• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Freakylinks

Nov 4, 2017
The only thing they will ever fine-tune and make better at some point is this weird interconnection with the Xbox app, cause it kinda has no purpose and is the main reason why it feels a bit weird to use. I don't even know why this is a thing, I guess it's because of weird law reason of telling you "if you click connect now, it's Discord who's responsible" other than that, I don't know. If I connect Spotify to my console, PS and Xbox, it goes directly to the system via the same network, easy and instantly without any Xbox app confirming. So I can definitely see them trimming it away in the future so it really feels seamless.

I can't see them ever making a separate app and I'm kinda shocked how many people now say they would want that, cause it's just unnecessary.
As if anyone here would ever want to start an extra app on the console, scroll through all your channels and then audio channels with a controller before starting your game, and then when you want to do something, change group etc. change back to the app and do that manually on the console. Like.... come on.
If you want to play something via Spotify do you start the extra console app, go through your playlist there and start something, maybe even use the search bar with your controller? Of course not. You start your phone app, super fast slide and switch through the stuff you want and press play on Console X, done.

If they can eliminate this weird Xbox App process and you can even faster join a channel with just clicking on it on your phone and it automatically opens on the console on which you're already sitting and playing with your headset anyway, that's all you really need for convenience, you will feel silly for ever wanting an extra console app once they streamline this.

Like this is the whole misunderstanding in one posting. It's not, it simply isn't. Yes the account connection, the first step is a bit buggy currently, but once you have it connected, you never have to do that again and from here on, it's just choosing a Discord voice channel, click on Xbox (like you would choose Xbox/PS/TV for playing songs via Spotify after deciding the song/playlist) and then before seamlessly opening the chat on your console, it sends you to the Xbox app where there is just one more click which is basically accepting the terms of service and the chat starts and you can close everything.
It's just one more redirection than you usually have and it's like 5 seconds or so, it's nothing even close to what Nintendo did.

oh my bad! so ya only have to do this ONCE on your phone? so every time after that you never use your phone? i will try this out later on my xbox and hopefully like ya said if i turn off my xbox and turn it on i dont need the app to get in again.

Freakylinks

Nov 4, 2017
?????????????????

Let me remind you what is Nintendo Switch's voice chat :

1u3razlj.png
yeah and that was a HUGE inconvenience just like using your phone everytime you chat on xbox would be too. which thankfully someone mentioned doesn't work that way.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
It's a mobile button right now, but I'm curious if the action will be available on the desktop app, and by extension the web browser version. At which point you'd be able to navigate discord chat entirely from an Xbox alone, just simply using the web browser. Discord does after all work on Chromium Edge.

Freakylinks

Nov 4, 2017
It's a mobile button right now, but I'm curious if the action will be available on the desktop app, and by extension the web browser version. At which point you'd be able to navigate discord chat entirely from an Xbox alone, just simply using the web browser. Discord does after all work on Chromium Edge.
so is this transferring your call from mobile to xbox? is whats going on? so i cant just load up discord on xbox and browse my chats or form a call?

dont get me wrong btw its awesome discord is hitting consoles, but it needs to be standalone. this is a great start!

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
so is this transferring your call from mobile to xbox? is whats going on? so i cant just load up discord on xbox and browse my chats or form a call?

dont get me wrong btw its awesome discord is hitting consoles, but it needs to be standalone. this is a great start!
yes it basically migrates your discord call into an xbox party so that you can listen natively on Xbox alongside your game (but it's still discord, not an xbox party)

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
oh my bad! so ya only have to do this ONCE on your phone? so every time after that you never use your phone? i will try this out later on my xbox and hopefully like ya said if i turn off my xbox and turn it on i dont need the app to get in again.
You do use the app each time.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
Hopefully this'll come to Playstation and Nintendo if possible. Me and some buddies play Rocket League often enough and use Discord and this would be so nice to not have to be tethered to a phone or computer when playing on the couch.

HonestAbe

May 19, 2020
I'm in my mid 40s and I'm constantly amazed by the number of people on Era who say they don't "get" Discord. There's nothing to get. It's a chat server app that integrates voice chat and streaming in an intuitive way with a simple, clean interface. It's literally just technologies we've all been using for 20 years rolled into a user friendly package.

Yeah it's like a mix of TeamSpeak/Roger Wilco, ICQ, and IRC all rolled into one and easier to use.

Like if you're an "old" gamer, you've probably used or atleast familiar with them.

Last edited:

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I'll be surprised if there ends up being a native app on any console. This feels easier for them (updates, usability etc), gets you using the discord app on mobile and potentially PC, and probably more likely to sign up for Nitro. The mobile app is great anyway so not really a problem if they go that direction.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I'll be surprised if there ends up being a native app on any console. This feels easier for them (updates, usability etc), gets you using the discord app on mobile and potentially PC, and probably more likely to sign up for Nitro. The mobile app is great anyway so not really a problem if they go that direction.
Where I'm at as well. This seems to be how Discord wants to approach it, doesn't surprise me considering they use React Native for the mobile apps and ElectronJS for the desktop apps. They probably don't want to have a ton of different versions.

