• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
t72g1ds8t3u31.png

lmao I love this

Jun 17, 2019
Now you've gone too far

The irony of Coppola and Scorsese lamenting filmmakers today not having the same creative leeway they had when they were younger (which, fwiw, I don't think is really quite true anyway) is that they're in large part to blame for that. The ground shifted again at the end of the 70s/beginning of the 80s because of productions run amok and outright flops like Sorcerer, New York New York, Heaven's Gate, etc. Apocalypse Now is a masterpiece, but is it any wonder that studios start snapping back into control after Coppola shot over a million fuckin feet of film for it?

And you aren't wrong. If you take a look at the major MPs that came out in the 1970s you'll see a very interesting pattern emerge.

1972 -Godfather -Became a franchise with 3 (and could have had a fourth) Movies. (books are still considered a franchise as Puzo kept writing about the family for several more books)

1973 -Exorcist -Became a franchise with several sequels and remakes.

1975 -Jaws -Became a franchise with how many now?

1977 -Star Wars -Became a franchise

1978 -Halloween -Became a franchise with the latest installment just coming out last year

1979 -Aliens -Became a franchise that has lasted up until recently

1976 -Rocky -Became a franchise with several sequels and a spin off series

1974 -Texas Chainsaw -Became a franchise of sorts and then remakes

1978 -Superman -Franchise and Branding.

1976 -The Omen -Became a franchise and then a set of remakes

1978 -National Lampoon -Franchise and has been for years

1970 -Mash -Became a well recived TV series that lasted for years

1970 -Beneath the Plant of the Apes -Second or third (can't remember) in a Franchise that is still going today

That's not even counting the number of Disaster pictues and Hammer Horror movies that were coming out year after year in the 1970s that pushed the idea of the long running cycle of "Hey people like it, it puts butts in seats let's do this!" Franchises were born out of the 1970s and into the 1980s because Movies were struggling against TV at the time.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
I enjoyed this write up from Vulture on the subject. As someone who has seen most of the MCU films, enjoyed plenty of them and keep up with the news surrounding them, I still agree with Scorsese, Coppola, Loach and other auteurs.

I kinda wanted a make a new thread on it but we probably have too many threads on this subject already lol.

I've been writing about comic-book and superhero and franchise films for decades now. I've had to watch and rewatch them, as a writer, a fan, a parent. I don't entirely agree with our greatest auteurs' dismissal of them; I've enjoyed my share of comic-book movies, and I'd even include a couple of them among their respective decades' best. As industrial phenomena, they've allowed some directors to gain the clout to go on and make smaller, presumably more personal pictures, as Taika Waititi did when he recently followed up Thor: Ragnarok with Jojo Rabbit. (Directors are always saying they're going to follow up their big blockbusters with something smaller and more intimate, but rarely do they actually do it. We've been waiting for George Lucas's "experimental" movies for four decades now.) And I've been impressed with the occasional subtlety these films have provided, particularly in the way they … GAH!

[...]

There's one thing Scorsese said that really sticks out: Speaking of Marvel movies, he said they were "creating another kind of audience that thinks cinema is that." All great films create their own audience, in a sense; you can't really broaden the art form's range of expression without teaching your audience new ways to experience and think and feel about what's onscreen and, by extension, the universe beyond the frame. Citizen Kane does this; Rashomon does this; 2001 does this; Jeanne Dielman does this; Do the Right Thing does this. (And it's not just the capital-M Masterpieces that do it, either. Anna Rose Holmer's The Fits does this; Chloé Zhao's The Rider does this; Robert Greene's Actress does this. I could go on, but we'd be here all day.)

