• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DMczaf

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
www.thewrap.com

Disney Defends '78 Seconds' of 'Mulan' Footage Filmed in China - TheWrap

Cooperation with Chinese officials accused of human rights violations was required, film production head Sean Bailey tells Parliament

Disney defends the studio's decision to film segments of "Mulan" in China, specifically in regions where Uyghur Muslims have been detained and tortured in internment camps.

The response from Disney's president of film production, Sean Bailey, was directed to Parliament after Conservative MP and co-chair of the U.K. Inter-Parliamentary Alliance on China, Iain Duncan Smith, sent a letter to the studio inquiring about the involvement of the Turpan Bureau of Public Security in the making of the film. The Bureau was sanctioned by the U.S. Department of Commerce last year in connection to the Uyghur internment and was listed in the Special Thanks section of the "Mulan" credits.

Bailey said that "Mulan" was shot almost entirely in New Zealand, but additional location shooting was done in China "in order to accurately depict the unique geography and landscape of China for this period drama." In Xinjiang, the province where the camps are located, the "Mulan" team filmed shots of the Kumtag Desert, which Bailey described as "an important passageway along the historic Silk Road."

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
"What's the big deal? It's only 75 seconds of footage"

Disney during WW2: "What's the big deal? It's only 75 seconds of footage in front of Auschwitz"

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What does proximity matter? Being further away in China would be better somehow? Were they utilizing Uyghur labor?

Seems like filming in China at all should be the problem?

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
Ah well if its only a minute then OK Disney, you get a pass this time. How much time do you think you need before you start worrying abut human rights abuse and torture? Like 10 minutes?

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
To be fair, filming a movie in a region where innocent people are imprisoned, enslaved, brainwashed, tortured, and killed is fine if the amount of footage you use doesn't exceed 5 minutes. Disney is in the clear!

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
But honestly a UK parliment member calling out a corporation, i hope he is equally upset with his own country. I don't see anyone else besides the United States sanctioning The CCP over the uighurs

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Wouldn't this argument make it... worse? You shot footage in an area, and presumably directly supported a region that is operating concentration camps for barely more than a minute of a film. At that point, why bother shooting the footage at all - why bother keeping it in the final cut?

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
Uhhhh, yeah .... that's gonna be a "STFU, don't bring it up and learn your lesson" moment of a movie.
This aint the play.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They could have employed the best CG artists in the world, but nah. Entertainment over human rights.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
I really think it's time to boycott Disney or do something similar like how business's in Apartheid South Africa faced boycotts. That is the only way to hold them accountable. Sadly I think they might be too big and there's also the lack of awareness about this issue which make me worry about how successful it would be.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Remember this when Disney or any other corporation tries to pass itself off as an ally to any sort of social cause. They do what's best for business and nothing else.

Oct 29, 2017
Corporate America's silence and complicity with the CCP's crimes is especially glaring this year.

They've been tripping all over each other to signpost their support for other causes, but won't touch this with a ten foot pole. Can't imagine why... /s

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
If it's that short then you really didn't need to film it there, yet you did so anyway.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The only justification for a minute of the footage there is to say "This is bad and shouldn't be happening."

Now I haven't watched the new Mulan but I can safely guess they didn't do that.

RightChandMan

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I work in tv and film. This is such an awful response.

1. They definitely shot more than 78 seconds.
2. You still have to scout, obtain film permits from govt, hire a crew, figure out hotel situation etc etc.

I work in locations and its definitely a process to get something up and running.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Unbelievable. This is like....wow.

Fuck you Disney.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes saying nothing is better Disney.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine if Disney filmed in Nazi occupied plans and said it was only 78 seconds of footage.

Fick off with that shit.

Oct 27, 2017
But honestly a UK parliment member calling out a corporation, i hope he is equally upset with his own country. I don't see anyone else besides the United States sanctioning The CCP over the uighurs

Let's not pretend for a second that the US response has anything to do with human rights violations. The US is enthusiastically in favor of human rights violations as long as the perpetrators kiss America's ass.