• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Damn she's beautiful. Good casting.

Her first album cover with the mermaid tail is kind of crazy.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
The actress fits the part. She looks great.

My rant, however, has nothing to do with the casting but rather why Disney continues to make these "real life" copies of their classic animated movies. Have ideas stalled that much to where you have to remake every single one of your classic films into a live action one? I have yet to see a single one that comes anywhere near topping the original animated versions. These are lazy cash grabs. How about they go back to the drawing board (literally) and give us an original hand drawn animated film. You know, the reason you exist as a company to begin with.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Still wondering how they're gonna make her hair not look like a soggy mess every scene. As a kid you don't notice the fact that Ariel has fucking flowing hair 100% of the time even under water and it never makes damn sense.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still wondering how they're gonna make her hair not look like a soggy mess every scene. As a kid you don't notice the fact that Ariel has fucking flowing hair 100% of the time even under water and it never makes damn sense.

Have you seen Aquaman? That movie reminded me of TLM at several points, it was gorgeous underwater. Mera pretty much looked like a real life version of Ariel in that film as well.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She's cute, think it would be a fit.

Also STOKED at the thought of some people getting pissed over it.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
My first choice would've been Sophia Lilis based on looks alone,but she can't sing afaik.
Halle Bailey seems like a good choice so far,her hair looks gorgeous in that pic.

Deleted member 5127

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have not, actually that's a good point should watch that to get an idea of it.

It was a pretty good movie, with a good soundtrack and gorgeous visuals. Looked pretty cool how they handled the underwater stuff, including the hair. Disney should be very afraid of this film, it needs to look at least as gorgeous.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017

My rant, however, has nothing to do with the casting but rather why Disney continues to make these "real life" copies of their classic animated movies. Have ideas stalled that much to where you have to remake every single one of your classic films into a live action one? I have yet to see a single one that comes anywhere near topping the original animated versions. These are lazy cash grabs. How about they go back to the drawing board (literally) and give us an original hand drawn animated film. You know, the reason you exist as a company to begin with.
Indeed. Hollywood is creatively bankrupt across the board. Too afraid to do anything original now and it's sad to see the trend accelerating.

Deleted member 5127

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's a nostalgia cash grab and a lot of people like it, including me. It's pretty cool to see cartoons translated to real life and seeing the small changes in the story and what they add to it.

You'd have a point if this was all they did. But they've been making plenty of new IPs like Frozen, Moana, Wreck it Ralph, etc.

Complaining about these things just always struck me as complaining for the sake of it.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Indeed. Hollywood is creatively bankrupt across the board. Too afraid to do anything original now and it's sad to see the trend accelerating.
Why are we expecting originality from a company that made its name off the back of the public domain and small-time children's books? Seriously, the original Little Mermaid is based off a Hans Christian Andersen fable. =/

Antoo

May 1, 2019
Hollywood isn't one giant entity and there have been a consistent stream of new and original films (Booksmart, Late Night, Midsommar, etc.) releasing this summer. Where are you guys when these movies bomb or underperform?

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Hollywood isn't one giant entity and there have been a consistent stream of new and original films (Booksmart, Late Night, Midsommar, etc.) releasing this summer. Where are you guys when these movies bomb or underperform?
When I say "Hollywood" I'm referring to the big studios like WB, Universal, etc. Those movies you listed are distributed from A24, Annapurna, and Amazon, all of which operate pretty far outside the traditional Hollywood system. I support nearly everything A24 and Annapurna put out and they've been two very bright spots in a sea of crap.

I wasn't trying to imply there's nothing original out there anymore, but it's fewer and farther between nowadays than it was in the past. Particularly when it comes to backing from the big studios. Amazon and Netflix gaining prominence is good news for more original content and I hope they can produce a steady output as time goes on.

Oct 25, 2017
Come on, we all know the only suitable person for Triton should be this handsome brother:

CvrIEKv.png

Edit: And yeah, add me to the list of people who also thought it was Halle Berry who had been cast.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
all the disney live action remakes have been pretty mediocre - Beauty and The Beast, Dumbo, Pete's Dragon, Aladdin - so not really expecting greatness here. They mostly make good money though so not a real surprise and I'd expect them to continue to crank these out and 90% of them just to be meh average.

In a decade or so I'd be more interested to hear what kids love to rewatch over and over, the live actions or the cartoons. I know my daughters growing up loved to watch Frozen like every freaking day.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
When I say "Hollywood" I'm referring to the big studios like WB, Universal, etc. Those movies you listed are distributed from A24, Annapurna, and Amazon, all of which operate pretty far outside the traditional Hollywood system. I support nearly everything A24 and Annapurna put out and they've been two very bright spots in a sea of crap.

