• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
I find it interesting when they turned Aquaman, popular character that has been White for over 50 years in pop culture, into Polynesian, it seemed like everyone was ok with that. No purists coming out of the woodwork going "Not my Arthur Curry!" or anything. The first time Aquaman is depicted in a live action film and he's not a, blonde haired, blue-eyed White guy, and people just shrugged their shoulders and went "cool".

I guess someone will bring up that Aquaman has always been considered lame, but even D+ list characters like Hiemdall got salty reactions when they were race swapped.

To be fair, while it was really cool that they cemented his Polynesian heritage by casting Temuera Morrison as his father, Jason Momoa himself doesn't always come off immediately and obviously as non-white. Also, what with Polynesians' deep ties to seafaring, it makes it a lot harder to argue that it isn't thematically appropriate. Not that the casting of a minority needs to have some sort of narrative justification, just that the casting was kind of bulletproof in that regard.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't sure at first, IMO Zendaya has a face that's closer to the cartoon Ariel. But after seeing that pic with red hair and hearing her sing, I'm down for it.

Deleted member 27246

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
These meltdowns are awesome!
The girl looks great and can sing. Like many others I also read Halle Berry btw.

giphy.gif

Is 'black people can't swim' a stereotype in the US? Because I have never heard that one before.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Maybe someone has brought this up (I just skimmed), but I guess that means her six sisters, and of course her father, will be black too? That would be pretty cool.
I just hope Triton is disgusting levels of shredded.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The official facebook account of my country's Comic-Con is being shorta racist right now. Smh

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Love it when idiots try to use logic to explain their racism.

A half-human, half-fish I can accept, but dark skin color in the ocean? NOT POSSIBLE.

I mean it's a fantasy about mermaids and sea witches. They don't need to, and probably shouldn't, rationalize or explain anything at all. If they felt compelled to have an in universe explanation for it, I would just make it so that Ariel is unique because she spends so much of her time on the surface that her skin has changed and adapted to the sunlight. Maybe have that be one of the things that tips off Triton.

Serenity

Mar 3, 2018
Is 'black people can't swim' a stereotype in the US? Because I have never heard that one before.

Thanks mate. Then I understand why that poster was quoted so often haha.

I just wanted to say something about this. There may be some credence to the idea that "black people are less likely to swim".

White Americans have a fear about being in pool water with blacks. They seem to feel that we infect it or something. Or maybe they just hate seeing us have fun. Regardless, historically, particularly during the Jim Crow era, AA's have been denied entry/access into public pools. Even after Jim Crow ended, they just started "private pools" and denied us access that way.

Take financial disparities into account, black parents are less likely to be paying for swimming classes for their kids, or to own a private backyard pool.

The urban/suburban/rural divide also means that African Americans are less likely to live near large bodies of water.

And of course, if your parents don't know how to swim, you are less likely to, as are your children, and so on and so fourth.

So, of course blacks can swim. They probably swim less than whites in this country, but that has nothing to do with some innate quality.

Of course, anyone citing this stereotype in critique of this movie would be doing so for reasons outside of their views on athletic potential!

Deleted member 27246

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I just wanted to say something about this. There may be some credence to the idea that "black people are less likely to swim".

White Americans have a fear about being in pool water with blacks. They seem to feel that we infect it or something. Or maybe they just hate seeing us have fun. Regardless, historically, particularly during the Jim Crow era, AA's have been denied entry/access into public pools. Even after Jim Crow ended, they just started "private pools" and denied us access that way.

Take financial disparities into account, black parents are less likely to be paying for swimming classes for their kids, or to own a private backyard pool.

The urban/suburban/rural divide also means that African Americans are less likely to live near large bodies of water.

And of course, if your parents don't know how to swim, you are less likely to, as are your children, and so on and so fourth.

So, of course blacks can swim. They probably swim less than whites in this country, but that has nothing to do with some innate quality.