Superhero movies have done this to some extent, too — in sci-fi-thriller parlance, they've terraformed their own audience — but they haven't really expanded our capacity for feeling. If anything, they've limited it, delivering tales of moral clarity, with ready-made, mix-and-match character interactions. There are occasional exceptions. (Black Panther's Killmonger might technically be a bad guy, but he's a deeply moving one. And Thanos is the saddest villain, like, ever. And can Captain America's BFF the Winter Soldier still be an okay guy if he also killed Iron Man's parents? Well, he was brainwashed at the time, so …) But by and large, in these movies, nuance is an occasional grace note, not the norm. It's understandable that Coppola and Scorsese might be somewhat alarmed and dispirited by all this, especially since their work has always been about dubious people. Scorsese's characters are, among other things, killers and abusive lunatics — and he makes us care about them, even find them charismatic. In these works, nuance and discomfort are the norm, and it's moral clarity that's rare; of all the many people killed in Coppola's first two Godfather movies, only like two of them probably deserve it.

[...]

Action blockbusters have always been successful, and the industry's more independent-minded artists have always struggled to get around the financial imperatives of what is, after all, a business. But the last 15 or so years have seen rapid monopolization across many industries, and these types of releases have become dominant in what is increasingly looking like a zero-sum game. While lots of other films get made — more, in fact, than have ever been produced before — all the oxygen in the room gets sucked out by the big ones, leaving the smaller ones to choke.

A treatment can become a dependency; a symptom can become a cause. And many of us who welcomed these movies with open arms may now find ourselves trapped in a tiresome world of absolutes — and not just cinematic ones. We might even be able to trace some of the intolerance of our disagreements in the real world, where opposing views become unacceptable and we live through constant, numbing cycles of hyperbole and constant accusation, to the fact that the stories we tell each other — the cultural products that are supposed to both shape and reflect our experiences — are mostly made up of simple narratives, simple quandaries, simple resolutions. To put it another way: People who are genuinely upset by Scorsese's comments should ask themselves why they're so upset by them, and whether their response, in its own way, proves his point.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It seems people can't read, in order to mock the statement and Marvel films. The key is where Iger says, "have ever done in any one of their movies," meaning that he's not putting up Black Panther only against their best, but also against their worst.
what

Imagine doing mental gymnastics to defend a billionaire. Imagine living that life.
Who cares what these directors have to say? Are they some Of the best? Yes. I don't even like the marvel movies but I think these old farts need to shut up. They are nearing the end of the line and are trying to secure their legacies. There have always been big budget popcorn flicks that's all these marvel movies are. I'm sure Coppola and Scorsese we're talking shit about Star Wars in the '70's. Seriously, who gives a shit? Cause they don't about us.
Coppola, Scorsese and George Lucas are all close friends.

Also, I'm sure a lot of people are interested in what they have to say.

OP
OP
Richiek

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
Coppola, Scorsese and George Lucas are all close friends.

And it was Coppola that gave Lucas his start in Hollywood. Coppola produced Lucas' first two films (THX-1138 and American Graffiti) and had intended for Lucas to direct Apocalypse Now.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
what

Imagine doing mental gymnastics to defend a billionaire. Imagine living that life.
Imagine ignoring the substance of statements to easily dismiss them as "mental gymnastics defending a billionaire".

Imagine living that life.

Coppola and Scorsese have plenty millions as well and don't need you caping for their opinions either.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah...the 200 million dollar movie appropriating the name of an actual radical political movement where a global south revolution is stopped by the good, proper and technologically advanced blacks and their good allies and friends the CIA and then they set up a Wakandan outreach center in Harlem to offset that certainly has the same cultural capital and value as Raging Bull and The Conversation
Trivia-Black Panther (comic)debuted and existed months before the group came into fruition.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Imagine ignoring the substance of statements to easily dismiss them as "mental gymnastics defending a billionaire".

Imagine living that life.

Coppola and Scorsese have plenty millions as well and don't need you caping for their opinions either.
He literally said any one of their movies.
That implies Apocalypse Now or Taxi Driver. He's saying that Black Panther is as good as any movie in their filmography. Are you confused about something?

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Why people hold Black Panther as some high artistic achievement I'll never know.

