• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
2019's Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, while not a game that set the world on fire, was still a really good multiplayer romp. That said, what was most surprising about it was how it came about in the first place: with Marvel and Square-Enix working on a big-budget Avengers game for PS4/XBO/PC, Marvel didn't want to leave the Switch out of the fun, and worked with Nintendo and Team Ninja to revive the MUA franchise.

What is even more surprising, however, is that another of Disney's biggest franchises, one that has seen even more game releases over the last few years: Star Wars, has not appeared in any form on the Switch. This despite it having a great home on other platforms, with Battlefront 1 and 2 and most recently the very well-received Jedi: Fallen Order. But on the Switch, nothing is announced outside of the next installment in Traveler's Tales popular Lego Star Wars series, which is also coming to the other platforms.

So could something be in the works? Nintendo fans lament to this day the cancellation of Factor 5 and LucasArts' Rogue Leaders for the Wii, which would have featured all missions from the ultra-popular Rogue Squadron series as well as new missions featuring motion-controlled lightsaber duels. While the game was 100% completed, it was never released due to Factor 5's bankruptcy, as well as the dissolution of LucasArts following Lucasfilm's sale to the house of mouse. Still, Julian Eggebrecht, Factor 5's president who has since reformed the company in 2017, has said he would love to see the game be revived on the Switch.

But what do you think? Will the Force awaken one day on Nintendo's wonderful hybrid system?

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
It's important to realize as well that even though they are owned by Disney LucasFilm and Marvel are operated and managed differently from one another.

Star Wars was shopped around as an exclusive license and that is how it will remain. LucasFilm is extremely protective of how the Star Wars brand is used and wants to maintain control at all times.

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018
EA has a exclusivity contract to Star Wars games, tho I'm guessing LEGO Star Wars games are an exception since The Skywalker Saga is coming to Switch.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
What's the Lego deal though?

Literally every modern Star Wars videogame is touched by EA. From Console Blockbusters to Mobile gatchas and even an MMO, yet somehow Warner Bros are allowed to make two Lego Star Wars?
Is EA getting a slice of that pie?

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Star Wars is EA exclusive territory, and EA isn't giving Nintendo exclusives. (which is a mistake, I bet they could do really well giving Switch some select ports/special editions of games- how about Battlefield: Bad Company collection -I bet this would serve a pretty thirsty online shooter niche that is underserved on Switch-, Mass Effect trilogy collection, KOTOR collection, etc)

Marvels license in comparison is not exclusive and open for different devs to bring a variety of products out all over the place (but also has been oddly underserved, you'd think we'd have a ton of MCU related offerings by now trying to emulate which Rocksteady did with Batman.)

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019

Literally every modern Star Wars videogame is touched by EA. From Console Blockbusters to Mobile gatchas and even an MMO, yet somehow Warner Bros are allowed to make two Lego Star Wars?

I guess the Lego games are the exception to the rule because they are adapting the feature films and not creating an "original" Star Wars narrative for video games.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
EA doesn't like Nintendo or more so they don't/didn't like Nintendo rules to be on their platform. I think it is more of they don't have an idea to put it there. MUA3 is coming from the re-release of other MUA games and that f2p marvel brawler game so they probably saw those and decided they wanted to do it.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Nevermind Star Wars.. I want a new Mickey Mouse game as ambitious as the Epic Mickey duology :(.. seems something Nintendo would have the interest in funding; I don't know why this haven't happpened yet

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Nevermind Star Wars.. I want a new Mickey Mouse game as ambitious as the Epic Mickey duology :(.. seems something Nintendo would have the interest in funding; I don't know why this haven't happpened yet
Why would they put themselves through the incredible hassle of working with the Mickey Mouse license when they have their own franchises like Mario an Zelda that don't come bundled in ten million rules and restrictions set forth by Disney?

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
They signed a 10 year exclusive deal with EA. That's why.
This. Also, Nintendo worked with Marvel Games, who handles game licensing mostly independent of Disney proper (who are more hands-on with the Star Wars IP from a game licensing standpoint). Obviously they still have a say regarding Marvel games, but they aren't anywhere near as involved as most would think.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if there are limits to EA's deal? Like them completely overlooking the current top US console limits?

Oct 20, 2018
Brazil

I wouldn't exactly call the Epic Mickey games ambitious (Especially the second one, which sucked imo), but I agree. Hopefully that Disney remake ends up being Epic Mickey since it was a good game that had potential to become even better with a proper remake that fixed some stuff here and there.

Edit: Actually I wish Disney would license their IP's for games more, so many good ones that have potential for great games, like Big Hero 6, Zootopia, etc.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
That cancelled Rogue Squadron Wii collection would have been awesome.

Amnixia

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Others already said it, but yeah EA exclusivity.

Disney could have tried to coerce EA to make a Switch game but I don't see what that would really achieve (especially given EAs output, they cancelled as many games as they launched).

Personally hope that after this licenses deal ends they just sign off on pitches by devs/publishers.

Oct 29, 2017
Lots of people correctly mentioning the EA deal but it's also worth pointing out that it's not Disney working with these companies but Marvel, I assume LucasArts would have the same ability once the deal is over.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Star Wars? Why not Mickey Mouse or some property like that?

Using something like Mario Odyssey, 3D World, or Captain Toad for a base for a Mickey Mouse game seems solid.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017

LEGO licence is an entirely separate beast all on its own.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars? Why not Mickey Mouse or some property like that?

Using something like Mario Odyssey, 3D World, or Captain Toad for a base for a Mickey Mouse game seems solid.

It would, but Nintendo would probably sell more copies of Odyssey 2, 3D World 2, or Captain Toad 2 anyway, without having to give some kind of cut for using Mickey.