Bill Gaitas

Oct 25, 2017
I saw the button on the desktop app when I was testing it but I had my Xbox off at that point, will test tomorrow

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand

It's transferring the call in the sense that's it's telling your Xbox to connect to it, yeah. The Xbox UI lacks a way to navigate discord by itself, but it still handles the call itself. They just lack a standalone client, but if it works from the web browser as well then it can be as close to stand alone as can be without a dedicated app for navigation.

And let's face it, all a lot of apps are nowadays is just a web browser with a singular function, so would there truly be a difference? :P
The only limitation with the web browser right now is you can't stay in the call while doing something else, so if the button to move the call to Xbox is made available there, that solves (almost) everything.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I can't see them ever making a separate app and I'm kinda shocked how many people now say they would want that, cause it's just unnecessary.
As if anyone here would ever want to start an extra app on the console, scroll through all your channels and then audio channels with a controller before starting your game, and then when you want to do something, change group etc. change back to the app and do that manually on the console. Like.... come on

Yeah this is one of the big reasons I don't think we'll see a native app on consoles. The usability would be so poor. It might work ok if you were in one server with one voice chat channel but even that would be clunky navigating around with a controller. The more I think about it the more I don't see any reason for their to be a native app on console.

Freakylinks

Nov 4, 2017
It's transferring the call in the sense that's it's telling your Xbox to connect to it, yeah. The Xbox UI lacks a way to navigate discord by itself, but it still handles the call itself. They just lack a standalone client, but if it works from the web browser as well then it can be as close to stand alone as can be without a dedicated app for navigation.

And let's face it, all a lot of apps are nowadays is just a web browser with a singular function, so would there truly be a difference? :P
The only limitation with the web browser right now is you can't stay in the call while doing something else, so if the button to move the call to Xbox is made available there, that solves (almost) everything.
yeah thanks every one for answering tho! i already got discord on my phone so its really no big hassle i GUESS haha i still would like it standalone on the console but god this is so much better then default voice.

sorry panicing in my initial reaction i had flashbacks of using my phone for voice chat on switch. phew

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't think we'll ever get a standalone app. Discord with a controller just doesn't seem like it'll be a good UX, and Discord likely won't want to maintain apps on several platforms. Pretty sure the current desktop app is Electron based so they don't have to worry about doing a standalone web, PC, Mac and Linux build. Hell, Microsoft has done the same thing with Teams. Just how development seems to be going these days.
I'm in my mid 40s and I'm constantly amazed by the number of people on Era who say they don't "get" Discord. There's nothing to get. It's a chat server app that integrates voice chat and streaming in an intuitive way with a simple, clean interface. It's literally just technologies we've all been using for 20 years rolled into a user friendly package.
It's so weird lol. Like, do y'all in corporate jobs not use Teams or Slack? It's like that, but better lol

Sangral

Feb 17, 2022

You do need the phone to go through your Discord channels and choose a chat, but you never have to use this QR code again with linking your account. That's a one time thing.

After that, just go through your Discord on the phone, scroll through your stuff fast and convenient, choose the voice channel you want to join, click on the Xbox button and it basically starts the chat on your TV (with the slight redirection of accepting terms on the Xbox App).

Its basically exactly how you already use Spotify or YouTube in connection to your TVs/Console. (Besides the Xbox App redirection) It's the most convenient way. Long term, nobody would want to use a whole native app every single time for going through endless channels and switching around voice chats with having to minimize or close your game every single time. The second screen organization of all that stuff is so much more natural.

Last edited:

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
I ask a question to one of the discord engineers who was responding to questions over on ars techica on why its done this way, and here is his response.

Mask of Destiny
There are a few reasons why call initiation is done from mobile currently. Discord is a fairly large product so porting the entire thing to a console environment would be a pretty large undertaking and it's not even clear this is really desirable. The typical console setup features a display at a considerable distance from your face and a controller as your only real input device. Making Discord work well in that kind of environment is a tricky UX problem. Now obviously it would be possible to provide some basic support for joining channels directly from an Xbox without necessarily having the entirety of the app ported over, but the UX issues are still not trivial. A power user that's in 100 Discord servers potentially has a lot of audio channels to choose from.

Meanwhile, you have folks that are already doing a bunch of hacky workarounds like what MadMac_5 mentions to use Discord with their consoles. Delegating the "pick which channel" to join to the existing mobile client avoids the hairy UX issues and reduced the engineering scope. This let us deliver a solution for those existing users faster. As is, it was a pretty large undertaking. I joined the project mid-October last year and we've been working on it continuously since then to get to this release today.