It's really not that hard, and lies more in the cultural impact of the movie rather than its overall quality.
While the movie goes too soft on colonialism in general and it can be argued that aspects of the 'Dark Continent' are still present in unfortunate volume,
the key central theme of the movie is obviously African diaspora with Black Panther and Killmonger acting as foils to each other.

Can you point to another mainstream blockbuster movie that has covered the theme of African Diaspora?

I legitimately think that Coogler pulling in a billion with black super-hero flick that delivered a plot with the central theme of African Diaspora to mainstream audiences is going to do more for cinema in the long run than Scorsese making another Italian gangster movie.

It's too bad that the CG in the last act is horrendous, or it would easily be my favorite movie of 2018.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
He literally said any one of their movies.
That implies Apocalypse Now or Taxi Driver. He's saying that Black Panther is as good as any movie in their filmography. Are you confused about something?
Read what I wrote, he's saying both the good and bad, and not just saying the best rated Marvel movie is as good or better than other time-tested films already considered classics, but he's saying in his his opinion, which this whole thing started over opinions, that comparing BP to their entire filmography is saying it has as much right to be considered cinema and not treated like an inherently inferior product, regardless of the actual quality.

It's not even controversial and I agree with what he is saying.

Last edited:

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Read what I wrote, he's saying both the good and bad and not just saying the best rated Marvel movie is as good or better than other time-tested films already considered classics, but he's saying in his his opinion that
We all read what you wrote. And what you wrote reveals that you're very confused about what Iger said if we're being generous.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
We all read what you wrote. And what you wrote reveals that you're very confused about what Iger said if we're being generous.
I was asking the person who quoted me to reread my quote since he mischaracterized the quote and what I was saying about it.

Also you are responding to an incomplete post that got posted because I'm on mobile. Read the above.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Read what I wrote, he's saying both the good and bad, and not just saying the best rated Marvel movie is as good or better than other time-tested films already considered classics, but he's saying in his his opinion, which this whole thing started over opinions, that comparing BP to their entire filmography is saying it has as much right to be considered cinema and not treated like an inherently inferior product, regardless of the actual quality.

It's not even controversial and I agree with what he is saying.
I can't even begin to understand how you're getting this out of what Iger said. It's the most roundabout possible reading of the quote.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
I can't even begin to understand how you're getting this out of what Iger said. It's the most roundabout possible reading of the quote.
Do you get tired of constantly hating on the MCU? Lol it's like the Avatar bet thread all over again.

I can't understand how you or anyone without an agenda can read it as Iger saying BP is better than the mentioned films when clearly it's in reference to Scorsese'a original quote.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
"You tell me, Ryan Coogler making Black Panther is doing something that is, somehow or other,"
He's responding directly to the criticism that Scorsese make that Marvel films "aren't cinema", that they are "other" as in, something else.

" less than what Marty Scorsese or Francis Ford Coppola have ever done on any one of their movies. C'mon. There, I said it."
"Less than" referring to the same sentiment that they are lesser forms of entertainment, like a roller coaster. Nothing but a thrill ride, not evoking real human drama. He's also saying compared to their whole filmography, not just a quality of their very best work, that it deserves to be recognized as cinema and for the quality it does have.

It's not hard to understand.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Do you get tired of constantly hating on the MCU? Lol it's like the Avatar bet thread all over again.

I can't understand how you or anyone without an agenda can read it as Iger saying BP is better than the mentioned films when clearly it's in reference to Scorsese'a original quote.
If I don't kiss the feet of Bob Iger like some of you are doing, that means I'm hating on the MCU?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
"You tell me, Ryan Coogler making Black Panther is doing something that is, somehow or other,"
He's responding directly to the criticism that Scorsese make that Marvel films "aren't cinema", that they are "other" as in, something else.

" less than what Marty Scorsese or Francis Ford Coppola have ever done on any one of their movies. C'mon. There, I said it."
"Less than" referring to the same sentiment that they are lesser forms of entertainment, like a roller coaster. Nothing but a thrill ride, not evoking real human drama. He's also saying compared to their whole filmography, not just a quality of their very best work, that it deserves to be recognized as cinema and for the quality it does have.

