• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, I guess props to him. Most CEOs would have just had a random statement put out by the PR team

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dude probably punching the air mad that he got caught.

lol while an amusing thought....

it was probably the result of an over ambition employee who thought he was just following the rules.

I highly doubt anyone higher up knew they were going to fine a PTA, they'd probably have stopped it just from the bad PR.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Next week in the news, Disney successfully lobbies to extend IP rights until the heat death of the universe.

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
I know a public school that screened a Disney movie for a fundraiser and it cost more like $800 to license it the official way >_<

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Does this mean public showings of any Disney movie is ok going forward as long as there is some kind of charitable fund raising associated with it? Isn't that a change in their stance wrt copyright?

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this is why i don't get sanders. billionaires are generally benevolent and will do their best to fix injustices in society.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
reality is, Iger is probably going to donate a couple grand for PR in this case. In future cases, legal will probably be required to notify in advance if the party was screening for charity like fundraisers. In which case, there will probably be a private settlement in those cases where Disney covers the fee but gets the appearance of protecting their IP.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
this is why i don't get sanders. billionaires are generally benevolent and will do their best to fix injustices in society.
there's a few that are on the opposite side and are generally scum, but bob iger ain't that especially with how he worked around the issues with the MCU

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dude probably punching the air mad that he got caught.
The PR backlash from something like this is far worse than the $250. The agent fucked up.
Does this mean public showings of any Disney movie is ok going forward as long as there is some kind of charitable fund raising associated with it? Isn't that a change in their stance wrt copyright?
You do need to enforce your copyright w public performances, but this isn't the level at which the tradeoff for doing it makes any sense. A small PTA event you wouldn't need to do this, a big outdoor showing done by the county parks department you probably would.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
You do need to enforce your copyright w public performances, but this isn't the level at which the tradeoff for doing it makes any sense. A small PTA event you wouldn't need to do this, a big outdoor showing done by the county parks department you probably would.
Right, I mostly meant they've muddied the waters, and might end up having to (re)draw that line in the future.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

Generally, if money is involved you have to get a license. My guess is there may be a no cost license for small charity events.

Back when I was in college I contacted Lucasfilm to get permission for our group to hold a campus showing of the OG films.

Lucas licensing basically told me that they didn't have free licences, but as long as we:
1) Didn't charge money
2) Were not often to the public (just students)

Then Lucasfilm would not consider it a public exhibition subject to licensing fees.

Suicide King

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's very weird that a big monopoly basically owns the concept of a furry Hamlet and is able to do that kind of stuff. Even worse is the fact that they just apologized because they got caught, and this is not at all something wrong with the system that enables that kind of corporate control.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's very weird that a big monopoly basically owns the concept of a furry Hamlet and is able to do that kind of stuff. Even worse is the fact that they just apologized because they got caught, and this is not at all something wrong with the system that enables that kind of corporate control.
It's not weird at all. This is how IP ownership works. If you own the IP, others need to get your permission to use your characters, created works, images, etc. This applies both for megacorps and for say, an individual who wrote a book that others want to make a movie out of.

Suicide King

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not weird at all. This is how IP ownership works. If you own the IP, others need to get your permission to use your characters, created works, images, etc. This applies both for megacorps and for say, an individual who wrote a book that others want to make a movie out of.
I know it's how it works, but I find it weird that a corporation has more control over this "artistic property" than any artist whatsoever. Almost like the concept of intellectual property is more designed to protect lucrative properties of the powerful rather than enable artists to make art.

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
It's a nice gesture, but as the original article reporting on this whole thing pointed out... Disney should just pay more in property taxes.

These companies will do anything to help education... except pay their fair share of taxes :\

LMAO, what the fuck is this take? All of their benevolent actions arguably pale in comparison to the overall good they could do by paying their fucking taxes. And by paying their taxes, I mean paying their fair share of taxes.

Last edited:

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know it's how it works, but I find it weird that a corporation has more control over this "artistic property" than any artist whatsoever. Almost like the concept of intellectual property is more designed to protect lucrative properties of the powerful rather than enable artists to make art.
They don't, it's just that individual artists are unlikely to be producing movies with large public screenings. IP protects people or organizations who create things by giving them control over how their creations are used and allows those people or organizations to leverage that ownership for income. Otherwise you'd have 50 different publishers putting out a copy of the newest Harry Potter-type book when it released with almost none of the money flowing back to the original writer.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019

there are even cases where stores and restaurants that have televisions and radio stations turned on have to get a license and also pay an extra fee for IP rights.
Imagine you want to shop at a small store and the clerk has a small radio nearby listening to music. If agents see this, the store will have to pay a fine

Suicide King

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They don't, it's just that individual artists are unlikely to be producing movies with large public screenings. IP protects people or organizations who create things by giving them control over how their creations are used and allows those people or organizations to leverage that ownership for income. Otherwise you'd have 50 different publishers putting out a copy of the newest Harry Potter-type book when it released with almost none of the money flowing back to the original writer.
Then it is about money. And it is prone to abuse by more powerful corporations/richer people. As it stands, I see a company that owns something that can be traced back to various other creative pieces but they detain all the income for the "synthesis" of those pieces. And as a huge company, they are legally allowed to control how it is shown in a weird way (school fundraiser).

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Then it is about money. And it is prone to abuse by more powerful corporations/richer people. As it stands, I see a company that owns something that can be traced back to various other creative pieces but they detain all the income for the "synthesis" of those pieces. And as a huge company, they are legally allowed to control how it is shown in a weird way (school fundraiser).
They control it because they paid people to create it for them in the same way you own a house after you pay someone else to build it for you.

Kevinception

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2020
Oh great, now schools are going to be rampant in their Illegal usage of Disney IP to make money. GG iger

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing people that billionaires earned their money.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
So dumb that you can't legally show a DVD that you purchased to anyone you want. If you own the DVD you should be able to screen it to whoever you want. It's ridiculous that the movie company has any legal recourse whatsoever concerning who you show the things you've purchased to.