Like I said, I can't really comment on future plans, but we will iterate from here. How people use this initial release and the feedback we get will be taken into account for that.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Uff, the audio quality alone is SO much worse in in-game voice chats in comparison to Xbox Party, Playstation Party or Discord, it's not even funny.

I doubt many people will choose any of these options based on the audio quality. This is all about following your friends. If you aren't using in-game chat and you're using a party instead its likely some of those people aren't even playing that game - you just want to keep in touch with friends while you play something. This is a logical extension of that and should make it much easier to keep in touch with people that don't even have xbox

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
It's maybe due to the fact that when you download and register you can't immediately see or do anything. Like you can't then search for 'Mario' or 'Fishing' to see active groups and pick one to join. In a sense the invite-only system is pretty user-unfriendly and I wonder if people who have problems using it have bounced off at this point…?
Because of course yeah once you've joined a few groups it's just a chat app and nothing users of WhatsApp et al should be confused by at all.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm with those that have no need for additional chat as the native one that comes with Xbox is perfectly fine for my gaming sessions, have no issues partying up with friends on PC and Xbox (and mobile). But good for those that use Discord though.

eujuan

Oct 29, 2017
It's maybe due to the fact that when you download and register you can't immediately see or do anything. Like you can't then search for 'Mario' or 'Fishing' to see active groups and pick one to join. In a sense the invite-only system is pretty user-unfriendly and I wonder if people who have problems using it have bounced off at this point…?
Because of course yeah once you've joined a few groups it's just a chat app and nothing users of WhatsApp et al should be confused by at all.
You can do that though? There's a Explore Public Servers button at the bottom of the left menu tab that lets you search for communities

Toaster05

Nov 20, 2017
I'm on the Alpha skip ahead ring but I had to give up with it in the end. For some reason while I was setting up the access side of things I had an error that popped up relating to Discord linking to Xbox (I was previously linked as I have my gaming activity showing up on Discord as my status) and now I have no way for the Discord to hand over to the Xbox app.

No amount of leaving beta programs and rejoining them has fixed it. To be honest whilst is a fantastic feature to have the average person isn't going to like jumping through all these hoops.

Silav101

Oct 26, 2017
I hope PS doesn't go this route and just has a standalone app or even better integrate it into the Party Chat function.

If I have to use my phone to join the call, then transfer that call to my console so I can be in it while on the PS5, I might as well just use my phone to have voice chat in the first place.

May 25, 2019
London

In my experience, friends who have been Nintendo-only gamers for a while and missed out on the rise of party chat on console and Teamspeak/Vent on PC are the most confused by it.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I ask a question to one of the discord engineers who was responding to questions over on ars techica on why its done this way, and here is his response.
Completely understandable and thanks to you for asking and posting the question (and answer) here.
I hope PS doesn't go this route and just has a standalone app or even better integrate it into the Party Chat function.

If I have to use my phone to join the call, then transfer that call to my console so I can be in it while on the PS5, I might as well just use my phone to have voice chat in the first place.
eathdemon asked a Discord developer why the decision was made. Just click on the quote and you'll find the long dev response.

I can only speak for myself. I didn't like to use my smartphone while playing FF14 on my PS. During raids for instance I missed the audio of the game, because I talked to teammates via my headset using the app on a smartphone. Discord on consoles solves that and at least to me that makes a big difference. Fingers crossed PS and Discord have a solution for PS soon!

Last edited:

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I'm on the Alpha skip ahead ring but I had to give up with it in the end. For some reason while I was setting up the access side of things I had an error that popped up relating to Discord linking to Xbox (I was previously linked as I have my gaming activity showing up on Discord as my status) and now I have no way for the Discord to hand over to the Xbox app.

No amount of leaving beta programs and rejoining them has fixed it. To be honest whilst is a fantastic feature to have the average person isn't going to like jumping through all these hoops.
would probably be beneficial to submit a report about your issues.

Smoshow

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome news. This will be amazing for cross play games. Looking forward to seeing it on all platforms eventually

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
In my experience, friends who have been Nintendo-only gamers for a while and missed out on the rise of party chat on console and Teamspeak/Vent on PC are the most confused by it.
I know a Nintendo-only guy (not even that old, maybe late 20s/very early 30s) who was using Facebook Messenger with his friends for voice chat. I tried to explain Discord and why it's obviously a better option than calling people on a social media platform but he was so reluctant to do it.