It's not hard to understand.
You're being hugely obtuse in defense of Bog Iger, for some reason.
Oh I get it, Jett is just trolling. lol

Good one. Have a good day.
Uh huh?
No, obsessively posting the same posts in every MCU thread means you're hating but, hey, what do I know, I'm just a Disney-shill.
At leas you admit it.

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
Huh, I read that as Iger saying that Coogler, Scorsese and Coppola all put 'their creative souls on the line' and they and their crews all work as hard as one another. So, they are not doing anything that is less. Don't think he's really talking about whose movie is better. But sure, had he said that Black Panther is as good as Coppola's or Scorsese's work, that would be controversial I guess.

Either way, it's certainly disrespectful to everyone who worked on those movies to judge them while he's not seen them, so I guess Iger is right about Scorsese. Is calling the movies dispicable disrespectful to the people who worked on them? Sounds about right. So I guess he's right about Coppola too.

It would've been interesting if either Scorsese or Coppola would've taken the time to say something more insightful. Directors with a vision severely rejecting the work of other directors is nothing new, and could potentially even be interesting or illuminating. Alas, there's little here.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
You're being hugely obtuse in defense of Bog Iger, for some reason.
The one being obtuse isn't me, especially when you say "I can't even understand" then refuse to engage with what I actually wrote but instead continue to project this discussion being about defending/attacking Bob Iger, for some reason.

Are we not talking about what a person said and not some weird personal attack/defense framing?

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The one being obtuse isn't me, especially when you say "I can't even understand" then refuse to engage with what I actually wrote but instead continue to project this discussion being about defending/attacking Bob Iger, for some reason.

Are we not talking about what a person said and not some weird personal attack/defense framing?

It's funny, whenever someone is trying to go to bat for the MCU, they're being attacked on a personal level. But Scorcese and Coppola? They made some of the best films of all time, so we'll conveniently ignore that they, too, are billionaires and love to defend a convicted pedophile, put him on a pedestal even. Surely people who need a defense force as much as Bob Iger does.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm amazed at the number of people who think that Jack was better than Black Panther.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017

I'm sure people are interested in what Iger has to say too.

That doesn't mean that this dumb spat isn't idiotic. Shove all three of these geriatric old men in a nursing home, let them settle it on the dominoes table. And stop wasting my time reading about said old men sniping at each other over which one of them makes the best genre films that turned into giant franchises.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
This is over the top disrespectful of all involved

I'm sure they won't actually end up in nursing homes. They're all extremely rich.

And I simply don't see any substance to any of their points. Scorsese just got handed an absolutely obscene amount of money to do exactly the kind of picture he loves to do, and the Marvel movies will continue to print money for Iger/Disney regardless of what the former (or other auteurs like him) say about them.

These headlines might as well be about bankers complaining about each others' yachts.

TheLastYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Iger using Black Panther when MCU movies were starring bunch of white dudes for 10 years before then is... interesting.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Iger using Black Panther when MCU movies were starring bunch of white dudes for 10 years before then is... interesting.

Can you name me any Coppola or Scorcese, that stars someone other than a white dude? I can't think of one. Even women as protagonists rarely happen in their films. And both of them had half a century to create something diverse.

ThousandEyes

Banned
Sep 3, 2019
meanwhile

George Miller da God loves superheroes, considers them American mythology like the Greeks and Romans and almost did a Justice League film

george-miller-justice-league-mortal-movie-facts.jpg

ThousandEyes

Banned
Sep 3, 2019
but honestly though. would there be a reason why someone like George Miller would embrace superheroes while Scorsese and Coppola would discredit them. He is of their generation

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
If they would make more experiemental mid-budget movies, we could get somewhere. Instead, everything is played too safe and the studios with all the money get to create the market, and now it is only existing IPs. So goes the consolidation of media empires and wealth.