• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will you see Black Widow in theaters or wait until it is streaming on Disney+?

• I'll see it in theaters

Votes: 193 18.7%
  • I'll wait to stream it

Votes: 631 61.2%
  • No interest in the movie

Votes: 207 20.1%

• Total voters

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
This could be the first MCU movie I miss in the theaters since Incredible Hulk back in 2008. Doubt I'll feel comfortable in a theater until September at the earliest.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I imagine they're hoping it'll be the first big film a newly vaccinated America can go out and see. Which it might be considering the USA supposedly now could theoretically vaccinate nearly everyone by 4/30.

(I won't see it opening day but if I get vaccinated and cases are super down I might go see it in June or July).

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I could have sworn they announced back during that big marvel project event a month or two ago that it was being released on the DIsney+ premier thing...

Maybe it was some fake "leak" or something.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
If you're going to run with the idea that mass vaccination isn't enough to return to public life, you need to prepare for a permanent existence of never interacting with other human beings without a layer of plexiglass in front of you.

Individuals or groups getting a vaccination isn't the same thing as mass vaccination, you will still be interacting with a significant amount of non-vaccinated people for a long time, and once we do reach vaccinations levels to provide anything close to herd immunity you need to wait for infection rates to drop still before things can remotely go back to normal.

People are way too gung-ho about returning to "normal" the second they get vaccinated and I fully expect to see an uptick in infections in the short term as a result.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
This is a bad move, on their part.

Regardless, there's a drive-in movie theater about 45 minutes away from my house so I'll still plan on seeing it opening weekend.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Individuals or groups getting a vaccination isn't the same thing as mass vaccination, you will still be interacting with a significant amount of non-vaccinated people for a long time, and once we do reach vaccinations levels to provide anything close to herd immunity you need to wait for infection rates to drop still before things can remotely go back to normal.

People are way too gung-ho about returning to "normal" the second they get vaccinated and I fully expect to see an uptick in infections in the short term as a result.
It's also worth noting it's highly unlikely any screening of Black Widow in early May is going to seem remotely normal compared to pre-pandemic moviegoing. It's extremely likely capacity limits and mask mandates are still in effect (be it by the state, or by individual theater chains), dramatically reducing the risk of transmission within the theater.

So to elaborate on the post you initially disagreed with - there is probably very little harm in a screening with a mostly vaccinated crowd. Whether or not you believe the crowd you are with is sufficiently vaccinated is up to you - but don't be surprised if plenty of people are comfortable with it.

Smokeymicpot

Oct 25, 2017

At this rate their will always be an uptick. Covid will never not be here. Just need to adjust to it and do what you can.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
We're probably not gonna be vaccinated by then so waiting for it to go on D+ wins out by default.

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly seems about a month too early. But I'd love to be wrong. Hopefully they do a long run and folks will able to attend in the second half.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
0v1nnoj6b2m61.jpg

Looks like Marvel and Disney are not backing down.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017

Millions of people have been vaccinated already and cases and deaths have been dropping like a rock.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
I'm vaccinated but I'm not going without my SO and I don't know that a) she'll be vaccinated or b) we'll feel good about going yet.

Also, Black Widow is probably the least interested I've been in a MCU release to date. Even without the pandemic I may have waited to stream it.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I'll see it in theaters if me and the other people I'd go with all have vaccinations and if Regal is open and still doing social distancing.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Cases have been pretty steady, but fortunately deaths have dropped.
I don't think that's true? On January 7th there were 280k new cases. On February 7th it was 87k. On March 7th it was 40k. Some days might tick up or down slightly, but the overall trajectory over the last several weeks has been pointing straight down.

Anaron

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm curious though why not spacing out the theatre seats and requiring everyone to wear masks wouldn't be enough come this May?

if stupid restaurants have been allowed this ENTIRE TIME, I feel like theatres with major rules should be comparatively acceptable?

Idk shit, I spend 30 minutes on a crowded train getting to work and back everyday and (thankfully) haven't gotten it

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
If me and my wife are vaccinated for at least 2 weeks and the movie is in theaters, we are going. At that point I'm going to do the activities I did pre pandemic, and follow whatever guidelines there are but I won't live in fear anymore. That's why you get vaccinated.

goodretina

Dec 30, 2018
I don't think that's true? On January 7th there were 280k new cases. On February 7th it was 87k. On March 7th it was 40k. Some days might tick up or down slightly, but the overall trajectory over the last several weeks has been pointing straight down.
January to February was great, but February to March not so much.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
I really want to stream it on D+ but this site is real bad with putting spoilers in the thread titles and google loves popping articles with spoilers in the title on my phone. Guess I'll have to do my best to avoid spoilers but I had Mandalorian spoiled within hours about you know what because of google.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Well I'm not in US but I watched Raya in theater recently, I go during weekday and pretty early showing so not many people is there. It was really nice. Really missed going to theater

I'll definitely go watch Blavk Widow in theater just need to pick timeslot thats not crowded and no drinking and eating, wear mask at all times etc.

I haven't been vaccinated, I'll probably have to wait until September for vaccination in my country

SuperL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
The real answer is that the middle and low-end will adapt to streaming and the highest top-end will still rely on theaters.

It's going to suck if theaters are going to be nothing but superheroes and franchise reboots from here on out.

I hoped that we would see more indie, and mid-budget films in theaters.

Obi Wan Jabroni

alt account
Banned
Dec 14, 2020
Vaccination isn't full immunity.

True, but research and data suggests that once a person is fully vaccinated, the chances of that person actually having any serious complications from the disease or dying drop to practically nothing.

The real problem is that we still don't know what the rate of transmission is for vaccinated people, which is why mixing them with people who haven't yet been vaccinated is still considered a risk.

And to be clear I understand your caution. I'm now fully vaccinated but after more than a year of living through this pandemic, I feel hesitant to return to any level of normalcy, even when around other people who are likewise vaccinated.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It'll be three weeks to a month after it's in theaters before they'll flip the switch to watch it on D+ for $30. Even if they're not saying it, D+ is their backup plan if all else fails.

Oct 27, 2017
the weather in atlanta has been really nice the past few days and people are out giving zero shits, they'll be flocking to theaters (are theaters even open? i honestly haven't bothered ever checking over the past year)

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I'll be well into my second dose of the vaccine but fuck if I'm going to a theater so soon. I'll see y'all for like Spider-Man or some shit.

psionotic

May 29, 2019
I voted that I'll see it in theaters, but I should stipulate that this will only happen if my wife is fully vaccinated by the time it's playing. My mom-in-law is fully shotted up (age), and I'm halfway there (educator), but my wife is the one with the lifetime of health problems and we aren't risking it otherwise.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
International bomba then. There is 0% chance movie theaters overseas will be functional enough to provide good BO numbers.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
looks like theatres about to reopen in LA since last march, so yeh theyre definitely not moving this again.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Maaaybe. My family will be fully vaccinated by then. I'll monitor how full the Drafthouse is and go at an off time.