• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OtterMatic

Oct 25, 2017
Original Paper
disney_deepfake_sample.0.gif

Full video: comparison start ing 3:03

The Verge: Disney's deepfakes are getting closer to a big-screen debut
How close are deepfakes to being used in big-budget films and TV shows? Pretty damn close, if a new demo from Disney is anything to go by. In a video and paper being presented at a computer graphics conference this week, researchers from the House of Mouse show off what they say is the first photo-realistic deepfake at a megapixel resolution.
As the researchers suggest, what's new here is the megapixel resolution. Megapixels may no longer be the byword for high-quality images that they used to be. (The camera on your phone probably has a double-digit megapixel count for a start.) But so far, deepfake tech has focused on smooth facial transfers rather than amping up the pixel count.

The deepfakes you've probably seen to date may look impressive on your phone, but their flaws would be much more apparent on a larger screen. As an example, Disney's researchers note that the maximum-resolution videos they could create from popular open-source deepfake model DeepFakeLab were just 256 x 256 pixels in size. By comparison, their model can produce video with a 1024 x 1024 resolution — a sizable increase.

Apart from this, the functionality of Disney's deepfake model is fairly conventional: it's able to swap the appearances of two individuals while maintaining the target's facial expressions. If you watch the video, though, note how technically constrained the output seems to be. It only produces deepfakes of well-lit individuals looking more or less straight at the camera. Challenging angles and lighting are still not on the agenda for this tech.

Really impressive. Hopefully this will make us forget that uncanny face in Rogue One

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
Take this and tell me that Harrison Ford doesn't have any Robin Williams-esque stipulations about his likeness being used and then make a new Indiana Jones TV-series on Disney+ with Jamie Costa as the foundation to lay Ford's face over. I can see him being happy about it as he'd be getting paid for even less acting than he usually tolerates.

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
Take this and tell me that Harrison Ford doesn't have any Robin Williams-esque stipulations about his likeness being used and then make a new Indiana Jones TV-series on Disney+ with Jamie Costa as the foundation to lay Ford's face over. I can see him being happy about it as he'd be getting paid for even less acting than he usually tolerates.
As much as this technology bothers me, I can't help but be on board with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.