• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't be surprised if it's more on Discord's side. I imagine Microsoft would have no issue with Discord wanting to develop and support a dedicated app for this. Wouldn't be surprised if Discord made this setup for both consoles (PS5/XBS) and it'll be simple enough to hook up to for Microsoft/Sony.

Now the question is if PS5 will support screen sharing.
That was kinda my thought process as well. Easier to manage from Discord's side and easy to intergrade on MS/Sony's side.

Guess we should wait until Sony's inevitable PS5/Discord integration though.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
Never used Discord, but glad to see this as some of our gaming circle when solely or mostly PC so it will be nice to be easier to have voice chat with them for those of us only on consoles for cross play games.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
That was kinda my thought process as well. Easier to manage from Discord's side and easy to intergrade on MS/Sony's side.

Guess we should wait until Sony's inevitable PS5/Discord integration though.
Together, our teams are already hard at work connecting Discord with your social and gaming experience on PlayStation Network. Our goal is to bring the Discord and PlayStation experiences closer together on console and mobile starting early next year, allowing friends, groups, and communities to hang out, have fun, and communicate more easily while playing games together.
The bolded part makes me think that Sony's implementation will be identical to Xbox's.

TheFurizzlyBear

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if the way the implementation was done was an MS decision or Discord decision. Wonder if it's a case of Discord not wanting to support more platforms so just kind of route it through the mobile app as a stopgap or this is just a temporary solution until more solid integration is added.
It was probably a joint decision on how to make it work.

blamite

Oct 27, 2017
I bought that new Xbox wireless headset specifically because it could connect to the console and my phone for Discord at the same time. With the way it looks like this works right now I'll probably just keep doing that, but this is a great first step that I hope they build on going forward! And hopefully the Playstation implementation is at least as good!

oriic

Prophet of Truth - Press
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Hungary
"Once your Discord account is linked to Xbox, you can hop in a channel you'd like to talk in using Discord just as you normally would. On the Discord mobile app, you'll see a new option to Join on Xbox. At this point, you'll need the Xbox app to transfer voice chat from your Discord account to your Xbox. If you have it installed, the Xbox app will launch and let you connect the Discord Voice chat to your Xbox Series X|S or Xbox One console."

So it needs the mobile app at startup. That's not the Discord integration I'm looking for...

Bobsjourney

Jul 19, 2020
This got me wondering though. If you need to join vc on discord mobile to then transfer it to xbox, does that mean ur phone will always have to be in discord vc or is it "free" once youve transfered it to xbox side?
And if it does stay, does that mean ur audio gets interrupted if u get a phone call or some shit?

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
"Once your Discord account is linked to Xbox, you can hop in a channel you'd like to talk in using Discord just as you normally would. On the Discord mobile app, you'll see a new option to Join on Xbox. At this point, you'll need the Xbox app to transfer voice chat from your Discord account to your Xbox. If you have it installed, the Xbox app will launch and let you connect the Discord Voice chat to your Xbox Series X|S or Xbox One console."

So it needs the mobile app at startup. That's not the Discord integration I'm looking for...
I guess Discord making a controller navigateable app on console would be the first logical step

Pennybags

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
This got me wondering though. If you need to join vc on discord mobile to then transfer it to xbox, does that mean ur phone will always have to be in discord vc or is it "free" once youve transfered it to xbox side?
And if it does stay, does that mean ur audio gets interrupted if u get a phone call or some shit?
Hopefully we get some answers on this soon if it's going to Alpha Skip-Ahead people today.

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
While it would be nice if everything was native, I don't really see the big deal about needing the mobile app to make the connection. Who doesn't have their phone with them all the time? Taking 10 secs to transfer the call from the app seems pretty trivial.

Sangral

Powered by Friendship™
Feb 17, 2022

That does sound like the best solution for everyone.
To be honest, just thinking about scrolling through my Discord with all my channels and all the voice channels in theses channels on a console with a controller sounds like an absolute mess. I have no idea why anyone would want that.
It's like throwing YouTube videos from your phone on your TV, quicker, simpler, faster. 🤷‍♂️

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
Oh what happens if you get a call on the phone? Is the phone transferring the data to your xbox or is the xbox connecting to the discord chat?

Sangral

Powered by Friendship™
Feb 17, 2022
But that linking allows me to transfer the voice chat to console, so it worked exactly as it should. I simply scanned the QR code in Tom's video.

So, that could be an Android issue then? Or is anyone else on apple having this problem? Reddit is full of people having that loop, feels like almost no one can get it working.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
So, that could be an Android issue then? Or is anyone else on apple having this problem? Reddit is full of people having that loop, feels like almost no one can get it working.
Maybe, I don't have an android device to test with at hand. All I know is I'm using the regular App Store version of Discord and the linking process allows me to transfer voice chat (not that I can use it due to not having the Xbox update).

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
Per The Verge:

A bit inelegant but still nice!

Do_you_guys_not_have_phones__-_BlizzCon_2018_Diablo_Immortal_reveal_0-21_screenshot.jpg

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
People saying that they they thought that Sony had inked some sort of exclusivity deal: obviously they didn't, but Discord would have been supremely dumb to do so; the whole point of them expanding the reach is for Discord to become THE go-to cross platform gaming comms service which is not a goal they could ever hope to achieve by arbitrarily limiting its reach.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Got it working - it didn't work properly for me until I had connected the Xbox app to my console (so I could stream and manage the library etc)
Once the Xbox app was showing that ok, discord worked fine (even if the login loop appeared to be a thing)

Basically go to a voice channel, you'll have the option to transfer to Xbox

(If you don't, you need to swipe up from the bottom of the screen to see more options)

It should open the Xbox app on your phone and give an option to transfer audio to your console.
It'll pop up on the console and then work.

You can close phone/discord once that's done

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019

Yeah, I definitely want an answer on this. I hope I only have to set it up once per session and then not worry about my phone while playing.

But regardless, this is still huge great news and a big step in the right direction.

You can close phone/discord once that's done

It just creates the connection between the discord server and the Xbox server. It doesn't care about you phone and you can even turn it off after the transfer.

Ah thank god lol thanks

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, I definitely want an answer on this. I hope I only have to set it up once per session and then not worry about my phone while playing.

But regardless, this is still huge great news and a big step in the right direction.
It just creates the connection between the discord server and the Xbox server. It doesn't care about you phone and you can even turn it off after the transfer.

Rask

Oct 25, 2017
When I see complicated loopdeeloops to get something working it makes me think that a native solution just isnt possible, either technically or legally. Reminds me of the disc-based netflix streaming app for PS and Nintendo back in the day. At least the MS moneyhats eventually expired in that case. Wonder what's holding up a simple app for this one?

Sangral