• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
User Banned (2 Days): Arguing in bad faith over a series of posts.
What a ridiculous post. GMG is only a key reseller, and doesn't have the huge costs that Valve has with Steam.

I'm merely responding to a comment from one of your allies that alleges GMG only survives because they offer very steep discounts.

What does that have to do with Valve's costs?

Extremely disappointed with the responses I've received thus far.

ezodagrom

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
So you're saying smaller stores will have a much harder time to compete, while big ones with investors like Tencent can use their financial muscle to get rid of them?
Not exactly, in the end all of this depends on a couple of possibilities:
- The Epic and Discord stores become popular, forcing Steam to lower their cut if they want to compete, which would directly affect the other stores which sell mostly Steam keys (among others).
- The idea of 90/10 or similar cuts gains traction independently of the Epic/Discord stores success and more stores start using similar cuts as well (which would result in higher overall prices for users due to stores losing the ability to have high discounts based on their cut).

Of course it's also quite possible that neither situation will happen, that neither the 90/10 or similar cuts will gain traction or that the Epic/Discord stores will gain popularity.

eseqko

Oct 27, 2017
2020: Google Game store gives 100% of money to developers as long as they do not circumvent Google's AdSense technology now embedded in every game!

no1

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Just don't forget to check if the game you bought off Discord implemented their always online DRM. Though I'm sure you all have amazing internet and don't have data caps or periods with no internet so that's a non issue.

https://discordapp.com/developers/docs/dispatch/branches-and-builds#drm
Nice one just straight up lying about that DRM, it's saying you need to be logged in. Not online. Logged in means even while you're offline. You've basically just caused an issue out of nothing. Good one fam.

Startropper

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how Discords plans for a pc storefront falls inline with Microsoft trying to acquire them, because MS also has their own store.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
2020: Google Game store gives 100% of money to developers as long as they do not circumvent Google's AdSense technology now embedded in every game!

Shockingly plausible, that a company will grant 100% revenue to devs on the condition that they integrate some sort of advertising API, pushing ads to gamers or collecting info.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
There's already curated stores? Like almost every store besides Steam and Discord once that changes goes in? Not sure how itch.io works but GOG, Origin, Battle.net, Uplay and Epic are all curated stores.
Origin and uplay are game publisher focused stores.

Battle.net for the longest time was no different than going to any other independent developer selling their games directly. Now they have become a game publisher focused store.

Gog by nature of its drm free policy is going to be more restricted in who it can pick and choose from. In certain ways it's curated not by choice.

Epic could also be a curated store.

The problem is that Epic is so new it is premature to declare offering a curated experience is something they will embrace.

Ultimately though none of the stores today offer a proper curated experience.

In stores that sell music and movies you can read up on staff reviews and general articles that gives you a deeper understanding of the people curating.
At stores that don't lean on this approach they rely on a panel of industry experts and disclose who those people are and what they voted on so you have some sense of the disparate focuses.

There is more too it but what barely exists for gaming curation doesn't have the indepth focus or sophistication of other stores.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Nice one just straight up lying about that DRM, it's saying you need to be logged in. Not online. Logged in means even while you're offline. You've basically just caused an issue out of nothing. Good one fam.

You can't be logged in if you're offline. Discord will log out the instant you lose connection to their servers.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
One has to wonder if stores did that a couple of years ago, Housemarquee would not be jumping the BR wagon...
I see the point you're trying to make, but it doesn't apply in this case. HM were funded by Sony, who collect 100% of sales on PSN. That's one reason why games like Spider-Man, God of War and others don't have MTX, because the games are earning the publisher 100% of $60 instead of 70% of $60.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
And maybe the as consumers we should be okay with paying the equivalent of MSRP on these games rather than going to stores such as GMG (or more shady sites) for a substantial pre-release discount if that's the sacrifice we have to make in order for this to happen.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I don't see this as a solution to the problem. If companies like Green Man Gaming, Humble Bundle, and Fanatical have to start raising prices I don't think consumers are going to go "Hey prices are higher, let me buy more games now". I see less games sold overall which means less revenue for everybody.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
"Support devs by giving them bigger share"
"Don't buy games on day 1"
Mate...

Day 1 price: $60
Discount you want: 20%
Price paid: $48

If the store eats that discount: Developer gets $42 (60*.7). Steam gets 6 (60*(.3-.2))

Day 45 price: $48

If the store remits 90 percent of the total sales price to the developer: Developer gets $43.20. Steam gets the rest. So technically the developer would get more revenue.

If his only argument against not giving developers a higher revenue split is "Oh no, my day one discounts!" That's a pretty shitty argument.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
I really do think Steam could announce "OK, you're boring us now. We're dropping our cut to 10% for everyone. All you other stores can officially and permanently go away now, because you're irrelevant".

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Always saw Discord as the one place that could compete with Steam if they added a great store and more community features in general, since they already have the entire PC community hanging around on their app.

datamage

Oct 25, 2017
because we all know having walmart, target, best buy and Amazon means higher prices for the consumer, right?

