• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Please not Feige please not Feige please not Feige

Let him focus on Mahvel pls

Oh it's someone else thank god

Carry on

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So Parks are about enter an Eisner style dark ages again with Chapek having total control.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to imagine a CEO ever being as good at his job than Bob Iger, for any industry.

It will only go downhill from here, I see Cheapek as the next Steve Ballmer.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
What is going on at Disney!?!
nGMrD.gif

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Bob Chapek is next.
Bobs for everyone :v

bob_c_castle_headshot_web.jpg
He looks like a thumb with a face. This should be the stock photo news orgs use when talking about generic corporate people doing generic corporate things.
I always thought this too.
There was always chatter that Mayer was going to be next in line because of how involved he has been with every major decision Iger has done.
Seems like a step-back to give to it to Chapek.

Unless they asked and he said no. I hope the Chapek promotion won't bite them in the ass.
Transformative leaders are rarely succeeded by the same type. The good ones usually build teams underneath them that are safe, conservative, and risk-averse. Sort of like a counter-balance to the risk-taking leader. The problem is that once the transformative leader is gone, there's no one on the team they built that has the same behaviors and attitudes to continue the run.

If there is anyone like that, the interpersonal dynamics at play amongst the underlings resembles a crabs-in-the-bucket scenario, where anyone with charisma, talent, or uncanny business sense is subverted from within should they succeed the leader. If they're smart (and they usually are), they usually make a jump elsewhere to head something up.

The best Disney can hope for over the next 20 years is a series of middling corporate types who extract maximum value at lowest cost. For those of us who grew up in the '70s & '80s, we've seen that Disney before.

Sendero

Oct 25, 2017
I'm mystified by the decision to leave Bob Chapek (of all people) as CEO, even if only for the transition.
Can't imagine the Board is overtly happy with the penny pinching strategies implemented on the parks, including the whole Galaxy Edge debacle.

Iger has done so much for the Disney brand, that it's hard to believe that he is purposely leaving a zero-charisma trash executive in his steed, to increase the contrast with his own achievements. Unless of course, they are nurturing someone else, that is not ready yet.

Now, even if Iger remains in the company, you have to wonder if there will be other changes in the rest of the leadership.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Probably the best time to step down too, end on a high note ( 2019 being Disney's biggest year ever ) cause 2020 is probably gonna be an oooof for Disney due to the chronavirus ( Disney Shanghai/ Hong Kong being closed for months, China closing every movie theater indefinitely so no more China box office money for say ....Mulan which was might have been their biggest Chinese hit but now? Who knows even the black widow movie will it be released in China simultaneously remains to be seen ....

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
This is NOT normal. Even if you want to bow out early you announce it on a Friday with a small transition period. You don't bail THAT DAY. The company had no warning, this is totally unexpected and they are not prepared for it.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Woah. We knew it was going to happen b it not until next year.

But:

peteykirch

Oct 25, 2017
For people who complained how the parks were ran under Iger....Bob Chapek will be 100x worse. All he worries about is finding money out of every possible nook and cranny. You don't want the merch guy running the entire show.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
I mean the early years with Iger surrounding the parks was great. Under him we did get a revitalized California Adventure and he has committed to revitalizing the cheap parks Eisner spat out. It was only recently when the parks dropped in quality.

peteykirch

Oct 25, 2017
I mean the early years with Iger surrounding the parks was great. Under him we did get a revitalized California Adventure and he has committed to revitalizing the cheap parks Eisner spat out. It was only recently when the parks dropped in quality.

However under Iger the parks were open fewer hours, and APs increased to stupid levels. Plus under Iger both DL and WDW saw the overuse of the College Program using temp labor in front line positions leading to lesser guest experience.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
Woah. We knew it was going to happen b it not until next year.

But:

Fine, but you don't announce this on a Tuesday three weeks after a quarterly earnings call. I'll counterpoint that with this...

Iger *announcing* he will be stepping down with a plan and end date wouldn't be surprising. Him literally making it effective *NOW* is.

mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017
Fine, but you don't announce this on a Tuesday three weeks after a quarterly earnings call. I'll counterpoint that with this...

Iger *announcing* he will be stepping down with a plan and end date wouldn't be surprising. Him literally making it effective *NOW* is.

Thank you for this. This motherfucker Clayton Sandell should stay in his lane.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So if Chapek is so awful and the parks are on the decline under him why would they pick him?

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
So if Chapek is so awful and the parks are on the decline under him why would they pick him?

Is he a cost cutter and/or accountant at heart? If they're not planning on a lot more expansion in the near term then the next best move is probably to increase profit margins.

These types don't tend to be inspirational leaders though.

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This allows him to him to unleash his true machinations from behind the seems. Bob Chapek is the perfect fall guy.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Well, feel however you want about what Disney is doing from a consumer POV, Iger will basically go down as one of the most successful CEOs in history. Bob #2 has some big fucking boots to fill.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

I mean, I get it as it's a big surprise but the guy is still there as executive chairman to oversee the transition.

Thank you for this. This motherfucker Clayton Sandell should stay in his lane.

Yikes

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020
Can someone explain what the hell is going on in the comment section of the cnbc tweet in regards to "q sent me"?

twitter.com

CNBC on Twitter

“BREAKING: Disney CEO Bob Iger to step down. Bob Chapek will be the CEO of Disney immediately. $DIS https://t.co/MDSBArbjWg”

OtterMatic

Oct 25, 2017
The park quality is in decline over the past few years since they keep cutting cast members and live performances on the street. Those small details matter. Those performances keep parks look busy during a slow day. Last time I went to DL (before RotR opening), Galaxy Edge is kinda dead. A few stroomtroopers walking around at most.

I am also annoyed Chapek's approach on slapping IP to everything during re-theming. Tbh, GotG's Mission Breakout worked for me, but that's because they shouldn't stick to the same concept when they use another ride system for CA's Tower of Terror at first. Pixar Pier and Paradise Gardens are still out of place.

Then Epcot. Like some youtubers mentioned, people like to visit all four parks at WDW because how different they are. If every parks are magic kingdom style, there is little reasons to visit all if you have limited time.