• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gob Bluth

Banned
Jun 21, 2019
User banned (permanent): trolling, account in junior phase
As I saw on Tumblr, and I agree, Ariel as a character isn't really defined by her whiteness. Princess Tiana, on the other hand, is defined by her race. Mulan is also a Disney Princess defined by her race. Pocahontas is also a Disney Princess defined by her race.

With that reasoning, Sam Wilson (Falcon) or Rhodey (War Machine) could absolutely be cast with white actors, right?

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
D-k94srWwAErpYf.jpg:large
Sold! She looks fantastic with the red hair, and apparently she's a fucking great singer too.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
No joke I thought it was Halle Berry when I clicked on the title. "Halle Berry Singer, wut?" lol.

Bold choice from Disney, but I like it.

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
My 33 year old friend is mad about this and can't seem to clue in to the fact that this movie isn't being made for 33 year old's in 2019.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cool casting, was hoping for Zendaya though.

So..is her father going to be black too? I hope they commit to this fully.

This is something I've been wondering about since the Zendaya rumors began, and if they'll even address it, since it's a fantasy film about mermaids and sea witches. They live in the deep ocean with very little exposure to sunlight, and shouldn't have melanin. I'm wondering if the reason why Ariel does is because she spends so much time on the surface obsessing over the human world, and maybe her darker skin is one of the things that tips her father off.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Cool casting, was hoping for Zendaya though.

This is something I've been wondering about since the Zendaya rumors began, and if they'll even address it, since it's a fantasy film about mermaids and sea witches. They live in the deep ocean with very little exposure to sunlight, and shouldn't have melanin. I'm wondering if the reason why Ariel does is because she spends so much time on the surface obsessing over the human world, and maybe her darker skin is one of the things that tips her father off.
I mean a mermaid is literally a person with fish tails (or fish heads in some versions....). So just chalk it up to the same reason why humans have varying shades of skin color. In thier ancient past, some of them moved closer to the surface, etc. But as time went on, the different tribes mixed, etc.

Jan 10, 2018
I'm gonna quote this sort of back handedly, like I think this can both be good when it comes to diversity and representation, and still think that like, Disney doesn't have the purest intentions when they do stuff like this. Like, you should pretty much never pat a mega corporation like Disney on the back for anything. They wouldn't be doing this if it weren't profitable and if it didn't cause people on social media to basically do positive PR for them. If it were more profitable for them to cast every single person in every movie they ever made again as a white person, you better believe they would do that.
Companies like Disney basically do not ever have what's best for society as a real priority for them.

We are talking about a company which copyrighted Hakuna Matata because lol fuck black people.

And yes, they do thus casting because they see a market. They understand how to adapt, which is clearly better than nothing. Its not like they have any positive intentions in mind when they cast white hetero dude for their next movie, so why demand it here?

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
This is a genius move on all accounts, but I won't lie I was caught off guard

just the fact alone that the remakes have sucked, might as well start making them more there own thing.

this movie finally intrigues me

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never seen so many people suddenly care about Ariel. Srsly. It's like everyone's favorite movie at the same time, and it's being ruined by casting a Black actress.

Also holy shit, what a voice on this girl. Damn!

Jun 17, 2019
We are talking about a company which copyrighted Hakuna Matata because lol fuck black people.

And yes, they do thus casting because they see a market. They understand how to adapt, which is clearly better than nothing. Its not like they have any positive intentions in mind when they cast white hetero dude for their next movie, so why demand it here?
I'm uh, not demanding anything? I'm saying nobody should let this stop them being deeply and constantly skeptical of Disney. If you are, then what I'm saying doesn't apply to you. But I am already seeing people elsewhere paint Disney as being a force for social good, and that's what I'm saying is a bad thing.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never seen so many people suddenly care about Ariel. Srsly. It's like everyone's favorite movie at the same time, and it's being ruined by casting a Black actress.

Also holy shit, what a voice on this girl. Damn!
I just wish white people were this up and arms about the concentration camps tbh.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Disney have gone too far. Halle is not right for this role at all; where's her fish tail, eh?!

