• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
anigif_sub-buzz-11354-1543428630-7.gif

Congrats tho.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
I got my popcorn ready. We'll see how some of my friends react. I have the unfriend button ready.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
I read that as Halle Berry.

Same here--was even about to ask if Berry ever had singing scenes.

Not familiar with Bailey's filmography, so there's no reason to suspect she won't do great with this role--the incoming meltdowns though, hoo-boy, I'm sticking my head under the sand with this one.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Yea I'm drawing a blank tbh to really call it one
From Supergirl right
Annie, MJ, Triss, Jimmy Olsen, Starfire, now Ariel, and there are probably others I'm forgetting (because, honestly, I don't care about this sort of thing, it's just interesting to see).

I mean, it's not a runaway trend but I could see a case made to call it one, because it's an awfully specific group being recast as another specific group.

That Cinderella thing didn't bug me for the race change but I never cared for Brandy and the casting was all over the place anyway. A Filipino prince with a black mother and white father? What? Was he adopted? This on top of the step-sisters, IIRC, not looking related in the least, either.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
why it always seems that redheads are turned into black people?

lol that's true. Didn't make the connection until your comment.

I thought Zendaya would play Ariel. Anyway. I don't care for this film, as I didn't care for Aladdin.

As for the Lion King though, that's on a whole different level. Can't wait to see it.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
r so's time. They're both great games but
Ariel, MJ, Heimdall, Triss, Electro, Both Iris West, Both Joe West, Wally West, Josie (Riverdale), Hawkgirl, Jimmy Olsen, Annie, Starfire, Daredevil, Red Arrow, Miss Martian (Supergirl) and Pepper Potts, those come to mind right now because I realized this trend long ago.
Annie, MJ, Triss, Jimmy Olsen, Starfire, now Ariel, and there are probably others I'm forgetting (because, honestly, I don't care about this sort of thing, it's just interesting to see).
Jimmy Olsen, Wally West, Hawkgirl, Iris West, Little Orphan Annie... Hollywood (and the comic book industry) is coming for the redheads.

A lot of these I totally forgot about, lol very amusing

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
User warned: Inappropriate comment.
edit: this was a tasteless joke on my part, my bad.

Last edited:

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Honestly, the casting makes sense. Because if you had told me that she and her sister were originally two mermaid princesses who convinced a sea witch to give them legs, I'd have believed you. Their harmonies are some of the most ethereal live singing I've ever heard...and at their age!!!

CONGRATS YOUNG LADY!

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Bravo, Disney for casting her. I wish her luck.

And I'm loving the racists being racists.

Deleted member 13707

Account closed at user request
Oct 27, 2017
Pray for this poor woman's soul. The internet's going to eat her alive...

Don't know who she was, but I can picture the visual in my head with her in the Ariel look. Good luck to this film adaptation.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Would have preferred an actual redhead, but the pool, especially non-white redheads, is quite small. She's certainly a gifted and talented singer. Hopefully they do a decent job of it if they do go with a wig or dye job on her. Don't want another abomination like Archie from Riverdale.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Called it earlier in the week, that Zendaya wasn't getting the Ariel role. But I had also read somebody comment on social media that she had denied the Ariel casting recently in a comment herself.

I'm fine with it, since she's already been cast in my Dune.

And this Halle Bailey seems like such a cool casting, that I'm all in.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, one of the girls from Grown-ish? That's pretty cool. I didn't even know they were singers.

Mar 27, 2018
I assume this is going to be a bog standard visual remake, but I'd love for them to lean into Under the Sea's vibes and move the setting to the Caribbean. Give it a different vibe than the usual "stodgy European castle" fantasy.

It would be amazing if they set the movie in... Jamaica and had Eric be Spanish or British. Or set it in Trinidad and the Prince can be pretty much any European nationality. Incorporate some colonialist themes. Ariel is now outwardly different for reasons she can't even comprehend. Eric is infatuated with her regardless. Maybe Ariel becomes invested in the lives of the indigenous people around her that are being subjugated.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I mean... Do we know she's not going to have red hair? She could easily dye it or wear a wig. It's not as if redheads who aren't white are unheard of.

Echoing the sentiment about being happy about getting a singer. Let's not have a repeat of autotune Belle...

ninjabreadman

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
Pretty good casting, I hope this means King Tritan is also black!

Then they can cast a white guy as the privileged prince, so it all works out.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
i know its typecast as fuck but Jason Momoa would be so dope as King Triton

Zimmiwood

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, the casting makes sense. Because if you had told me that she and her sister were originally two mermaid princesses who convinced a sea witch to give them legs, I'd have believed you. Their harmonies are some of the most ethereal live singing I've ever heard...and at their age!!!

CONGRATS YOUNG LADY!

i said WOW šŸ˜­šŸ˜­šŸ˜­
could they not just change up the story to have both of these girls in the movie for more killer duets

Bass2448

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bravo, Disney for casting her. I wish her luck.

And I'm loving the racists being racists.

This is the kind of take that is just as disturbing as the ones complaining about the race change. How about we hope for a world where there are no "racists" around to be racist. You think this woman is enjoying the usual alt right fucks spamming on twitter? I don't think she finds that shit funny even if she can block it all out.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Idris Elba for the King.

The meltdowns, I expect burning of merchandise, lol.

Vee

Oct 27, 2017
Ya goofed Disney, now how will you get the highest grossing movie ever?

Christ in hell that would be the WORST timeline, but there's no way Disney would ever approve of someone with her background not to mention she's not even a damn actress. If you can't tell I can't stand this girl