• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
That's how Twitter works, that's how every thing gets to trend.

I just can't believe that there are a lot of people upset at this.
Define "a lot". It's a vocal minority, like most things on Twitter. Again, part of why I think Twitter is toxic as hell: it gives fringe view points a lot of attention and eyes.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
[
Define "a lot". It's a vocal minority, like most things on Twitter. Again, part of why I think Twitter is toxic as hell: it gives fringe view points a lot of attention and eyes.
I'm not trying to have a debate about what "a lot" means but 31k people is a lot of people. But 31k people in the grand scheme of things won't have an impact on this movies box office.

Jlynn

Nov 6, 2017
I'm here for Halle Bailey as Ariel. Disney saw how much Black Panther made each week during its run and well, wanted more.

And I too, would love to see Idris Elba as King Triton.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
She'll be great, assuming they do the red hair. That's an iconic part of the character.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She has a great face to be the new Ariel. As with any singer, I'm always worried about the new cover of Disney's songs.

Middleman

Banned
Jun 14, 2019
There definitely seem to be more people who "can't wait for the meltdowns" than people actually melting down.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If Disney keeps insisting on realistic looking animal sidekicks, Sebastian and Flounder are going to be super weird

k9qm1aV.jpg

6iHu6h5.jpg

tenor.gif

theBmZ

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I didn't even think about Zendaya, she would have been awesome. I'm not familiar with Bailey as a singer or her talents as an actress, but I've got an open mind about it. I'm more concerned about McCarthy as Ursula. Really not a fan of her.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It's actually weird cos like I've seen a few p liberal friends of mine complain about this openly, and none of the usual suspects have complained. Is Little Mermaid some sort of progressive paradox
I honestly think most people just don't give a shit, even on the right.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
It's actually weird cos like I've seen a few p liberal friends of mine complain about this openly, and none of the usual suspects have complained. Is Little Mermaid some sort of progressive paradox

Most people recognize that this type of film can succeed regardless of the race of the main cast. If she can sing and act, who fucking cares? That should be the thought process. There's nothing weird about it.

There shouldn't be any outrage beyond disney purists. The people "expecting meltdowns" seem to be the only ones with an agenda here.

Sep 3, 2018
There definitely seem to be more people who "can't wait for the meltdowns" than people actually melting down.
Most people recognize that this type of film can succeed regardless of the race of the main cast.
The people "expecting meltdowns" seem to be the only ones with an agenda here.
It only takes five seconds to check the replies on any tweet announcing the decision (or any comment section in an article related to it) to see that this is not the case and it's weird to downplay it like this.

It's a real problem whether you've personally seen it or not.

Middleman

Banned
Jun 14, 2019
It only takes five seconds to check the replies on any tweet announcing the decision (or any comment section in an article related to it) to see that this is not the case and it's weird to downplay it like this.

It's a real problem whether you've personally seen it or not.
No not really. There are a bunch of shitty people out there, yes, but the replies to any tweet are by far more heavily weighted towards mocking the potential outcry as opposed to genuinely bitching about it.

Oct 27, 2017
Most people recognize that this type of film can succeed regardless of the race of the main cast. If she can sing and act, who fucking cares? That should be the thought process. There's nothing weird about it.

There shouldn't be any outrage beyond disney purists. The people "expecting meltdowns" seem to be the only ones with an agenda here.

I'm more frustrated that they keep giving Rob Marshall work. He makes me skeptical about the final product. I mean just about the majority of the guys output is mediocrity.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine having a black wolverine who started off as a slave hundreds of years ago and lived through the civil war till now. That rich history to tap on and the ability to talk about racism from then till now and how the core of it hasn't actually changed, just the packaging.
Black Cyclops ended the Civil War in 2 weeks
latest

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018

Someone's forgetting the reaction to Star Wars: The Force Awakens/The Last Jedi, Ghost Busters (2016), Black Panther and Captain Marvel. Racist Disney fans, and racist in general, will flip out at this casting.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like great casting.

I rrally hope they get a Drag Queen to play Ursula, given that she was based on Divine.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Love it when idiots try to use logic to explain their racism.

A half-human, half-fish I can accept, but dark skin color in the ocean? NOT POSSIBLE.
Doesn't make sense anyway. Due the limited amount of light and the predators and prey that roam the deeper parts of the sea being darker and reflecting less light would have probably been beneficial in the evolution of mermaids.

Why the fuck am I even taking this shit seriously.

MidweekCoyote

Mar 23, 2018
Beautiful lungs on this girl, my goodness. That and her acting ability is what will be most important.

The only single reason the race thing would bother me is if there was an objectively better singer/actor who got shafted in order to cast a black lead. I can't imagine this is the case though.

Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
As someone with actually ginger hair, I am gutted they've chosen someone without natural ginger hair to play Ariel. She was probably the most iconic ginger haired person growing up.

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
She has an INCREDIBLE voice, I totally get Ursula's motivation now that Halle Bailey was cast.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine having a black wolverine who started off as a slave hundreds of years ago and lived through the civil war till now. That rich history to tap on and the ability to talk about racism from then till now and how the core of it hasn't actually changed, just the packaging.

Wolverine is Canadian

Him helping with the underground railroad on the Canadian side would be cool though

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
So are they going to change the story at all or is it basically just going to be a carbon copy of the animation. Woman silenced for a man's love doesn't play as well today as it did once before.

Palantiri

Oct 25, 2017
So are they going to change the story at all or is it basically just going to be a carbon copy of the animation. Woman silenced for a man's love doesn't play as well today as it did once before.

Hopefully they change the story somewhat, but really virtually all of it is problematic.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I hope they're not gonna change it based on what's gonna play well or not, in the original her tongue got cut off and she dies in the end. And that's not the only part of it, she also was fascinated by humans and wanted to be one badly. They're probably gonna tone down her crush on Eric a bit, but it wouldn't fit to remove him.

Doran

Jun 9, 2018

I am half hoping for this one it isn't a carbon copy and they do a modern retelling with just similarities to the original. (animation not story)

They made good changes to Jasmines character in Aladdin I am expecting something similar.