• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
Hey it's worked with Star Wars in the past
star-wars-toys-kenner-early-bird-box.jpg

Made Kenner millions. Now the prequel toys also sold like mad to hoarders, resalers and fans, I remember the madness at TRU, and they are all garbage now and I'm so glad I didn't jump in. Goes to show you you need a good movie/show to go with the action figures or the value never goes up or worst it all turns to junk.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
tenor.gif

This whole hype should be about him. We waited decades for a new movie and then Star Wars decided to paint Gizmo green and people think he's the cutest thing ever.

giphy.gif

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
So, would you rather they wait to show any new content before disney+ was availible in every country on earth?

They really should have held off on launching the service until they could secure a simultaneous release in at least most of the major markets internationally. What they've done instead is make a whole lot of people feel treated like second class customers.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
They really should have held off on launching the service until they could secure a simultaneous release in at least most of the major markets internationally. What they've done instead is make a whole lot of people feel treated like second class customers.

I don't think Disney has the resources to launch simultaneously in most major markets. Looking at this:

Even WB doesn't have the ability to simultaneously launch in europe, south america, and north america.

According to this:

ATT's net profit in 2018 was ~20 billion

Disney net profit in 2018 was ~12.5 billion

So WB can't launch hbomax simultaneously, despite having more resources.

Oct 25, 2017
Made Kenner millions. Now the prequel toys also sold like mad to hoarders, resalers and fans, I remember the madness at TRU, and they are all garbage now and I'm so glad I didn't jump in. Goes to show you you need a good movie/show to go with the action figures or the value never goes up or worst it all turns to junk.

Rebels was excellent but Hasbro didn't give a damn about supporting it well.
They only released 2 of the 6 main characters for 6 months after the show released,
Both female characters could only be purchased in multipacks with Stormtroopers
latest
latest

Sabine had a permanent helmet(something she has off 90% of the time on the show) and didn't get another figure for 2 entire years
latest

They never made the main ship or almost any vehicles after the first 3 from S1.
they waited till the show was ending to make realistic 6" versions and haven't completed the cast nearly 2 years after Rebels ended.

Hasbro is most likely losing the license though next year.

Last edited:

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
B-but I already pre-ordered the half plush, half vinyl Baby Yoda...
And I never got a confirmation email, Disney!

ElMexiMerican

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like missing out on the biggest period of the year for toy sales for your brand new show for the sake of spoilers is a pretty bad bet. Sure the toys are going to sell outside of the holidays, but they are literally missing out on what will likely by the peak of Interest for this character (not saying interest is going to drop like crazy but this is the height imo).

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like missing out on the biggest period of the year for toy sales for your brand new show for the sake of spoilers is a pretty bad bet. Sure the toys are going to sell outside of the holidays, but they are literally missing out on what will likely by the peak of Interest for this character (not saying interest is going to drop like crazy but this is the height imo).
There is a conspiracy theory in the collector fanbase that because they are likely to lose the license next year Hasbro is trying to do the absolute minimum they can with it so it wouldn't have mattered either way.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Disney had a plan.. and yet . The initial baby Yoda merch was like screen grabs from the show sent to cafepress ..

Oct 25, 2017
Who's getting the license?
Sources said Mattel was putting all their efforts into a huge pitch for it because WB just took the DC license from them which was a huge hit.
Mattel previously took Jurassic Park from Hasbro(who had had it since Kenner with JP1) after how badly they screwed up Jurassic World merchandise.

The agreement definitely ends next year and it was previously reupped in 2013(before Hasbro dropped the quality and such),
the Star Wars license agreement has not previously gotten this close to ending before and usually is redone years in advance(2003->2018, renegotiated with Disney in 2013 to extend to 2020)

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
All of the Baby Yoda merchandise thus far looks bad to me. None of them are close enough to the show for me to make a purchase yet.

DeathPeak

Oct 27, 2017
So far, none of the plushes have captured the same cuteness of Baby Yoda as the actual puppet in the show for me. Like someone else said, this looks more like regular old Yoda in Baby Yoda's clothes.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Surprised they didn't use the detailed eyes that Disney puts in their Disney Princess dolls that I can't remember the name of. These are just sewn on. But looking on the Disney store it doesn't seem many of their dolls use 'em either.

Glad I went ahead and jumped on a preorder just in case, shit already sold out lmao

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I guess there's not a ton more you can do with a plush. But the cuteness is seriously lacking compared to the real thing. Initial reaction is that Bada translates poorly as a plush/stuffed animal.

Like seeing that on a bed? Way more E.T. than cute.

Others will come along though.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I find it ridiculous to think they created Baby Yoda and didn't think it would sell gangbusters.

It was designed to be popular.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
Just wanted to bump this since I finally got the Child today. I wasn't even expecting it either.

qLrhzrW.jpg

TJoU0lU.jpg