• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Very weird, considering a year ago we had this

www.sie.com

Announcing PlayStation’s new Partnership with Discord

At PlayStation, we’re constantly looking for new ways to enable players around the world to connect with one another, form new friendships and communities, and share fun experiences and lasting memories. It’s in this spirit that we’re excited to announce a new partnership with Discord, the...

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
That's pretty cool! Discord was one of the biggest factors that was missing for me to game more on console.

Streusel

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 28, 2017
the really cool thing is this will enable true crosscoopplay between xbox and playstation in the future

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
Very weird, considering a year ago we had this

www.sie.com

Announcing PlayStation’s new Partnership with Discord

At PlayStation, we’re constantly looking for new ways to enable players around the world to connect with one another, form new friendships and communities, and share fun experiences and lasting memories. It’s in this spirit that we’re excited to announce a new partnership with Discord, the...

as stated in this thread, Microsoft also had the same partnership years prior so they probably had more time for its implementation.

Mr Eric

Oct 28, 2017

BitterRoot

Jul 4, 2022
I keep seeing things like this, but MS is a software company first and foremost. They're going to produce features at a faster rate.
I agree but then you have stuff like Xbox video recording stuff that is beyond bad compared with PS stuff.

Maybe Discord on PS will be exactly like this solution too, since they are really slow with significant updates. I guess there is no way to know until confirmed.

It's good to see Discord on console anyway, good news.

Last edited:

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What the fuck is Sony doing when they announce a partnership over a year ago and Microsoft still beats them to the punch on what actually matters lol
Can be the difference that Sony is working on actual native integration, or can be that Sony is working on a similar solution that relies on mobile and it's just taking them a bit longer to get to.

We won't know until we see Sony's solution announced as well which hopefully that happens sooner than later. All of that aside, the fact we're finally seeing Discord VC on console... so good.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I need to double check but I think they changed that a few months ago. You should be able to switch rings from the insider app.
news.xbox.com

Are you interested in joining the Alpha or Alpha Skip-Ahead rings? - Xbox Wire

The Xbox Insider team is excited to announce that we are looking for the next wave of Xbox Insiders interested in joining one of our Alpha rings. Alpha and Alpha Skip-Ahead are “invite-only” rings that receive builds earlier than the rest of the Insider rings. Both rings may receive features...

As of Nov 2021 they're still invite only I think they just opened it up to allow anyone to apply to join them rather than seniority based or somethin

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Bit of a Nintendo implementation with the phone hand-off, but better than nothing!

Hope we see more of this going forward.

Mr Eric

Oct 28, 2017
news.xbox.com

The Xbox Insider team is excited to announce that we are looking for the next wave of Xbox Insiders interested in joining one of our Alpha rings. Alpha and Alpha Skip-Ahead are “invite-only” rings that receive builds earlier than the rest of the Insider rings. Both rings may receive features...

As of Nov 2021 they're still invite only I think they just opened it up to allow anyone to apply to join them rather than seniority based or somethin

thanks for correcting me. I new they changed something to join Alpha and Alpha Skip rings but thought it was permanent and not a one time.

HonestAbe

May 19, 2020
This is huge. When my friends and I play stuff like Sea of Thieves, we usually have multiple platforms in the mix. It's always a pain. Xbox voice chat on PC doesn't work well for one of them, and the logistics of running discord on a PC or phone while playing on an Xbox is cumbersome.

This will solve that issue and make it so much less annoying to coordinate.

Very True. I also hope this is a neat work-around for the party chat bug where you can't hear/speak in-game if you go into party chat first before setting sail.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
As of the past few years, I truly love the Discord app. I wish this support was more integrated into Xbox's OS or on offer as a minimalist app that could be controlled from the Xbox itself, but I'll take this over nothing. Hope it comes to PS5 as well!

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
Awesome idea for Xbox. I also scratched my head reading this and being Xbox and not Sony. I wonder if Sony's implementation is gonna be different but it's still mind boggling it didnt launch there first.

Oh well, awesome not having Discord is one of the downside to playing on console and I'm glad it's one less hurdle between platform.

May 30, 2018
news.xbox.com

weird. i'm in Omega but don't see that survey thing about joining other rings. hopefully this rolls out more widely soon.

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
That is really nice. Like, the implementation sounds weird and probably adds some unnecessary trouble for the end user, but it is better than nothing.

I only play on cloud and I have 2 friends with XSX. Whenever we want to play it is always a hassle to talk and we end up using discord. Sadly they lose a bit of game audio because of that choice. Gladly, this will be changed with that integration.