Silav101

Oct 26, 2017
I can only speak for myself. I didn't like to use my smartphone while playing FF14 on my PS. During raids for instance I missed the audio of the game, because I talked to teammates via my headset using the app on a smartphone. Discord on consoles solves that and at least to me that makes a big difference. Fingers crossed PS and Discord have a solution for PS soon!
I do this myself, both for FF14 and for Destiny 2 whenever I'm raiding with my group(s). Making me use my phone to search and initiate calls with friends on other platforms instead of having an integrated app solution gives me no added value whatsoever, because I might as well just stay on the phone. I have no issues hearing the game audio and talking on discord on the phone headset, myself - I just set my threshold for when my mic activates higher so others aren't bothered by my audio.

Chille

Jan 7, 2018
Completely understandable and thanks to you for asking and posting the question (and answer) here.
eathdemon asked a Discord developer why the decision was made. Just click on the quote and you'll find the long dev response.

Il be honest this is why I invested in a dual bandwidth headset recently. I got it paired to my PC and my PS5 so I can hear both at the same time.

May 14, 2021
So is this like the Destiny app where you set up matchmaking on your phone and then it kicks it off for you on the console and then you no longer need your phone?

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Massive for cross play games. Currently my kid plays Dead by Daylight with his friends on his PS5, They are all on Xbox, so he has to use Xbox Party Chat while he games on his PS5 lol. Its convoluted.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
really hope this means the same for PS; though regardless, I only hope that happens if the Discord VC shows up in the console recordings. Would love to record play sessions with friends, get clips of those moments that have us in stitches but you'd never know because of the separation of gameplay recording and voice chat.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

Not that it makes it more intuitive (I honestly still struggle with even just the menus), but I think at least part of the platform's appeal is the way its mini-communities have that basic "filter" of there needing to be some social connection to potentially join. So much online and social media is just an unmitigated flow of random folks, I can understand the appeal of this. You're right that it's less user-friendly, but there's some value in not giving everyone on the platform a direct path into every other discussion group.

I'd bet you're right that people frequently bounce off from this setup, though.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I definitely hope this ends up coming to PS also.
And that by then they have a better solution than "Use your phone to connect." Even just a simple list of voice channels grouped by server would be a million times better.

But this seems like a really cool first step.

Deleted member 12867

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cool hopefully native apps come for Xbox and PlayStation. It would be nice to be able to talk to my friends regardless of platform.

DWarriorSN

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PA
Will this use discords audio system for the person speaking from the xbox?

Refering to like the noise suppression stuff.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020

Xbox chat has noise suppression on it already (it was introduced earlier this year), it'd be pretty disappointing if they disabled it for the Discord chat. My money is on it being on by default.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Discord Xbox inteview with a Xbox developer

View: https://youtu.be/XLAe2SKLaOc?t=1446

View: https://twitter.com/Ridzilla/status/1550160545285869570?t=7f-JiD7ndKMEuEWghmZH0w&s=19

Even just a simple list of voice channels grouped by server would be a million times better.
I hear you, but this wouldn't be easy for the developers and probably a hassle to navigate with some having lots of servers with lots of voice channels. Considering the response of the developer in the video and another dev in the link below, I don't expect a native app or a list of all servers. I like your idea though and believe having like a history of the last 5 discord voice channels you joined listed in the Xbox Guide would do the trick for many. Granted I don't know how hard this would be to develop, because I never worked for Discord or Xbox. But at least this solution should prevent some UX headaches and for most of the consumer be effectively the same as having a app on console to select the servers, because most people probably don't join more than 5 parties regularly anyways.

Post in thread 'Discord Voice Chat coming to Xbox consoles' https://www.resetera.com/threads/discord-voice-chat-coming-to-xbox-consoles.609801/post-90312132

Last edited:

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I hear you, but this wouldn't be easy for the developers and probably a hassle to navigate with some having lots of servers with lots of voice channels. Considering the response of the developer in the video and another dev in the link below, I don't expect a native app or a list of all servers. I like your idea though and believe having like a history of the last 5 discord voice channels you joined listed in the Xbox Guide would do the trick for many. Granted I don't know how hard this would be to develop, because I never worked for Discord or Xbox. But at least this solution should prevent some UX headaches and for most of the consumer be effectively the same as having a app on console to select the servers, because most people probably don't join more than 5 parties regularly anyways.
Oh definitely, I bet it's a real pain in the ass to get those two things to work together in an elegant way at all but I have some hope given they talk about iterating on this implementation, they at least seem to realise it's not really ideal. Having to use my phone to do something on my console is just a straight up bad UX imo there's a reason all the "Second Screen" pushes from last gen were complete failures.

But like I said, I think this is fine as some kind of temporary first step. I hope Discord and Xbox (and Playstation ideally) get to the point where they have solutions that are better integrated into the consoles.

For my consumer brain "Just pull all the voice channels into a list, maybe show the text for the private chats like how parties work on Xbox/PS already" is easy. My programmer brain is just screaming endlessly at even considering it.