• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Discord has the potential to be a better version of Slack, Teams, Skype, and all the others. I was a writer for Gamnesia and was there for their transition from Slack to Discord and saw firsthand how much better and smoother everything was. There were downsides, but it was immensely more convenient for everyone.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Does this mean they're erasing all the 'hip gamer speak' from their loading screens?
As long as they remove the cringe gamer jokes that people have been asking to remove forever, that's fine.
I hope this means I stop seeing those dumb gamer jokes whenever I boot it up lol.
Please remove the cringe gamer speak from the loading screen.
Will this mean their shitty jokes and humor will stop too?

Goodness, well I guess I'm in the minority here then, but I found it endearing and added to the experience. I also may have slightly internally laughed at a few.....

I actually kinda want discord to stay to its niche. I feel like sometimes that's when things get out of hand when companies try to expand, but I totally understand it.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Funny. He was talking about how it's so easy to make a separate channel to discuss different topics when compared to slack. Not quite what you're looking for, I know, but still nice. Helps that his company is still pretty small.
The primary Discord server I'm on literally just has everybody posting in general. There's some niche channels for things like Nintendo friend codes and stuff, but for the most part, everything's posted in a general channel, and in that case it'd be nice to be able to respond directly to a post rather than hoping it doesn't get lost in the sea of other general posts.

I can see where having different channels is useful though. At least when I was using Slack in college, having topic-specific channels was nice.

Goodness, well I guess I'm in the minority here then, but I found it endearing and added to the experience. I also may have slightly internally laughed at a few.....
I wasn't a fan of their videos, but I'm gonna miss their patch notes.

Virtua Saturn

Oct 27, 2017
Really happy about this. It's better than Slack, Teams, and Zoom. Already convinced some non gamer people to use it for hanging out and movie night.

Kalem

May 23, 2019
The primary Discord server I'm on literally just has everybody posting in general. There's some niche channels for things like Nintendo friend codes and stuff, but for the most part, everything's posted in a general channel, and in that case it'd be nice to be able to respond directly to a post rather than hoping it doesn't get lost in the sea of other general posts.

I can see where having different channels is useful though. At least when I was using Slack in college, having topic-specific channels was nice.

Discord does have a quote function for messages to reply directly to them

Apr 25, 2020
This was inevitable. Discord is used for MANY things now. People are using it to escape toxic social media like Facebook

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Really happy about this. It's better than Slack, Teams, and Zoom. Already convinced some non gamer people to use it for hanging out and movie night.
I'm actually curious if they're ever gonna be required to crack down on stuff like this? We've been using the screen-sharing for movie and fight nights as well.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Makes sense. A lot of non-gamers have been using it for a few years now.

Bring on Discord VR in the future. That's where this is all going.

julian

Oct 27, 2017

I believe he will just create and delete channels for features and bugs so all the info about them is kept in one place. They also keep the video/audio chat open so people can just unmute and start conversation at anytime.

Bomi-Chan

Nov 8, 2017
i like discord since 2014/2015. great and it rose in numbers last year tremendously.

i have seen some guys posting nazi-stuff lately in some channels and hope they will be deleted. this shit cant exist.

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I mean I used it to primarily chat with music creatives and artists as a mastering engineer/mixer to give advice and tuts on hardware and software soo this isn't news to me but I'm glad they're trying to be more generalised on focus. It doesn't stop anyone from having their gaming channels/rooms either. The game related jokes were cringe worthy anyway... Good move I think.

Nov 14, 2017
makes sense, and I hope it works out for them.

Chances are that in the next 5 years another web client/App will fill the gaming niche.
I'm not sure what more you'd want in terms of a gamer specific service. Discord has the best integrated voice / text chat, media, and screen sharing out of most of the community collaboration apps out there like Slack or Teams.

CatSoul

Nov 7, 2018
The new site is a little too bright...or maybe I just don't like change. Either way, this is the final nail in the coffin for Skype. Their biggest audience now is going to be kids Skyping with their grandparents who don't want to learn a new platform and whose parents have read horror stories about Discord. (Nasty shit happens on Skype too, but it doesn't have big public chat rooms so it has gained a safe reputation among even the strictest parents for private chats.)

Virtua Saturn

Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually curious if they're ever gonna be required to crack down on stuff like this? We've been using the screen-sharing for movie and fight nights as well.

Same, I think they will crack down on large servers with 100 people watching a stream but it would weird if they cracked down on me and my 5 friends. Like, how much more different is it than watching a movie with my friends in my living room pre-covid?

