• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, there is a god and his name is James Gunn. That crazy son of a bitch did it.

I was starting to think it was odd we hadn't heard of a new director getting hired but I didn't think it'd mean Gunn was coming back.

Oct 28, 2017
Interesting development, I was thinking Gunn was never gonna look back at Disney for their terrible management of this situation.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a little confused.. didn't they already start shooting the movie without him? Are they doing reshoots with him as director while using the script he wrote before?
It sounds like production on the movie is halted until Gunn is done with Suicide Squad 2. Which really compounds how much of a dumb move to fire him to begin with.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It must be noted that Gunn, unlike almost any other white dude in his position in all of history, reacted to this entire situation with class and respect.

His response should be the template for those to emulate.

Disney was right to fire him, they are also well within right to rehire him

The article suggests that's a big reason they brought him back. It would have been really easy to play the victim but he had the good sense not to.

Admit fault, show understanding of why your actions were wrong, show how you've changed and why you'll no longer behave that way, and accept the consequences without complaining.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
It must be noted that Gunn, unlike almost any other white dude in his position in all of history, reacted to this entire situation with class and respect.

Absolutely.

He had the perfect chance to double down, blame outrage culture, call "witch hunt!", saying "it was just jokes lulz!" - and the worst "sorry if anyone felt offended". He owned it, clearly stated that these 'jokes' were unfunny and hateful, indefensible.

Like, Kevin Hart's not gonna host next year's Oscars, still - because he went exactly the other way.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
When books are written about Marvel Studios in a couple decades, I can't wait to read the chapter about how hard Feige, the cast and others defended Gunn and pushed for him.

Oct 30, 2017
Do they really have any reason to do that? I guess Bautista leaving might make them budge, but they could find lots of people to make a competent GOTG3.
In my opinion, I feel that they knew the backlash they would face if another director used Gunn's script to direct the film. Disney had no intention of doing re-writes and maybe they were secretly having trouble getting a director to take on the role. I mean, it's the third film in an established franchise where every character and even the director were well-loved by many. Outside of Gunn, the film was an albatross necklace.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
dAcEDaU.gif
TFW this gif matches perfectly with

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It would be amazing if Gunn rewote Vol 3 to work this entire saga into the storyline somehow. He should have the gang discover something terrible in Starlord's past, they fire him from the Guardians and then he gets redeemed by the end 😃
What we need is another condescending poster

5JDnLKL.jpg

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017

Yup, Gunn handled this entire thing in the most classy way possible I think

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
He also genuinely wants to make the film he had in mind. Watching those behind-the-scenes and it's like a big happy family. Couldn't imagine the films without him directing it. Even his real family contributed so much to it.
Yeah, I hear you. It's a passion project.

I remember after he finished the script of Guardians 3 he said something like "My one and only."

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely.

He had the perfect chance to double down, blame outrage culture, call "witch hunt!", saying "it was just jokes lulz!" - and the worst "sorry if anyone felt offended". He owned it, clearly stated that these 'jokes' were unfunny and hateful, indefensible.

Like, Kevin Hart's not gonna host next year's Oscars, still - because he went exactly the other way.
Not just because of that but because he had alot of others who are willing to vouch for him like Bautista. The fact he was willing to take it in stride while others fought for his reinstatement shows how much of a class act the dude has become.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a little confused.. didn't they already start shooting the movie without him? Are they doing reshoots with him as director while using the script he wrote before?
Production was pushed to 2021. And according to the article, they won't start until Gunn settles Suicide Squad.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Lol, so the alt-right accidentally gave Gunn a second major franchise to spearhead in addition to keeping the reigns on his current one.

Whoopsie damn daisy.

Dec 31, 2017
None of this makes sense.

I sorta love 1 and liked 2. So I'm glad he's back.

But all this did was delay their own movie two years.

What did Disney gain from this whole excercise?

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder how much him getting picked up for Suicide Squad 2 had to do with this.

"Oh? We didn't ruin his career? He's still viable? Well..the heat has died down."

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
When books are written about Marvel Studios in a couple decades, I can't wait to read the chapter about how hard Feige, the cast and others defended Gunn and pushed for him.

I would love an oral history of the universe. It honestly wouldn't be that difficult, what with such distinct phases and having so many public figures.