• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Qassim

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Yeah, that's not what that post said.

And having an actor who's from a country right next to another is a damn sight more accurate than having some random white va play someone of Pakistani descent. It's not all or nothing.

'More accurate than having some random white va play someone of Pakistani descent'

No it isn't, not in this context. It may as well be 'some random white'. They don't represent Pakistani ethnicity, or even more specifically Pakistani-American ethnicity - which is quite significantly different than just Pakistani ethnicity too.

It's such a reductive view.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
'More accurate than having some random white va play someone of Pakistani descent'

No it isn't.

The character and voice actress aren't merely Pakistani and Iranian. There's the "-American" part you keep leaving out, and that first-gen immigrant aspect is closer than just having Jessica Hale voice her.

That does not mean it's "good enough," just better than the more typical, worse alternative.

Qassim

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
The character and voice actress aren't merely Pakistani and Iranian. There's the "-American" part you keep leaving out, and that first-gen immigrant aspect is closer than just having Laura Bailey voice her.

That does not mean it's "good enough," just better than the more typical, worse alternative.

Sure, the American aspect of their ethnicity are commonalities which can be more closely matched. But stick any-number of other ethnicities in front of that suffix and it'd be as accurate as 'Iranian-American'.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
This topic is close to home. I believe that anybody should be able to act as any character. That's the beauty of voice acting in particular. At the same time, an actor of the same ethnicity as a given character may be able to bring a sense of empathy or authenticity to that character that may otherwise be missing. A good actor could still bring that character to life regardless but I think that diversity within a cast and especially within the industry as a whole is a good thing. Talent is always a key factor but it doesn't have to be the only factor when casting. It's not an easy topic to discuss honestly. I think that it should be ok for Phil LaMarr to play Samurai Jack and not be condemned. But I also think that it should be ok to praise casting Auli'i Cravalho as Moana. Just as a couple of examples.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, the American aspect of their ethnicity are commonalities which can be more closely matched. But stick any-number of other ethnicities in front of that suffix and it'd be as accurate as 'Iranian-American'.

Not any, no. African American or Native Maerican are simply far more different from Pakistani-American a character/person pair with relatively recent immigrant parents growing up in the US. Ironically, to suggest all of the above are equal is reductive or "boiling them all down" as the same.

Did Ms. Marvel even grow up in Pakistan?

Oct 25, 2017
How is casting a Iranian American person to play a Pakistani American person "ethnically accurate"?

An Iranian person would have as much similarity with a Pakistani person as Laura Bailey would have with a South African mercenary.

It seems like you're less concerned about ethnicity and more concerned with skin color, if "they're both brown skinned" is good enough for you.

maybe they are both baloch? idk

Qassim

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Not any, no. African American or Native Maerican are simply far more different from Pakistani-American a character/person pair with relatively recent immigrant parents growing up in the US. Ironically, to suggest all of the above are equal is reductive or "boiling them all down" as the same.

I didn't say 'any', I said 'any-number of'. There's quite a significant difference there. So no, I wasn't coming close to suggesting 'all of the above' are equal.

data

Oct 25, 2017
This topic is close to home. I believe that anybody should be able to act as any character. That's the beauty of voice acting in particular. At the same time, an actor of the same ethnicity as a given character may be able to bring a sense of empathy or authenticity to that character that may otherwise be missing. A good actor could still bring that character to life regardless but I think that diversity within a cast and especially within the industry as a whole is a good thing. Talent is always a key factor but it doesn't have to be the only factor when casting. It's not an easy topic to discuss honestly. I think that it should be ok for Phil LaMarr to play Samurai Jack and not be condemned. But I also think that it should be ok to praise casting Auli'i Cravalho as Moana. Just as a couple of examples.
Definitely agree.

When it comes to jobs, you shouldn't be basing on race as that's against the law. Ability is always high up there but I would like it if there were more diverse people to get these roles so that they can build the ability and go on to other roles.

CosmicArmor

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
User banned (permanent): Dismissing concerns surrounding accurate representation
I don't care who voice acts for who as long as they do a good job.

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
I'm getting the message here that hiring a French person to voice a German video game character is a step forward vs having an American voice actor do it. Neighboring countries and all.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Punch Out Wii went to extreme lengths to provide characters with voice actors that match their nationalities. Like Bald Bull being voiced by a Turkish voice actor or getting an actual Spaniard to voice Don Flamenco instead of just hiring a Spanish-speaking VA and call it a day.

Hell, to the best of my knowledge they got a German VA that spoke with a Berlin accent to voice Von Kaiser.
This is particularly ironic when you consider that Punch-Out is probably the most over-the-top racist video game series of all time. Lol.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 week): insensitive commentary surrounding representation over multiple posts in this thread
I didn't say 'any', I said 'any-number'. There's quite a significant difference there.

Someone having at all similar life experience to their character could let them bring something more to their portrayal—if you don't consider any possible crossover of specific ethnic groups across the country lines of Iran and Pakistan, and how that above life experience similarity could still exist between an Iranian-American person & Pakistani-American character more so than, say, an Irish-American va, then what word needs to go in place of "accurate" in that post to make it at all acceptable to you?

I'm not seeing the argument that having actors who have at least some background parallel is as bad as some background not remotely similar, so I want to know what wording would be at all more palatable so this discussion doesn't happen again.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
This thread hasn't generated good discussion.
Feel free to make a new thread with better framing in the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.