Of course, anyone citing this stereotype in critique of this movie would be doing so for reasons outside of their views on athletic potential!

Fucking tragic :(

Your story reminds me of a horrible picture I saw a while ago. Some racist cunt throwing acid or something in a pool where black people were swimming

edit: This picture

Motel%2Bmanager%2Bpouring%2Bacid%2Bin%2Bthe%2Bwater%2Bwhen%2Bblack%2Bpeople%2Bswam%2Bin%2Bhis%2Bpool%252C%2B1964.jpg

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I don't like these live action remakes but that casting seems like fun. Unlike some people I don't look forward to the meltdowns because she will probably suffer the brunt of it. I don't get any joy at all seeing raging alt- right racists attack anything.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I mean, look at Halle on the cover of their debut album (2016/17):

Nqa2Tgr.jpg

T'was meant to be.

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Not a fan of Disney remaking everything under the sun, but I will admit I was very excited to see Halle Berry as Ariel

Deleted member 5359

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The people who are bothered by a PoC being cast as Ariel are so pathetic... I don't even have the words for them.

"Disney just shot themselves in the flipper. I don't know how much the rest of you know about mermaid culture (I'm an expert)"

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, while it was really cool that they cemented his Polynesian heritage by casting Temuera Morrison as his father, Jason Momoa himself doesn't always come off immediately and obviously as non-white. Also, what with Polynesians' deep ties to seafaring, it makes it a lot harder to argue that it isn't thematically appropriate. Not that the casting of a minority needs to have some sort of narrative justification, just that the casting was kind of bulletproof in that regard.
Eh, I think his ethnicity stands out imo. Either way, as fickle and strict as comic book fans are, at the end of the day he doesn't look like the Aquaman that everybody knows that has been present in 50+ years of media. I didn't hear or see anyone moan or cry about it.

and yeah it's true that Aquaman makes sense as Poly given the ties, but you can make a similar case for Ariel and the Caribbean.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I mean it's a fantasy about mermaids and sea witches. They don't need to, and probably shouldn't, rationalize or explain anything at all. If they felt compelled to have an in universe explanation for it, I would just make it so that Ariel is unique because she spends so much of her time on the surface that her skin has changed and adapted to the sunlight. Maybe have that be one of the things that tips off Triton.

I'd rather her whole family be black or go full Roger & Hammerstein's Cinderella and have the whole family be a variety of ethnicities

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
As a redhead it kinda sucks but more representation for PoC ends up being an overall positive in my mind so I cant be too miffed about it.

I think a black wolverine would be really cool. They would have a much easier time distancing themselves from Hugh Jackmans portrayal than another white guy would.

Imagine having a black wolverine who started off as a slave hundreds of years ago and lived through the civil war till now. That rich history to tap on and the ability to talk about racism from then till now and how the core of it hasn't actually changed, just the packaging.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If Disney keeps insisting on realistic looking animal sidekicks, Sebastian and Flounder are going to be super weird

k9qm1aV.jpg

6iHu6h5.jpg

Last edited:

Big Hoops

Alt account
Banned
May 6, 2019
White girls loved Ariel's dumb ass. This is all so delicious. Hopefully Bailey's Ariel will be less of a moron

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Funny how I bumped into one guy arguing that since it's based on greek mythos it should be white. I mean, the original siren myth is about a bird with woman face, but that doesn't matter it seems

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 week): Excusing racism
Fucking tragic :(

Your story reminds me of a horrible picture I saw a while ago. Some racist cunt throwing acid or something in a pool where black people were swimming

edit: This picture

Motel%2Bmanager%2Bpouring%2Bacid%2Bin%2Bthe%2Bwater%2Bwhen%2Bblack%2Bpeople%2Bswam%2Bin%2Bhis%2Bpool%252C%2B1964.jpg
There's 5 people in the picture. 3 black, 2 white. So how do you know the guy is being racist? Or that's its acid and not chlorine or something?