Apr 17, 2019
Viridia
I didn't even know a little mermaid is getting a live action :|
But hey, I really enjoyed Aladdin so maybe they're getting better with their remakes, here's to hoping.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
there's a live action little mermaid? disney kind of flubbing with these live actions. they need to get a feige type person to work exclusively on these to make them better. seems they are just throwing them out willy nilly.

Oct 27, 2017
I find it interesting when they turned Aquaman, popular character that has been White for over 50 years in pop culture, into Polynesian, it seemed like everyone was ok with that. No purists coming out of the woodwork going "Not my Arthur Curry!" or anything. The first time Aquaman is depicted in a live action film and he's not a, blonde haired, blue-eyed White guy, and people just shrugged their shoulders and went "cool".

I guess someone will bring up that Aquaman has always been considered lame, but even D+ list characters like Hiemdall got salty reactions when they were race swapped.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Don't know her, but the people getting mad about this are silly.

Not really looking forward to this though, I'm fed up with these Disney live action remakes, and especially The Little Mermaid, as there already are multiple live action adaptations of that fairy tale (though, granted, most of them probably aren't very suitable for young kids).

God the further we stray from that version the better... Lest we want to see Ariel turn to seafoam 😛 🤣
Hard disagree, the way the original fairy tale plays out is far better than Disney's neutered version where everything turns out okay and they live happily ever after.

It's not even as if the original ends all that dour. Yes, Ariel turns into foam, but she doesn't die and it's all part of the bigger message of the story: Don't be stupid and give up everything you know for some spur of the moment thing that probably won't turn out the way you want to (she hardly known The Prince and it turns out he's not actually all that good and trustworthy).

The neutering of original fairy tales' endings and messages in the Disney versions to make things "kid friendly" is one of the biggest problems I have with the way Disney handled these stories.

There are some great movies that use (a version of) the original ending. The Lure being the best I can think of.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
Wow this sure is triggering idiots, someone's édited the Little Mermaid Wikipedia page to describe her as "fair" just today

Just pathetic

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
I must be going crazy but I swear I remember them announcing casting for this like a year or so ago and people having meltdowns over them choosing a black actress then. Also I could have sworn a Little Mermaid live action movie came out like a year ago. I think my timeline of entertainment news has gotten really messed up over the last few years...

EDIT: Ah, got it. They had just been rumors when they'd said Zendaya would be playing her. I thought it had been an official announcement back then. Also apparently there was a live action Little Mermaid last year, but it was just a Netflix movie.

Last edited:

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Since when singing mattered for disney's cashrab remakes ? They auto tune all songs or did i watch different movies with B&B , Aladddin and so on

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
This is a genius move on all accounts, but I won't lie I was caught off guard

just the fact alone that the remakes have sucked, might as well start making them more there own thing.

this movie finally intrigues me
How exactly is casting a dark skinned actress a sign of the remake doing its own thing? Let's wait on the plot details. It could still be the exact same movie, but worse, which has been the case with all these remakes (except Dumbo, which was different, but still far worse).

Oct 25, 2017
I always assumed Ariel was a Jewish mermaid but this is fine :p

Halle Berry would also be good since I clearly can't read tonight lol

Halle Berry from John Wick 3 would absolutely wreck Ursula :D

Kronotech

Oct 28, 2017
Man, racists having a busy boycotting week with Nike and Disney. Meanwhile those kids sit in cages.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
She's beautiful and can sing, excellent. I'm much more worried about the side character castings, because that's where Beauty and the Beast faltered and since then they seem to be very cautious in bringing full Disney style anthropomorphic side characters into these remakes (Dumbo, Aladdin, Mulan).
If I was her agent, I tell her to change her name though....

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad they actually cast someone that can sing after what happened with Alladin. The songs in TLM are amazing.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Ariel being a singer is pretty key to The Little Mermaid, so casting a great singer was the only way to go. I've never heard of Halle Bailey, but she looks cool and she can definitely sing, so that bodes well.