostly an fx project.

Here comes the brigade. Era classy af digging into post histories and "exposing" people.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
It does not create a monopoly in the traditional sense, but it only gives Disney further power to punish and bully the Theatre industry, and making them significantly larger than any other competition. It's like saying AT&T buying Verizon is okay since it isn't a monopoly but will absolutely fucking crush any smaller entity.

That isn't the same thing. AT&T and Verizon merging would be a massive issue, far beyond Disney getting Fox IP. Terrible comparison.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/studio/?view=company&view2=yearly&yr=2018&p=.htm

Fox IP will give them a boost in market share depending on the year and what is released (for example, X-Men and FF films will simply replace Iron Man, Cap, etc. -- they won't be additional movies coming out on top of Disney's other Marvel films each year) but I do not believe it would lead to anything worse than what we see here.

Fox's IPs are not going to give them anything close to the boost that Marvel and Star Wars did. X-Men will be folded into Marvel and offset other franchises that are leaving. There's really just Avatar and we'll still be waiting to see how the world responds to those sequels (which will likely just replace Star Wars films in certain years, which Disney is cutting back on).

It is absolutely not a monopoly.

ghostmind

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, it's like some of you have never stepped foot in the real world before. I've been cut three times before in my career due to mergers/acquisitions. It happens and you deal with it. Snide comments on superhero movies and their fans makes you look childish.

Oct 31, 2017
This is par for the course to reduce overhead. Do you want 10 Directors per department doing the exact same job getting paid 250K base + ESPP + Performance based RSUs + Performance base cash incentives?

It also fails to mention that New Disney will add a plethora of jobs in other areas such as DSS, but I digress.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Sure I was, I give them a pass bc it's mostly an fx project.

Here comes the brigade. Era classy af digging into post histories and "exposing" people.
I didn't dig through your post history, I posted in that thread.

You even replied to me.
I was wondering what inspired this thread and then I saw the X-Men thread.
The best part was while I was raging against nothing I was battling on Hardforum like a fool.

I lost and next I'm going incognito for both places.

You realize you're just doing it all over again, right? You admitted in this thread you have a vendetta against Disney.

Like, I dunno, maybe don't have a vendetta against a company and people who like their products? You're raging against nothing.