Not quite the same thing. Even if Best Buy takes a loss on a game sale, or make minimal profit off of it, they look to fuck you with one of the other many types of products they sell. If a site like GreenManGaming can no longer make a decent cut for themselves, they have the potential of ceasing to exist. Ultimately, removing those discounts for PC gamers.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
2988705.gif
Lol. Discord just went 7 minute abs on Epic!

Oct 25, 2017
Housemarque was a console dev before they had to go PC to make up for their poor console sale. You should be asking Sony about that cut and not any store on the PC space.
I see the point you're trying to make, but it doesn't apply in this case. HM were funded by Sony, who collect 100% of sales on PSN. That's one reason why games like Spider-Man, God of War and others don't have MTX, because the games are earning the publisher 100% of $60 instead of 70% of $60.
When I said stores, I meant all of them. It's also a random rambling because of the infamous Housemarque statement, but I really do wonder if this could help niche genres.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Your posts reads like « The sky is falling » in many more words.

I seriously just don't understand your paranoïa at this point. Just having Steam doesn't benefit the consumer and storefronts vying for your money will only mean price wars just like in retail.

Because we all know having walmart, target, best buy and Amazon means higher prices for the consumer, right?

Oh, you get me wrong. I'm actually for MORE storefronts. I'm for less launchers though.

Razer opened their store this year. I already used it MORE than I bought on Steam this year. I especially like their Razer exclusive sales. If you buy a featured game, that is often with a light discount, you get a 10€ discount to be used on a 20€ purchase minimum.
Thanks to that, I bought Moonlighter, which gave me a 10 bucks coupon... That I used to purchase 20€ of indie games.

See, that's how competition works. And I redeemed all of these on Steam, to enjoy their amazing features.

Now all of this was possible because of Steam's policy on steamkeys.

If we get a 10% cut for storefronts though ?
All of these store die. We only get storefronts with launchers, backed by big companies.

And when two of them decided to practice store exclusivity... Well...

In fact, I totally agree with you. More storefronts means lower prices. That's what it meant as Steam is the bigger ecosystem/launcher.

But Epic and even Discord ? They go against that mindset. It'd be like Gamestop buying exclusive rights to selling PS4 games and lowering their videogame cut to the point Amazon and Best Buy cant sell it lower than 3-4% of their MSRP.

Deleted member 1759

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
That's nice and all. And I already use Discord daily.

But I never have and don't think I ever will buy a game from them. There's just no incentive for me. I buy games where they're the cheapest, so not even Valve gets my money in most cases but some 3rd party store + the dev.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Day 1 price: $60
Discount you want: 20%
Price paid: $48

If the store eats that discount: Developer gets $42 (60*.7). Steam gets 6 (60*(.3-.2))

Day 45 price: $48

If the store remits 90 percent of the total sales price to the developer: Developer gets $43.20. Steam gets the rest. So technically the developer would get more revenue.

If his only argument against not giving developers a higher revenue split is "Oh no, my day one discounts!" That's a pretty shitty argument.

Yeah, people paying less is a shitty argument.
Devs dont owe us anything but we owe them everything.

Nov 1, 2017
Preach.

A 30% cut has never sat well with me. Content creators shouldn't lose nearly 1/3 off the top. Even 20% seems so much more reasonable.

I mean, it seemed to sit alright with the hundreds of publishers/devs that went along with it for over a decade. And they're the ones making the hard business decisions, not you. It's industry standard whether it sits well with you or not.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it seemed to sit alright with the hundreds of publishers/devs that went along with it for over a decade. And they're the ones making the hard business decisions, not you. It's industry standard whether it sits well with you or not.

Why do you think devs are creating their own launchers? They don't like the revenue cut.

ToKre

Mar 11, 2018
We need an app that combines all ypur accounts on PC storefronts and friend lists and achievemens.. So on into one place .

Oct 25, 2017
How long until Facebook (Owner of instagram ,whatsapp, Oculus, etc ) opens a steam-like game store where everything goes to the dev because they are making their money with the ads?

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts

They certainly don't look super ok with it going into 2019, though.

I think the industry standard is a result of either closed systems (iPhone, Android) or a lack of real competition (Steam). As a consumer, I'd like to see more of my money going directly to the people actually making the games I'm paying for.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We need an app that combines all ypur accounts on PC storefronts and friend lists and achievemens.. So on into one place .

I mean... that's kinda Discord already, it does the communication and friendlist stuff better than any storefront and is a multi-launcher and is selling games.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At some point these pc store margins are so low I wonder what the business model is here.

(Outside of discord selling to someone in a few months probably so they don't really care)

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
The problem is not consumers leaving Steam. I care about developers leaving Steam...
Till now the developers who have left steam like EA,Bethesda haven't announced that their games are coming to either discord or epic store so they have no intention of coming back whether its 70% or 90% of the cut.
And the other indie games you see exclusively on these stores are paid for exclusivity time period and are coming to steam anyways later.