I hope discord also comes to PlayStation and Nintendo. And a dedicated app would be better, I believe.

Mr Eric

Oct 28, 2017
weird. i'm in Omega but don't see that survey thing about joining other rings. hopefully this rolls out more widely soon.

if you are Omega, you should first start to try lower rings like Delta or Beta (need 5xp and 3 months in any insider ring to apply) and get some XP there, this will help for the next time they open up the alpha ring. You also need to be ready to see some strange things happening in Apha, I never had some huge breaking bugs, but the road is a bumpy one there.

quail_lad

Aug 3, 2021
I'm sure discord will be working to get this on all platforms asap. Their ambition is almost certainly in turning discord into the default social app for all of video games.

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
We absolutely need this on PlayStation too. Discord calls have taken favorability over locked console party chats. I've got friends on both platforms. Lemme chat with them! Lol

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
This is huge. Since the days of Ventrilo and TeamSpeak I've wished someone would bring something like that to consoles. When I saw discord come along I knew it would only be time until that happened. Took a bit longer but it is here.

Geeze somehow I completely forgot about Ventrillo and Teamspeak lol. Pretty much the foundation of my CS:S, TF and WoW days.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm stunned it took this long. Discord has been the dominant service for what, seven-eight years now already? Xbox got the Discord status integration in early 2017 and I figured voice functionality would be soon after. 2022!

Glad it's finally here though

May 14, 2021
Used Xbox voice chat for the first time since the 360 days recently and it was total shite. Audio was cutting in and out constantly, so I'm happy this is coming! Hoping for PS soon, too, since my experience there was better, but not by much.
You're an outlier then. Xbox party chat is so much clearer and cleaner than Nintendos and Sonys. Coming from being on PS4 only all of last gen, I was amazed how much clearer Xbox party chat is. People who I know in real life actually sound like themselves, which was never the case last gen on PS4. I'm assuming MS gives party chat more bandwidth than Sony does.

Tigerfish419

Banned
Oct 28, 2021
Fascinating how people can transform something like this in console wars.

Bruh right, how the fuck does an announcement like this turn into console wars and or feature begging I guess you could call it? lol I find it weird how always in Xbox threads like this it's always, hope Sony does this or hope PS5 gets this feature too. I want it on everywhere too just to be clear, just this is an Xbox announcement and probably should be focused on that not asking for it to come to PS5 too.

OT: this is amazing news like many have said I hope streaming to Discord comes too because that would be cool.

gr8kamon

Oct 30, 2017
I used to get into a Halo 2 lobby to chat with my friends while playing World of Warcraft. Wild what a journey voice chatting has been and now we're at a pretty much ubiquitous solution

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Discord has always the next step for console voice communication everyone uses it.

It got to a point where we all bought capture cards for our PC's so we could listen to PS/XBOX/Switch and talk to eachother in 1 place.

I used to get into a Halo 2 lobby to chat with my friends while playing World of Warcraft. Wild what a journey voice chatting has been and now we're at a pretty much ubiquitous solution
I remember talking to my friends on the phone while we did 2v2's in SC and talking to friends on XBOX while playing WoW. I never really messed with TS on PC but i will always have a soft spot for vent.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
You're an outlier then. Xbox party chat is so much clearer and cleaner than Nintendos and Sonys. Coming from being on PS4 only all of last gen, I was amazed how much clearer Xbox party chat is. People who I know in real life actually sound like themselves, which was never the case last gen on PS4. I'm assuming MS gives party chat more bandwidth than Sony does.
They implemented the Skype audio codec back in the Xbox One days and have been improving it ever since. I think the last improvement they added this year was noise suppression which provides clearer speech even when there's significant background noise. Having spent a lot of time on Teams video calls their audio tech is really decent, wouldn't be surprised to hear the Skype codec on Xbox was replaced with whatever they're using in Teams these days

AEF1907

Dec 18, 2021
Is Discord that good? I never had to use it for voice chatting because my friends are all in the same ecosystem (PS).

gr8kamon

Oct 30, 2017
Discord has always the next step for console voice communication everyone uses it.

It got to a point where we all bought capture cards for our PC's so we could listen to PS/XBOX/Switch and talk to eachother in 1 place.

I remember talking to my friends on the phone while we did 2v2's in SC and talking to friends on XBOX while playing WoW. I never really messed with TS on PC but i will always have a soft spot for vent.
lol yup I can't believe we've gotten this far. Kids these days will never know the pain of someone else in your house needing to use the phone while you're in the middle of a match