I wasn't trying to imply there's nothing original out there anymore, but it's fewer and farther between nowadays than it was in the past. Particularly when it comes to backing from the big studios. Amazon and Netflix gaining prominence is good news for more original content and I hope they can produce a steady output as time goes on.
It's the summer? This is the season where big studios traditionally release crowdpleasers. Anyways, next week we have Crawl and Stuber.

Deleted member 55568

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
It's completely reasonable that the largest budgets are going to be attached to the surest bets. And the fresh, original movies that come out of the independent space wouldn't even benefit from the things that an Endgame-level budget buys you. Bong Joon-ho doesn't need a $300 million budget or a wide release. He gets the money he needs and the audience that would like his work finds it.

itwasTuesday

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I hope she cuts the heart out of the prince's chest so she doesn't have to turn to sea foam. Your 8 year old won't see that coming.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wtf? Just saw it today. Sad to see this after the good job they did with Alladin. Glad I'm not that fan of little mermaid.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017

Honestly, my wife and I didn't get half way through Beauty and the Beast. Lion king and Aladdin trailers did nothing for me at all. I can only imagine they are doing it because its guaranteed money.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I genuinely hope she doesn't let these goons detract from her high of landing this role. She's going to be a huge role model for a new generation of kids.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 week): Trolling, Inflammatory false equivalency, account still in its junior phase.
You make one of those easy cash movies focusing on nostalgia to one generation and then you don't even try to be faithful to the main character. What message are you passing to the target audience?

I mean, you're Disney. You can make new inclusive stuff and people will love it as they already do. As a Ghost in the Shell fan I can empathize with people being mad about changing Ariel ethnicity. Except for the mob of outrageous people on internet.

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
You make one of those easy cash movies focusing on nostalgia to one generation and then you don't even try to be faithful to the main character. What message are you passing to the target audience?
That Ariel's ethnicity has zero impact on the character and story and, as such, well known classic characters can be represented by people of different colors, which can be much more powerful representation wise than creating a new character.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah

I mean, you're Disney. You can make new inclusive stuff and people will love it as they already do. As a Ghost in the Shell fan I can empathize with people being mad about changing Ariel ethnicity. Except for the mob of outrageous people on internet.
Aquaman was a white cartoon character and now he's played by a mixed race character and does an absolutely fantastic job at it.

There is no rule that a character has to stay the same when getting a remake or reimagining.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Lol, the blu-ray.com thread got locked because the mods over there let the racist loons run wild.

It used to be a great place to discuss movies, but now it's all about click-throughs so no one gets banned for anything short of screaming the N-word. They just close threads instead of eliminating the trolls.

Place is as toxic as G*f now.

Halle's a great choice, but I'm sure it won't be long until the neckbeards drive her off social media.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017

The situation would be equally bad in a world without context but we do not live in that world.

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
I do have sympathy for redheads with this casting; anecdotally my sister growing up was pretty badly bullied over her red-hair and she liked Ariel because she had a very similar hair-color. It does seem like Hollywood likes to re-cast female red-heads as POC for some reason. Although, I admit; I can't think of too many classic movies with non-red-head female leads that are not rom-coms or horror movies, aside from Disney movies.

And Of course, I'm pretty sure that most people complaining are dog-whistling. (I tried to google it to see if it's just me or not, and oh-dear-god the racism.)

Side Note:
Since I'm thinking about it, I'd like to see Aurora or Snow White cast as POC.

Deleted member 55568

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Side Note:
Since I'm thinking about it, I'd like to see Aurora or Snow White cast as POC.
I mean, it would be weird to have a character named Snow White who isn't pale as fuck.

I don't know that Disney would bother with that one anyway, since Universal did two live action Snow White movies in the past decade.

Crazyorloco

Dec 12, 2017
I'm fine with this Ariel. Just give us a great movie already Disney.

I agree completely. Give us quality. These remakes are decent to bad. Pretty movies with ok acting/poor singing. Lion king looks to be the next victim. Great original movies like inside out, come every 5-10 years now.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Lol, the blu-ray.com thread got locked because the mods over there let the racist loons run wild.

It used to be a great place to discuss movies, but now it's all about click-throughs so no one gets banned for anything short of screaming the N-word. They just close threads instead of eliminating the trolls.

Place is as toxic as G*f now.

Halle's a great choice, but I'm sure it won't be long until the neckbeards drive her off social media.
Tell that to the member who got banned for calling out their racist BS without resorting to slurs. You're right, though, that more and more that place in starting to resemble G*f. If it wasn't so damn difficult to find a dedicated blu ray/movie discussion forum anymore that isn't dominated by incel scum, I'd stop giving them clicks.