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017

I actually kinda want discord to stay to its niche. I feel like sometimes that's when things get out of hand when companies try to expand, but I totally understand it.

It just made me wonder how many people stare at the loading icon to get angry.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
It might as well become the Skype replacement we've all been wanting.

With that said, why haven't they still replaced their installer on Windows? I can't seem to select which directory Discord is installed, and it keeps defaulting to the C:/UserData/User/Appdata directory.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Yeah this move makes sense, Discord these days primarily used as an easy-to-manage chat room service rather than voice chat for gaming.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Plenty of people already use discord for non-gaming stuff so not sure how this'll change anything lol.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
Discord could be a better twitter than twitter if only every company would use it. At least if you use it as a news source like i do. For instance I don't care about your retweets, I don't care about another xbox gamepass tweet asking what i will play tonight, i don't care that you have some new merch to sell. On discord i go to their server, link the channels i care about and get the news that are tailored to me and nothing else. An example, the Sea of thieves twitter posts and retweets a lot of stuff i don't care about but i follow it for the news. On discord i just linked their channels related to game announcements and patch notes to my server and ignored the rest. I get everything thats relevant on my own server and none of the things i dont care about.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017

Discord transcended their niche years ago, this is just them embracing it.

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
I'm not sure what more you'd want in terms of a gamer specific service. Discord has the best integrated voice / text chat, media, and screen sharing out of most of the community collaboration apps out there like Slack or Teams.
Yeah, I guess what I'm thinking is I remember the days where team speak was the thing, then Ventrilo, (Then I dropped out of gaming), then discord. If I remember correctly, each of these kinda fell from gaming culture and then something came up to fill it's space.

Chances are a new need/preference will arise with gamers who want something specific that "Random small company" offers. And that small company will gain popularity in the gaming niche.

Obviously, discord is very popular and a very robust system with lots of features. They'll be around for a long time.

Nov 14, 2017
Yeah, I guess what I'm thinking is I remember the days where team speak was the thing, then Ventrilo, (Then I dropped out of gaming), then discord. If I remember correctly, each of these kinda fell from gaming culture and then something came up to fill it's space.

Chances are a new need/preference will arise with gamers who want something specific that "Random small company" offers. And that small company will gain popularity in the gaming niche.

Obviously, discord is very popular and a very robust system with lots of features. They'll be around for a long time.
Yea, people used to use Vent, Mumble, or TS in combination with IRC. Slack was kind of a thing for a while in some places, but not really. Discord has all that stuff integrated in one place tho. It solves the problem.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I think it's a shame they're dropping their core niche. It's going to feel more bland and all-reaching. I know people were already using it for non-gaming purposes, but now I guess they're too big to ignore. I think it's lame they're doing this.

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
Yea, people used to use Vent, Mumble, or TS in combination with IRC. Slack was kind of a thing for a while in some places, but not really. Discord has all that stuff integrated in one place tho. It solves the problem.
I agree, I just think that there will be something that gamers specifically want that discord wont have (like super low latency voice, idk...) . But that feature will be included in discord, but will be in "Game Talxs" (Shoot me if that is what it's called)

Deleted member 13148

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was a pair of binoculars...
It's obviously Mickey Mouse's pants.
_rlxXyqlN7pe8cFSOwGQikFJyi0tK8h2bAXTzRPVth8.jpg

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
My work actually uses Discord for general voice chat over large groups rather than Teams. We also use it for our weekly D&D Sessions, and it's been a pretty solid platform for that too. Very little issues overall.

Discord has been wonderful. I'm happy they're going to break out into more things.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just glad they're getting more funding. I just hope they keep some of the aesthetics they currently have and don't become yet another soulless app with little to no personality.

Lewpy

Oct 28, 2017
Good luck with that. I mean I'd want to try and widen the appeal of a successful service if it were mine, but gaming is what brought it to the forefront. They're going to have to bring out some serious artillery to break the link in that chain.

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Does this mean they're erasing all the 'hip gamer speak' from their loading screens?
As long as they remove the cringe gamer jokes that people have been asking to remove forever, that's fine.
I hope this means I stop seeing those dumb gamer jokes whenever I boot it up lol.
Please remove the cringe gamer speak from the loading screen.

...they got rid of it months ago.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
I have Teams for work and I hate it compared to Discord. Teams has some better functionality in terms of education and what not, but it fails everywhere else. Using office suite in Teams is a bit slow and the video conferencing is not as good as Discord. Teams also has the issue that it feels like Skype and Sharepoint were merged and are kept together with a whole lot of prayers and duct tape.